Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aliens could be sending quantum messages, study claims

3 hours ago, Berwen said:

It seems very unlikely that an alien civilization would want to communicate with us if they find out what a mess we are making of the planet Earth. 

How do you know aliens haven't messed up their planet even worse?

• Like 3

On 7/6/2022 at 9:24 AM, the13bats said:

Its a speculative theory and,

We can play make believe all we want about what if aliens exist and ehat if they do this or that,  what this does show off is even radio signals are horribly flawed.

And totally unrealistic. 

If ET was to communicate with us, clearly electromagnetic (radio and light) would be the way to go. To fire off a proton or whatever entangled with another one in the hope that we would detect it, catch it and be able to confine it is, well, pretty hopeless. 

And sending that poor lonely particle would take the same time to arrive. Yes, we we would have instant communication, but only if we had the means to do so. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badeskov said:

And totally unrealistic. 

If ET was to communicate with us, clearly electromagnetic (radio and light) would be the way to go. To fire off a proton or whatever entangled with another one in the hope that we would detect it, catch it and be able to confine it is, well, pretty hopeless. 

And sending that poor lonely particle would take the same time to arrive. Yes, we we would have instant communication, but only if we had the means to do so. 

ET is not using radio waves because ET is not interested in civilizations that are not [even] able to use quantum communication. They have seen those before and learned can bring no benefit to them.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701 said:

ET is not using radio waves because ET is not interested in civilizations that are not [even] able to use quantum communication. They have seen those before and learned can bring no benefit to them.

Are you talking about the Stargate Ancients?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/9/2022 at 4:17 PM, NCC1701 said:

And you know this how?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/9/2022 at 6:05 PM, badeskov said:

And totally unrealistic. 

Whatever the means, if it takes decades, centuries to reach ET then that long to hear back, my ADD is out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trelane said:

It's so incredibly vast, how would we ever know?

AAZuWv9.jpg

We likely wont.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trelane said:

It's so incredibly vast, how would we ever know?

AAZuWv9.jpg

At this point in my time ive come to the conclusion no matter how badly my OCD bulks there will be unknowns, unexplained things in my world ive seem some members here who i greatly respect in many areas post fairly adamantly that we are it when it comes to life in the universe they have very good reasons why they feel that way i do not share that opinion.

Life finds a way, and as rare as intelligent life might be and as oddly as it might come packaged im not sold we are "it" that said due to the vastness of the universe and timing meaning the intelligent alien race and us have to be at least close enough in evolution to interact i do not count on any close encounters,

If there were contact i really do not fear any "mars attacks" type scenarios, of course that remains to be seen and im not confident on any contact happening, but sure i believe there is life out there, pretty sad its in my unknown folder.

• Like 1

After decades time, it seems that a certain prayer has finally been answered

Edited by Autistocrates
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

After decades time, it seems that a certain prayer has finally been answered

I like intruder better but ruin slams the dance floor every time.

On 7/6/2022 at 11:42 PM, Manwon Lender said:

It makes perfect sense especially since the Universal language is Binary.

Really? How could we know what language is Universal? Have we talked with aliens already? Must have missed that...

It may sound logical that binary code should be used, but in a couple of centuries - if we're still alive - we may find that idea laughable and primitive.

Btw., remember the movie "The Arrival", and the 'sign language' the aliens used to communicate? I always kind of liked that.

https://conlang.stackexchange.com/questions/53/is-the-alien-writing-in-arrival-really-a-language-can-we-form-custom-sentence

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Really? How could we know what language is Universal? Have we talked with aliens already? Must have missed that...

It may sound logical that binary code should be used, but in a couple of centuries - if we're still alive - we may find that idea laughable and primitive.

Btw., remember the movie "The Arrival", and the 'sign language' the aliens used to communicate? I always kind of liked that.

https://conlang.stackexchange.com/questions/53/is-the-alien-writing-in-arrival-really-a-language-can-we-form-custom-sentence

Thanks for your comments, yet while I realize currently it’s unproven it’s still theoretically very possible. In reality I doubt mathematic we’ll change, I suspect it will only evolve as our knowledge increases over time.

