Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boris Johnson: Tories vie for leadership as race to replace PM begins

Still Waters

Penny Mordaunt becomes ninth Tory MP to launch bid to become PM as candidates pledge tax cuts

Conservative leadership candidates have come out swinging with pledges to slash taxes and plough on with controversial Brexit plans as a new contender joined the fray.

International trade minister Penny Mordaunt announced on Sunday morning that she will run for the top job, saying the UK’s leadership “needs to become a little less about the leader and a lot more about the ship”.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-10/penny-mordaunt-becomes-ninth-candidate-to-launch-bid-to-become-pm

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Penny Mordaunt becomes ninth Tory MP to launch bid to become PM as candidates pledge tax cuts

Conservative leadership candidates have come out swinging with pledges to slash taxes and plough on with controversial Brexit plans as a new contender joined the fray.

International trade minister Penny Mordaunt announced on Sunday morning that she will run for the top job, saying the UK’s leadership “needs to become a little less about the leader and a lot more about the ship”.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-10/penny-mordaunt-becomes-ninth-candidate-to-launch-bid-to-become-pm

The current issue is high inflation.

Inflation is cut by reducing demand, or sorting out the drivers causing it. On top of that there is the cost of living issue to resolve. A tax cut on its own will increase demand and make the problem worse. Tax increases will reduce inflation but make the cost of living harder. And they wont lift sanctions on Russia. Its a loose-loose situation.

I propose put taxes up, suspend the foreign aid budget, and using the £14 billion as pay-outs to help low income households.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

The current issue is high inflation.

Inflation is cut by reducing demand, or sorting out the drivers causing it. On top of that their is the cost of living issue to resolve. A tax cut on its own will increase demand and make the problem worse. Tax increases will reduce inflation but make the cost of living harder. And they wont lift sanctions on Russia. Its a loose-loose situation.

I propose put taxes up, suspend the foreign aid budget, and using the £14 billion as pay-outs to help low income households.

The contenders for PM do not have to promise to do anything to help us- they are trying to woo the votes of the elderly, wealthy, Tory Party members who are the ones who will be voting for PM- not us. It is not a General Election so we can be ignored. And it is a complete reversal of their policy up to now- they have just voted to keep taxes high.

Of the leading candidates, only Rishi Sunak is arguing for restraint. The Sunday newspapers are full of pledges to cut rates for businesses, workers and consumers, with promises worth billions. Taken together, they would eradicate the tax base of a small country. In a big economy such as the UK, they would blow a serious hole in the public finances – something past Conservative leaders told us could turn Britain into Greece.

What cost of living crisis? Tory hopefuls’ fuss over tax cuts is devoid of reality | Richard Partington | The Guardian

Edited by The Silver Shroud

23 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

The contenders for PM do not have to promise to do anything to help us- they are trying to woo the votes of the elderly, wealthy, Tory Party members who are the ones who will be voting for PM- not us. It is not a General Election so we can be ignored. And it is a complete reversal of their policy up to now- they have just voted to keep taxes high.

Of the leading candidates, only Rishi Sunak is arguing for restraint. The Sunday newspapers are full of pledges to cut rates for businesses, workers and consumers, with promises worth billions. Taken together, they would eradicate the tax base of a small country. In a big economy such as the UK, they would blow a serious hole in the public finances – something past Conservative leaders told us could turn Britain into Greece.

What cost of living crisis? Tory hopefuls’ fuss over tax cuts is devoid of reality | Richard Partington | The Guardian

Oh God, I laughed so hard at that I had to wipe away tears.

I do get to vote, I`m a Tory member, but I was hoping Jacob Rees-Mogg would appear on this list LMAO.

14 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Oh God, I laughed so hard at that I had to wipe away tears.

I do get to vote, I`m a Tory member, but I was hoping Jacob Rees-Mogg would appear on this list LMAO.

Cookie,you are not well are you?

strait jacket (1).jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Cookie,you are not well are you?

strait jacket (1).jpg

Of course I am well.

Thats what happens when you pay for private healthcare rather than the NHS. If you must use that place don`t forget to write all over yourself `do not operate here` LMAO.

