Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boris Johnson: Tories vie for leadership as race to replace PM begins

Still Waters

Former health secretary Jeremy Hunt is considering a Tory leadership bid as the race to succeed Boris Johnson heats up following his dramatic resignation.

Allies claim Mr Hunt is attracting a lot of support from Tory colleagues.

Senior backbencher Tom Tugendhat and Attorney General Suella Braverman have already announced plans to stand.

A timetable for the Tory leadership race is due to be confirmed next week and the new prime minister is expected to be in position by September.

Continued:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62088847

• Haha 2

Buy now... 

AH-6785_2.jpg

~

• Haha 1

Think I would give Tugendhat a miss and Hunt looks like the boy wonder compared to Batman.

I would seriously consider Ben Wallace if he was to stand. As ex military he might be able to stop leaks and control the civil service. :gun:

"After training as a cadet at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, in June 1991 Wallace was commissioned into the Scots Guards as a Second Lieutenant, with a short service commission. From 1991 to 1998, he served in Germany, Cyprus, Belize, and Northern Ireland. In April 1993, he was promoted to Lieutenant, and also in 1993 was mentioned in dispatches, for an incident in Northern Ireland in which the patrol he was commanding captured an entire IRA active service unit attempting to carry out a bomb attack against British troops. In 1996 he was promoted to Captain."

"Wallace became a Conservative Member of the Scottish Parliament in 1999, as a list MSP for North East Scotland. He stood down in 2003, as he sought selection for a Westminster constituency in England. Wallace was the Scottish Conservatives' shadow health spokesman during that time.

From 2003 to 2005 he was overseas director of the aerospace company QinetiQ, the UK's former Defence Evaluation and Research Agency (DERA)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Wallace_(politician)#Political_career

• Like 1

Almost anybody but Jeremy Hunt, please.  I too favour Ben Wallace.  We’ll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Susanc241
Remove typo.

My vote is for Tom Tugendhat, for no other reason than he has such a wonderful name :w00t:! However, because he's a posh boy he probably pronounces it Too - jen - har :hmm:.

image.jpeg.a5f9f9b21575cc2fe1e31b5ef0c51161.jpeg

• Haha 3

The problem is.....

With no mandatory General Election until early 2025, the UK will be forced to endure yet another Prime Minister appointed (anointed?) by the Conservatives, for the next 2½ years.

:(

Edited by acute
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, acute said:

The problem is.....

With no mandatory General Election until early 2025, the UK will be forced to endure yet another Prime Minister appointed (anointed?) by the Conservatives, for the next 2½ years.

:(

With the fixed term parliament act removed it might be sooner. If a new tory leader wants a new mandate before the 5 years are up? 

They will have to recover lost tory voters first, so a change in direction on tax will be helpful. ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

With the fixed term parliament act removed it might be sooner. If a new tory leader wants a new mandate before the 5 years are up?

There's nothing stopping the PM calling a General Election at any time.

There's no minimum term, just a maximum.

• Like 1

That's what I just said, are you enjoying an alcoholic beverage tonight.  :tsu: 

The time for Boris to call an election has been missed, I would say.

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Haha 1

It's okay — I overstood.

(This is a Wordy Rappinghood)

Edited by acute
  • Haha 3

I support Nads. She has been reported as saying she will "throw her ring in the hat". She may have to work on how she comes across somethines:

Ben Wallace said he will not stand, so my first choice is not an option.

At least the brexit matter is settled, no candidate will try and backtrack on where we are now.   :yes:
So who jumps into the hot seat will be obliged to tap into the pool of brexit voters, come the next election.  ;)

Based on that even Sir Keir, with recent refusal to go back to the EU, could run for Tory leader. :lol:

I get the impression that it's going to be Sunak, his leadership campaign has been getting a lot of coverage, so the media seems to favor him.

10 minutes ago, Saru said:

I get the impression that it's going to be Sunak, his leadership campaign has been getting a lot of coverage, so the media seems to favor him.

Media... Really, Brits? You don't have majority to pick from? Well, Brits ruled over India, why not the indian ruling Brits.

After all, I would like to see Majumbo Tutukombi in Indian parliament. Ah yeah, obvious reason...