Mathematics: The Beautiful Language of the Universe: https://www.universetoday.com/120681/mathematics-the-beautiful-language-of-the-universe/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

How would we communicate with a bunch of numbers?

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Yes, it was science fiction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, astrobeing said:

Yes, it was science fiction.

Ask Manwon about the numbers.

And yes, the movie was not a documentary, heh.

4 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Ask Manwon about the numbers.

"Communicating by math" is a science fiction plot device. If we could communicate by math, we'd already have a mathematical language for communicating things that aren't math. We don't.

Hell, it's pretty difficult to get two computers to talk to each other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 2:36 AM, astrobeing said:

By looking for structure. Something non random. That's how WOW! became famous. 

If we picked up a signal describing the mathematical description of hydrogen for instance, we would know it's not a natural signature, like how pulsars confused us originally. It would initate first contact and put us in touch with each other. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 6:34 PM, psyche101 said:

By looking for structure. Something non random. That's how WOW! became famous.

Then you know that statistically you'll find what appears to be "structure" in any sufficiently long series of random numbers.

On 7/24/2022 at 6:34 PM, psyche101 said:

If we picked up a signal describing the mathematical description of hydrogen for instance, we would know it's not a natural signature, like how pulsars confused us originally. It would initate first contact and put us in touch with each other. 

Give me series of numbers that describe hydrogen.

8 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Then you know that statistically you'll find what appears to be "structure" in any sufficiently long series of random numbers.

That's irrelevant. Nothing like what I said in fact. The WOW! signal is an example of what I'm referring to.

8 hours ago, astrobeing said:

Give me series of numbers that describe hydrogen.

Seeing as you asked so politely......

Isotope mass:   1.007825

Excess energy: 7288.969±0.001 keV.

Edited by psyche101
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:08 PM, Abramelin said:

Just wondering if you are suggesting that there is communication method more basic or fundamental than using something like 1 and 0?

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 4:32 PM, psyche101 said:

Isotope mass:   1.007825

Excess energy: 7288.969±0.001 keV.

You didn't understand the question. You're using words. You think aliens are going to already speak English??? :lol:

And even worse, "keV" is a completely arbitrary unit invented by humans and will have absolutely no meaning to an alien.

So you need to use numbers. Here they are: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and 9. Well, it's even worse than that. That's a completely arbitrary base ten system but go ahead and use it since it will at least give you a chance!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, astrobeing said:

You didn't understand the question. You're using words. You think aliens are going to already speak English??? :lol:

And even worse, "keV" is a completely arbitrary unit invented by humans and will have absolutely no meaning to an alien.

So you need to use numbers. Here they are: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, and 9. Well, it's even worse than that. That's a completely arbitrary base ten system but go ahead and use it since it will at least give you a chance!

I gave you numbers numpty. I understand the question. It seems you don't understand the answer.

Is not a random number. If we get that sequence we know it's an intelligent transmission detailing the isotopic ratio of hydrogen, which says the sender is intelligent and has technology.

The measurement is superfluous. What we call keV they might call party pies. The values will be constant though 

As per wow 

Wow_signal.jpg

Is it just me, or are you an ass to everyone?

23 hours ago, Timothy said:

Just wondering if you are suggesting that there is communication method more basic or fundamental than using something like 1 and 0?

Not that I know of.

But we have no idea how aliens would communicate.

If one or more intelligent species is out there, they may well know more about physics than we do.  If they are behind UAPs, then they likely know a lot more about physics than us.  You'd think their preferred method of communication would rely on something FTL, if we assume that they can travel FTL imo.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:08 PM, Abramelin said:

Primitive would be the way to start though. 

It won't be laughable to use binary. It's how we communicate math to a computer. It doesn't understand words or numbers but it can process a 1 and a 0. 

It wouldn't be for communication. That would come later. More like a beacon. We have to find someone or they have to find us. Sending a digital signature shows up against background radiation. It's what SETI has been looking for for years now. 

Communication would be after that.