Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese city builds bridge around house after owner refuses to move

xizhimen

LOL.. Epic troll

Nail house
Traditional Chinese 釘子戶
Simplified Chinese 钉子户
neologism for homes belonging to people (sometimes called "stubborn nails") who refuse to make room for real estate development. The Chinese slang term, a 
pun, refers to nails that are stuck in wood, and cannot be pounded down with a hammer.

Edited by xizhimen
  • Haha 2

Taiwan TV: A nail house in Chinese Guangdong province holds their ground for 17 years, refuses to move unless the government pays them 300 million Yuan ($47 million)

Smart people...

A family holds their ground and refuses to move for 13 years, the government didn't back down, neither did the family, but because the house location is in in the middle of a flyover complex, a golden location for advertisement, some companies pay them to erect advertisement billboards on the house, this family made over ¥100 million, ($15,770,000 USD)during the past 13 years from the advertisement billboards.

最有远见“钉子户”,13年从未获任何赔款,但凭借这个收入过亿.

https://www.163.com/dy/article/GS86QT870537PG5Y.html

• Like 2

I had the wrong impression of china i thought they controlled their citizens.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, xizhimen said:

Smart people...

A family holds their ground and refuses to move for 13 years, the government didn't back down, neither did the family, but because the house location is in in the middle of a flyover complex, a golden location for advertisement, some companies pay them to erect advertisement billboards on the house, this family made over ¥100 million, ($15,770,000 USD)during the past 13 years from the advertisement billboards.

最有远见“钉子户”,13年从未获任何赔款,但凭借这个收入过亿.

https://www.163.com/dy/article/GS86QT870537PG5Y.html

Looks like this family knew what they were doing lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I had the wrong impression of china i thought they controlled their citizens.

Not too long ago I watched a documentary on NHK about corruption in the Chinese real estate industry and I can't think of how this would fit in with anything I saw in that.  From what I remember a developer leases the land from local government to build on and rents or sells space in the structures but after a certain amount of time the land rights revert back to the local government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Not too long ago I watched a documentary on NHK about corruption in the Chinese real estate industry and I can't think of how this would fit in with anything I saw in that.  From what I remember a developer leases the land from local government to build on and rents or sells space in the structures but after a certain amount of time the land rights revert back to the local government.

I guess i was thinking askew i knew even America ( gov ) will just take land they want ask any native American,

I was under the impression in china they the gov owned basically everything and allowed it people to do what ever they do, maybe i was thinking lil kim land?

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Here is the catch, land ownership in China is banned however, home ownership is legal and supported by the law. So as long as a family owns its home even though the land under it is owned by the state the family can’t be forced to relinquish the ownership of their home. It seems pretty dam strange but it’s the way they do things as weird as it sounds.:wacko:

But, it does present problems if they try to sell their homes in some situations as the link below describes.

In China, Homeowners Find Themselves in a Land of Doubt: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/business/international/in-china-homeowners-find-themselves-in-a-land-of-doubt.html

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I guess i was thinking askew i knew even America ( gov ) will just take land they want ask any native American,

I was under the impression in china they the gov owned basically everything and allowed it people to do what ever they do, maybe i was thinking lil kim land?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here is the catch, land ownership in China is banned however, home ownership is legal and supported by the law. So as long as a family owns its home even though the land under it is owned by the state the family can’t be forced to relinquish the ownership of their home. It seems pretty dam strange but it’s the way they do things as weird as it sounds.:wacko:

But, it does present problems if they try to sell their homes in some situations as the link below describes.

In China, Homeowners Find Themselves in a Land of Doubt: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/business/international/in-china-homeowners-find-themselves-in-a-land-of-doubt.html

It certainly isnt practical most times and many times impossible but reminds me of a case in the early 80s late 70s here, the state wanted land with a house the owner refused to sell but ended up letting tgecstate move the house.

Odder yet, out at diznee here, i know a family who owned a very small patch of land right behind big thunder ride,

They had access etc of course diznee offered them way good money but greed hit they asked for more diznee said no thanks.

So last i talked to the guy in the family about it he said the actual owner died no will and they have been trying to get family control and sell it for whatever they can get for it now.