Edited by Cookie Monster

7 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Of course I am well.

Thats what happens when you pay for private healthcare rather than the NHS. If you must use that place don`t forget to write all over yourself `do not operate here` LMAO.

You write one sensible post,and it turns out that that was your attempt at "trolling". 

• Thanks 1

She can't even produce a promotional video yet she claims she is ready to run the UK:

Paralympic athlete Jonnie Peacock is among several public figures who have asked to be removed from the promotional video released by Conservative MP Penny Mordaunt as she launched her party leadership bid.

Paralympian asks to be removed from Penny Mordaunt campaign video | Penny Mordaunt | The Guardian

One of the funniest comments I've read: I hear Patel is joining the race, so we have a woman who would unplug your life support machine to charge her phone and Truss, a woman who would unplug her own life support machine to charge her phone. 

• Haha 1

Date Has Been Set For When Britain Will Have New Prime Minister

Following Boris Johnson's resignation, citizens of the UK will still have to wait a while for the new government leader to step up.

Sir Graham Brady has said that the final result of the contest should be announced on 5 September after a run-off between the final two candidates in a postal ballot of party members.

The first ballot of Tory MPs in the election of a new leader will take place on Wednesday with candidates requiring the support of 20 MPs to stand, according to Sir Graham, the chairman of the 1922 Committee.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/new-uk-prime-minister-2022-20220711

292108566_175149288311628_3153195921937068553_n.jpg

• Haha 2

Gotta feel a tad sorry for whoever leads a country.  They're tasked with building a winning team from a group of self-serving, back-stabbing, BSers.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Gotta feel a tad sorry for whoever leads a country.  They're tasked with building a winning team from a group of self-serving, back-stabbing, BSers.

You have to be Squeaky Clean to be P.M.  an Rishi Sunak is not ,so why are people backing him .

No longer convinced Sunak will win, at this point I think it will be either Liz Truss or Penny Mordaunt.

The tabloids seem to be backing Liz Truss, judging by the number of smear pieces they are running on the other two.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saru said:

No longer convinced Sunak will win, at this point I think it will be either Liz Truss or Penny Mordaunt.

The tabloids seem to be backing Liz Truss, judging by the number of smear pieces they are running on the other two.

Sunak has told lies when he was Chancellor , so maybe M.P.'s will recognise him for what he is , and drop voting for him ,you have to be Squeaky clean to be P.M. as your past catches up with you . 

10 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Sunak has told lies when he was Chancellor , so maybe M.P.'s will recognise him for what he is , and drop voting for him ,you have to be Squeaky clean to be P.M. as your past catches up with you . 

So did Truss, they both supported and lied on the behalf of Boris Johnson throughout his tenure.

In fact Mordaunt has also been accused of lying about various things.

The winner will likely be based on their likelihood to win the next General Election and how popular they are with the Tory donors.

Boris was known for his dishonesty even before he became Prime Minister but he ended up winning the vote anyway.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Saru said:

So did Truss, they both supported and lied on the behalf of Boris Johnson throughout his tenure.

In fact Mordaunt has also been accused of lying about various things.

The winner will likely be based on their likelihood to win the next General Election and how popular they are with the Tory donors.

It will be interesting when we find out who gets the job , which ever way it goes , as long as the other side is kept out,  as we don't need Blair or Corbyn voicing their opinions . 

• Like 1

Kemi might have been an interesting choice but not likely to go through.

She has little to no baggage and a good mix of female and ethnic attributes :tu: would be difficult for a woke bbc to take down. ;)

Kemi Badenoch. That's my prediction. Does anyone seriously feel she does not have the qualities to lead the UK? 

Edited by Saru
Edited for clarification before thread merge

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

That's my prediction. Does anyone seriously feel she does not have the qualities to lead the UK? 

Doesn't matter about the qualities of the person, hence why Boris has been PM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Doesn't matter about the qualities of the person, hence why Boris has been PM.

C'mon man, Boris (lotta questions) was a man, see next nonBoris woman...

• Haha 1