1 hour ago, Saru said:

I don't know how he squares the Rwanda policy with his campaign video:

4 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

There is a strong rumour Boris is going for it himself:

Downing Street is saying that this is false, however it hasn't exactly been a bastion of truth in recent years, so who knows.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/no-10-deny-reports-that-boris-johnson-is-planning-to-run-for-tory-leadership/ar-AAZoq3T

• Like 1

It's time to drag Ken Clarke out of retirement! :D

Seriously, though..... I would rather have the incompetent former PM Theresa May back in №10, than any of these ultra-right loons trying to "out-Boris" Boris.

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, acute said:

It's time to drag Ken Clarke out of retirement! :D

Seriously, though..... I would rather have the incompetent former PM Theresa May back in №10, than any of these ultra-right loons trying to "out-Boris" Boris.

I still have Johnson as favourite. Keeping him as PM will trash our democratic conventions- but that would be entirely inline with our present government's playbook.

I know Johnson is still popular amonst grassroots voters.His 'cheeky chappie' persona appeals to them, despite the reality being incompetance and greed.The Tories over the last decade have widened inequality and they are still the 'Nasty party'- Tory MPs still claim hundreds of thousands in expences for themselves while foodbanks have proliferated. 

Voters like his bluff and bluster and assurances he will get things done, even though he never actually gets anything done, except trash democracy.

The lack of competition also makes him attractive- the better-known challengers Raab, Truss and Braverman have an air of mild learning disability, Sunak an air of incompetance.

And of course, he hasn't actually left yet...

One said the absence of a strong candidate to replace Mr Johnson has led to calls to find a way of keeping him as leader. ‘None of them are much good,’ the source said.

Several donors have asked if there is ‘any way’ it can be arranged for Mr Johnson to simply apologise for his mistakes and move on, but have been told this was not possible, The Mail on Sunday understands.

Tory donors are privately asking if there is 'any way' to keep Boris Johnson as PM (msn.com)

Edited by The Silver Shroud

On 7/8/2022 at 3:37 PM, ouija ouija said:

My vote is for Tom Tugendhat, for no other reason than he has such a wonderful name :w00t:! However, because he's a posh boy he probably pronounces it Too - jen - har :hmm:.

image.jpeg.a5f9f9b21575cc2fe1e31b5ef0c51161.jpeg

If he throws his hat into the ring, it'll be just Too-jen.

One party grandee accused Johnson of installing unsuitable MPs to middle-ranking and junior government posts when he knew he was on his way out “to cause maximum problems for his successor” who would inevitably have to sack most of them on taking office.

“Those appointments were the most appalling thing I have seen in politics,” said the senior source. “It was obviously a move to sabotage his successor’s first weeks in office.”

Another senior figure in the government added that Johnson was so incensed at the way he had been ousted, having won such a huge mandate at the 2019 general election, that he was now intent on exacting revenge on those he saw as responsible, and on influencing events wherever possible from the outside.

Boris Johnson accused of trying to derail Rishi Sunak’s bid to be next PM | Conservative leadership | The Guardian

On 7/8/2022 at 3:05 PM, Susanc241 said:

Almost anybody but Jeremy Hunt, please.  I too favour Ben Wallace.  We’ll just have to wait and see.

I've just seen a comment on another site that the grass roots Tory voter will have a fit if we have a non-white PM. The cognitive dissonance will lead to heads exploding all around the UK. After all, the 2016 referendum was all about keeping them out, not putting them in power. It will be the final irony!

Article on the issue:It’s absurd to say the Conservative Party isn’t ready for a non-white leader - New Statesman (archive.ph)

Well, I am a “grass roots” Tory voter and it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest as long as they were up to the job, and fulfil the requirements for the position.  We don’t demand the party leaders or heads of Government have to be born in the U.K., like the president of the US has to be American born, thank goodness.  It’s what they do that counts, not what they are.

Edited by Susanc241
Clarifying statement added.

Looks like Zahawi's bid for the leadership has been sabotaged by whoever got the ball rolling on this:

Tory leadership candidate Nadhim Zahawi’s taxes under investigation

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/tory-leadership-candidate-nadhim-zahawis-taxes-under-investigation-reports/ar-AAZpz0U

Any bets on which of his fellow leadership candidates tipped off inland revenue ?