Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Writing A Living Memoir

Horror Fiction Writer

I am not experiencing writers block necessarily and I don't have any problem with motivation, I just seem to keep putting off writing more words. I am on chapter four, in rough, and have a long way to go, but I am weary of the possibility that the book won't be successful enough for me. I am not worried about others' criticism or thoughts on it once it's done, I am afraid it won't be good enough for me. I know this sounds silly. I have stopped myself several times, eying something I've written and wanted to edit. I know that what was written was good stuff, but I still had the urge to change it; make it better. Am I lost or what?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Shari Holmes said:

I am not experiencing writers block necessarily and I don't have any problem with motivation, I just seem to keep putting off writing more words. I am on chapter four, in rough, and have a long way to go, but I am weary of the possibility that the book won't be successful enough for me. I am not worried about others' criticism or thoughts on it once it's done, I am afraid it won't be good enough for me. I know this sounds silly. I have stopped myself several times, eying something I've written and wanted to edit. I know that what was written was good stuff, but I still had the urge to change it; make it better. Am I lost or what?

Save each copy before you change it.  Make your changes and leave everything alone for a while.  Do something relaxing, or completely different than your routine that you enjoy that has nothing to do with writing.  In a couple of weeks go back and read both versions, decide which one you like better.  I think you are just too critical of yourself, which is very common.   People who don't go through this are abnormal.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:19 PM, Desertrat56 said:

Save each copy before you change it.  Make your changes and leave everything alone for a while.  Do something relaxing, or completely different than your routine that you enjoy that has nothing to do with writing.  In a couple of weeks go back and read both versions, decide which one you like better.  I think you are just too critical of yourself, which is very common.   People who don't go through this are abnormal.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  I've always heard that the secret to success in creating copy or laying down memories for posterity was to write SOMETHING every day.  There will be time to edit later.  Best luck to you!

• Like 1