Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The MAGA exploitation of Brittney Griner

Grim Reaper 6

On the morning of July 7, the wrongfully detained WNBA star Brittney Griner pleaded guilty to the charges she is facing in Russia. The most severe charge, equivalent to narcotics trafficking, carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. Griner’s four-month-and-counting detainment in Russia has highlighted critical differences between the Russian and American legal systems — and salary imbalances between WNBA and NBA players. Adding insult to injury, her case is now being used by the GOP and its supporters to leverage Black suffering for their political benefit and worse, amusement.

Fox News’ front page features stories on Griner’s wife, Cherelle, with angles focusing on the Biden administration’s perceived failures. Republicans in Washington, meanwhile, have used her detainment to promote themselves — and their former boss Donald Trump. The House Judiciary Committee tweeted an article on Phoenix Mercury coach Vanessa Nygaard — and then used Nygaard’s comments to boast that Trump would have gotten Brittney released faster.

Whoever runs that account seems to have conveniently forgotten that Americans Paul Whelan and Trevor Reed were imprisoned throughout Trump’s tenure in office, and neither were released. Reed was released in April after a prisoner exchange with Russia. He has actively worked in media appearances to combat GOP attempts to leverage his ordeal in Russia for pro-Trump messaging. Even as Republicans and Trump supporters use Griner to boost their agenda, they have also indulged in some classic victim-blaming. Besides buying into the Russian charges of “narcotics trafficking,” these people have used Griner’s previous activism, particularly her critical stance on playing the national anthem before WNBA games, as a justification for her continued imprisonment in a hostile state.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-maga-exploitation-of-brittney-griner/ar-AAZpIww?cvid=c778e257aa374018a0df0db90cf080ae

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

On the morning of July 7, the wrongfully detained WNBA star Brittney Griner pleaded guilty to the charges she is facing in Russia. The most severe charge, equivalent to narcotics trafficking, carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. [...]

Wrongfully? Someone planted illegal substance on her?

BTW in some countries there is a death sentence for such crime.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Dude please save your extremist far right winged political views, yes she was innocent and is being used by both the Russians and by some members of the US Republican Conservatives included Donald Dump and his worshipers! But, that’s not surprising at all because she is Black and it’s well known there are strong Racial Views held by Trump and many of his core followers!

You know my friend your little by the way comments are a bit aggravating, I have spent time on almost ever continent on the planet during my military career. I suspect I have forgotten more than you have ever known about how cultures work across bathe globe!

Peace!

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Dude please save your extremist far right winged political views, yes she was innocent and is being used by both the Russians and by some members of the US Republican Conservatives included Donald Dump and his worshipers! But, that’s not surprising at all because she is Black and it’s well known there are strong Racial Views held by Trump and many of his core followers!

You know my friend your little by the way comments are a bit aggravating, I have spent time on almost ever continent on the planet during my military career. I suspect I have forgotten more than you have ever known about how cultures work across bathe globe!

Peace!

Just because she's black, she's above the law?! You do the crime, you do the time, no matter skin color. Period. We can argue about severity of punishment, but just about it.

BTW, I've heard that koreans don't like blacks much. Is it true?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Just because she's black, she's above the law?! You do the crime, you do the time, no matter skin color. Period. We can argue about severity of punishment, but just about it.

BTW, I've heard that koreans don't like blacks much. Is it true?

Here we go, your knowledge of Koreans is like all your other knowledge spoon feed to by your handlers!:no:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here we go, your knowledge of Koreans is like all your other knowledge spoon feed to by your handlers!:no:

Hmmm

You might have heard some horror stories about racism in South Korea. And yes, depending on where you are and whom you interact with, it does get “that bad.”

It wouldn’t be an overstatement to say that racism is both widespread and deeply entrenched in South Korea. Numerous surveys and studies have quantified the racist sentiments many South Koreans harbor, and the numbers are not too promising. In fact, it is a challenge to find data that demonstrates otherwise. But there are signs that things are getting better.

(link)

Dammit. now South Korea handling me...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Hmmm

(link)

The article is an opinion piece from 2017; please stay on the topic with the Article in the OP!

Edited by Manwon Lender

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Hmmm

(link)

.Deleted for content 

Edited by Manwon Lender

12 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

The article is an opinion piece from 2017; please stay on the topic with the Article in the OP!

OK, agree.

What is your reason for "wrongfully", and "innocent"?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

OK, agree.

What is your reason for "wrongfully", and "innocent"?

I don’t understand the bolded question.

16 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don’t understand the bolded question.

OK, why do you think she is innocent?

14 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

OK, why do you think she is innocent?

Above is what p***es me off, Trump would have not gotten her home any sooner it’s totally BS. Because, when he was President Paul Whelan and Trevor Reed were imprisoned throughout Trump’s tenure in office, and neither were released. Reed was released in April after a prisoner exchange with Russia. He has actively worked in media appearances to combat GOP attempts to leverage his ordeal in Russia for pro-Trump messaging

Couple things, 

1 She should have known better. WtH was she thinking? She is not there unjustly. She is there cause she is either an idiot, or an entitled brat. I don’t think she necessarily deserves this, but she had to know it was possible. 

