Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gems of Wisdom

Amita

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.
Solomon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Verily, verily, I say to you, he who rules his own self is greater than he who captures a city.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, Sherapy said:

On g~d claims;

“There really isn’t a polite way to tell someone they have dedicated their lives to an illusion.” ~David Dennett

I don’t need to dedicate my life to my illusion, any more than my illusion dedicates it’s life to me.   :wub:     We’re just friends.:P

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, lightly said:

I don’t need to dedicate my life to my illusion, any more than my illusion dedicates it’s life to me.   :wub:     We’re just friends.:P

Love this.:D

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Love this.:D

I’m glad   ..I was a little worried I might offend..  and ,no matter how sweet I think you are,  I don’t think it would be wise to tick you off! :P

I keep trying to come up with some Gem of Wisdom for Amita’s topic…    It will come ..in time. :)

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, lightly said:

I’m glad   ..I was a little worried I might offend..  and ,no matter how sweet I think you are,  I don’t think it would be wise to tick you off! :P

I keep trying to come up with some Gem of Wisdom for Amita’s topic…    It will come ..in time. :)

:D Smart man :lol:

• Haha 3

Hellre en bollkalle i kanalen än en kall balle i analen.

//Some swede after too many beers

Edited by Tomas S

The hedonist and the narcissist are cut from the same cloth. Neither care about others, they only care about themselves and what they desire. All others are just means to an end for them. Both are the lowest of people.

-This is my thoughts no one elses-

• Like 3

If you take an edible and in 15 minutes you don't feel anything, this is NOT an indication you should eat one or two more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The great man is not he who “takes a city” or “overthrows a nation,” but rather “he who subdues his own tongue.”

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

If you take an edible and in 15 minutes you don't feel anything, this is NOT an indication you should eat one or two more...

It is if it's Scotch.

• Haha 4

He who watches the wind will not sow and he who looks at the clouds will not reap.
‭‭Solomon

• Like 1

Our unrestrained readiness to take every (electronic) utterance as a definitive pronouncement, which does not require a patient attentiveness to its origin, to the nature and history of the person speaking, to the circumstances that bore it, and so forth, in order to grasp what is being said, is a sign that we take the indifference of words to reality as their native and normal condition. 

DC Schindler

• Like 1

Andrew Doyle, aka Tatiana McGrath on Twitter:

History does not look fondly on the hubris of those who, like Galileo’s inquisitors, appoint themselves as arbiters of permissible speech and thought. Their authority is only ever contingent on the wisdom of their time. Today’s free speech sceptics are characterised by a similar tendency to mistake self-satisfaction for infallibility. If nothing else, the story of Galileo is a potent reminder of the importance of freedom of speech, and how none of us can ever be sure which heresies of today will become the certainties of tomorrow.
I start from the proposition that free speech is nothing less than the keystone of our civilisation.

• Like 1

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. ~ Buddha (AN10.1)

When even one virtue becomes our nature, the mind becomes clean and tranquil. Then there is no need to practice meditation; we will automatically be meditating always. ~ Swami Satchidananda

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon

• Like 2

Science adapts its theory to reality, whereas ideology adapts reality to theory. This includes mechanistic ideology, which attempts to adapt reality to its theoretical fiction. It aims to optimize nature and the world.

M. Desmet, from ch. 3 of The Psychology of Totalitarianism.

• Thanks 1

Cowardice asks the question is it safe? Expediency asks the question is it politic? Vanity asks the question is it popular? But conscience asks the question is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is right.

—Martin Luther King Jr 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, simplybill said:

Cowardice asks the question is it safe? Expediency asks the question is it politic? Vanity asks the question is it popular? But conscience asks the question is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is right.

—Martin Luther King Jr 

Excellent :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Everything is better with mustard on it. Except mebbe ice cream... er....and mebbe chocolate cake...er.... okay, scratch that....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

During World War II, fighter planes would come back from battle with bullet holes. The Allies initially sought to strengthen the most commonly damaged parts of the planes to increase combat survivability. A mathematician, Abraham Wald, pointed out that perhaps the reason certain areas of the planes weren’t covered in bullet holes was that planes that were shot in certain critical areas did not return. This insight led to the armor being re-enforced on the parts of returning planes where there were no bullet holes. This wisdom was also beneficially applied to the Skyraider during the Korean War. This shows that the reasons why we are missing certain data may be more meaningful than the available data, itself. In questions of aircraft design, don’t only listen to what the evidence says, listen also to what is not being said.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 4:15 AM, Gummug said:

Everything is better with mustard on it. Except mebbe ice cream... er....and mebbe chocolate cake...er.... okay, scratch that....

Jalapeños - they’re definitely good on everything. Well, maybe not oatmeal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The difference between wishing and willing is that wishing is easy, but to will something requires action. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich W. Nietzsche
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1