Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese housewife spends over a decade making up fake Russian history on Wikipedia

Still Waters

A Chinese woman reportedly spent the last decade of her life writing hundreds of bogus Wikipedia entries on Russian history and contributing to hundreds of others.

Wikipedia is nothing less of an online treasure! Whether you’re looking up general information out of pure curiosity, or you’re writing an important paper, Wikipedia almost always delivers the best results. But it’s not a perfect system, and this recent story from China is a perfect example of that. According to online reports from several established news sources in China, a mysterious woman is allegedly responsible for one of the biggest hoaxes in Wikipedia’s history – over 200 made-up articles on Russian medieval history, complete with fake locations, events and characters created over a period of 10 years.

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/housewife-spends-over-a-decade-making-up-fake-russian-history-on-wikipedia.html

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1010653/she-spent-a-decade-writing-fake-russian-history.-wikipedia-just-noticed.-?

• Haha 7

13 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A Chinese woman reportedly spent the last decade of her life writing hundreds of bogus Wikipedia entries on Russian history and contributing to hundreds of others.

Wikipedia is nothing less of an online treasure! Whether you’re looking up general information out of pure curiosity, or you’re writing an important paper, Wikipedia almost always delivers the best results. But it’s not a perfect system, and this recent story from China is a perfect example of that. According to online reports from several established news sources in China, a mysterious woman is allegedly responsible for one of the biggest hoaxes in Wikipedia’s history – over 200 made-up articles on Russian medieval history, complete with fake locations, events and characters created over a period of 10 years.

https://www.odditycentral.com/news/housewife-spends-over-a-decade-making-up-fake-russian-history-on-wikipedia.html

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1010653/she-spent-a-decade-writing-fake-russian-history.-wikipedia-just-noticed.-?

Trust me on this, there much to it than is being reported this is a form of spy craft when someone builds a current profile for later use as an alias they also add ancestry going back hundreds of years sometimes to give a current profile history that can be traced! This is exactly how people assume new identities and simply disappear after some plastic surgery! She is in some serious trouble if she is being held in China she is done like a Thanksgiving Turkey!:D

• Like 5

On 7/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, Still Waters said:

Wikipedia almost always delivers the best results. But it’s not a perfect system,

Wikipedia isn't perfect, but the best way to check the page is to check its references.

• Like 1

Now I usually don't post but appreciate articles. However this one is obviously politically driven and really has no purpose of being here. First off, no one should take the Wikipedia as literal for anything. Even in school, they would never consider it as a credible source so why are people taking it as that? Second, who cares. People lie on Wikipedia all the time, it's common knowledge.

So then, why does this useless one for some reason gets recognition? Well obviously because it's about Russian propaganda coming from a far left source, Vice. Why am I not surprised? Imagine someone reading the history of Russia from Wikipedia and taking it seriously. I mean you at that point deserved to be fooled, that a bored housewife manipulated you.

Can we have more interesting articles? Have enough of political news from pretty much every single outlet possible. And I'm not picking sides, just don't want this place to randomly switch to the same nonsense we see in mainstream news that often provides nothing of value besides pointing fingers.

Edited by Trenix

4 hours ago, Trenix said:

Now I usually don't post but appreciate articles. However this one is obviously politically driven and really has no purpose of being here. First off, no one should take the Wikipedia as literal for anything. Even in school, they would never consider it as a credible source so why are people taking it as that? Second, who cares. People lie on Wikipedia all the time, it's common knowledge.

So then, why does this useless one for some reason gets recognition? Well obviously because it's about Russian propaganda coming from a far left source, Vice. Why am I not surprised? Imagine someone reading the history of Russia from Wikipedia and taking it seriously. I mean you at that point deserved to be fooled, that a bored housewife manipulated you.

Can we have more interesting articles? Have enough of political news from pretty much every single outlet possible. And I'm not picking sides, just don't want this place to randomly switch to the same nonsense we see in mainstream news that often provides nothing of value besides pointing fingers.

Nonsense, there was absolutely nothing political whatsoever about this choice of story and it has nothing to do with the Ukraine situation.

The same story has also been covered by numerous outlets from both sides of the political spectrum.

• Like 1

And then there's the stuff that sounds completely made up but is real, like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelos_(mythology)
Everything about this, from the dubious sounding name to the underworld stuff sounds like it comes from some 13-year-old's Tumblr.
Yet, I actually tracked down that one German source listed...and it actually exists.

On this topic...seems like she wrote in on the Chinese Wikipedia, so it all would have been as easy as cross-referencing with articles in other languages, especially Russian ones.

Edited by Orphalesion

So, did it go better or worse for Russia in her version of history than in real life? Did Russia win more wars or lose more wars?

Isn't all of history a story we've convinced ourselves is true? Even our best evidence can merely create narritives that likely happend.