2 I don’t think it’s out of line to say that Trump might have been able to get her out, where Biden has failed. Biden is weak in the eyes of Russia. Its why they waited to invade Ukraine. 

3 The womens basketball league doesn’t pay as well as the mens, because their league doesn’t bring in anywhere near the money the mens league does. If they paid women the same out of equity, the league wouldn’t exist. 

Why would anyone want to own a team that costs them money instead of bringing it in? The people who complain about this, when asked, don’t even watch the games. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I’ll give ya this, republicans using this as a campaign add is pathetic. Almost as pathetic as using a mass shooting to do the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Couple things, 

1 She should have known better. WtH was she thinking? She is not there unjustly. She is there cause she is either an idiot, or an entitled brat. I don’t think she necessarily deserves this, but she had to know it was possible. 

2 Idon’t think it’s out of line to say that Trump might have been able to get her out, where Biden has failed. Biden is weak in the eyes of Russia. Its why they waited to invade Ukraine

Honestly I must disagree with the bolded comments above for the following reason. The individuals below were locked up in Russia throughout Trumps entire Presidency and they were still locked up when he left office.

Americans Paul Whelan and Trevor Reed were imprisoned throughout Trump’s tenure in office, and neither were released. Reed was released in April after a prisoner exchange with Russia. He has actively worked in media appearances to combat GOP attempts to leverage his ordeal in Russia for pro-Trump messaging. 

19 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

3 The womens basketball league doesn’t pay as well as the mens, because their league doesn’t bring in anywhere near the money the mens league does. If they paid women the same out of equity, the league wouldn’t exist. 

Why would anyone want to own a team that costs them money instead of bringing it in? The people who complain about this, when asked, don’t even watch the games. 

29 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Honestly I must disagree with the bolded comments above for the following reason. The individuals below were locked up in Russia throughout Trumps entire Presidency and they were still locked up when he left office.

Americans Paul Whelan and Trevor Reed were imprisoned throughout Trump’s tenure in office, and neither were released. Reed was released in April after a prisoner exchange with Russia. He has actively worked in media appearances to combat GOP attempts to leverage his ordeal in Russia for pro-Trump messaging. 

While that’s true, and might be a reflection of how this situation might have ended the same, really it’s completely different circumstances. 

Guess we will find out come 2024. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what this has to do with MAGA seeing as how she was arrested Feb 17th of this year. The fact that Fox News is reporting her at all is at least getting her story heard.

From what I've heard, Biden has taken an interest in her. I'm not sure what he can do in times like these, but maybe he can pull something off. The Russians seem to like prisoner exchanges. Biden just recently freed Trevor Reed from a 9 year prison sentence in Russia. Trevor was arrested for a drunk altercation, and Biden traded a cocaine smuggling Russian prisoner to free Trevor.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/trevor-reed-speaks-russias-detention-brittney-griner-paul/story?id=86435034

There are other Americans imprisoned in Russia. In Britney's case this sounds like a case of stupidity and should serve as a life lesson if Biden can free her. Since marijuana is barely illegal in the States any longer. Stoner mentality. Hopefully he can get her out though.

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Well, in Russia possessing under 6 grams is an administrative offense.  She had two vape cartridges.  Vape cartridges come in .5 and 1 gram sizes.  So I'd say charging her with intent to distribute is pretty wrongful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Well, in Russia possessing under 6 grams is an administrative offense.  She had two vape cartridges.  Vape cartridges come in .5 and 1 gram sizes.  So I'd say charging her with intent to distribute is pretty wrongful.

Yeah her charges definitely don’t reflect the reality. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Griner was picked up by The Customs.  It's drug smuggling.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Small amount of 6 grams is for marijuana, but for JWH-073 (synthetic cannabinoid), its 0.05 grams, large amount - 0.25 grams (link; first table).

1 minute ago, bmk1245 said:

Small amount of 6 grams is for marijuana, but for JWH-073 (synthetic cannabinoid), its 0.05 grams, large amount - 0.25 grams (link; first table).

The vape cartridges contain THC, not JWH.  They are not synthetic.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

The vape cartridges contain THC, not JWH.  They are not synthetic.

OK, can't argue 'bout that, but list I linked isn't complete, so 'large' amount of substances with THC might be closer to JWH, and vape capsules do not fit marijuana clause. 

3 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

OK, can't argue 'bout that, but list I linked isn't complete, so 'large' amount of substances with THC might be closer to JWH, and vape capsules do not fit marijuana clause. 

No, they would fall under hashish...which is 2 grams.

Posted (edited)

Just saying, in Texas,  a bag in  your possession  containing any amount of residue of meth or cocaine or heroin nets a 5 year sentence in prison.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2