Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boris Johnson: Tories vie for leadership as race to replace PM begins

Still Waters

2 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

Kemi Badenoch. That's my prediction. Does anyone seriously feel she does not have the qualities to lead the UK? 

I think she'll be out of the running either at the next vote or the one after.

She doesn't have enough support to compete against Truss, Sunak or Mordaunt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saru said:

I think she'll be out of the running either at the next vote or the one after.

She doesn't have enough support to compete against Truss, Sunak or Mordaunt.

I agree.

I think Sunak is the favourite to win, up against Mordaunt who will be the "anyone but Rishi" candidate.

On 7/10/2022 at 4:14 AM, The Silver Shroud said:

I still have Johnson as favourite. Keeping him as PM will trash our democratic conventions- but that would be entirely inline with our present government's playbook.

I know Johnson is still popular amonst grassroots voters.His 'cheeky chappie' persona appeals to them, despite the reality being incompetance and greed.The Tories over the last decade have widened inequality and they are still the 'Nasty party'- Tory MPs still claim hundreds of thousands in expences for themselves while foodbanks have proliferated. 

Voters like his bluff and bluster and assurances he will get things done, even though he never actually gets anything done, except trash democracy.

The lack of competition also makes him attractive- the better-known challengers Raab, Truss and Braverman have an air of mild learning disability, Sunak an air of incompetance.

And of course, he hasn't actually left yet...

One said the absence of a strong candidate to replace Mr Johnson has led to calls to find a way of keeping him as leader. ‘None of them are much good,’ the source said.

Several donors have asked if there is ‘any way’ it can be arranged for Mr Johnson to simply apologise for his mistakes and move on, but have been told this was not possible, The Mail on Sunday understands.

Tory donors are privately asking if there is 'any way' to keep Boris Johnson as PM (msn.com)

The lack of competition is right. Labour are an unknown, do little to set up any direction, stand for nothing, misjudge their audience, complain like they're back at school whilst thinking they're getting one over the Tories while a voting majority just roll their eyes and move on and still have no alternative they can vote for even if they wonder what Boris is up to. The Lib Dems might surprise everyone if they can shake off their high tax image. 

Until the left can get their heads around this then they will continue to be the also rans.

Little wonder they rarely get voted in.

2 hours ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

The lack of competition is right. Labour are an unknown, do little to set up any direction, stand for nothing, misjudge their audience, complain like they're back at school whilst thinking they're getting one over the Tories while a voting majority just roll their eyes and move on and still have no alternative they can vote for even if they wonder what Boris is up to. The Lib Dems might surprise everyone if they can shake off their high tax image. 

Until the left can get their heads around this then they will continue to be the also rans.

Little wonder they rarely get voted in.

I'd argue that proportional representation would be the best way forward for politics in this country.

The current first-past-the-post system is skewed towards delivering governments with a majority of the seats on a minority of the votes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saru said:

I'd argue that proportional representation would be the best way forward for politics in this country.

The current first-past-the-post system is skewed towards delivering governments with a majority of the seats on a minority of the votes.

Totally agreed , this would almost certainly change the way all parties work , but I doubt it will ever happen as M.P's jealously guard their own positions .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Saru said:

And yet, nothing of any substance from the opposition to make this happen even when their goal is to get into power  They are woefully inept. I wonder if they do it on purpose, they are that bad at it. I guess it's easier to point the finger but not create the strategy and positioning piece (and deliver it).

And Labour seem oblivious why they're known as the party without a strategy. Mind boggling.

One question for UK members. 

Why is Priti Patel not included in the leadership race? I thought she had more backbone then the rest of the conservatives combined

9 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

Why is Priti Patel not included in the leadership race? I thought she had more backbone then the rest of the conservatives combined

She didn't put herself forward.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 8:32 AM, The Silver Shroud said:

Kemi Badenoch. That's my prediction. Does anyone seriously feel she does not have the qualities to lead the UK? 

Yes,agree,  committed to brexit, anti-woke....whats not to like?

Edited by itsnotoutthere

9 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

19 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

She didn't put herself forward.

She was in the running briefly, but pulled out when it became apparent that she had no chance of winning.

• Like 1

I will start by saying I am a Tory.

Looking at the available candidates (to pick for my vote) then none of them are proposing the correct economic policies. I will put aside my political bias and explain why.

Inflation: This is caused by an undersupply of resources or products, or high demand in the economy.

GDP Growth: This is driven by the demand in the economy. Normal year on year growth (in an ideal world) would be 2.5%. Above that fiscal policy is supposed to be tweaked to lower growth, below it tweaked to increase growth.

So we have low growth and high inflation. You cannot fix one side without making the other worse. The only short-term way out is to end the sanctions on Russia. Long-term we would have to build new oil rigs and produce more of our crops at home.

The proposed tax reduction by the candidates is just going to make the inflation even worse. My own solution is to raise taxes (yep thats right) to lower demand into recession territory but bring inflation down to normal levels. But then suspend the foreign aid budget, and use it to increase Universal Credit for low income households to increase demand and help them with their costs of living.

Are there any better than Boris? Won't it be "Dragon is dead, long live dragon"?

• Haha 1