Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outrage as Straight Pride poster promoting 'normal people' shown pinned to Scots church door

itsnotoutthere

A Straight Pride poster promoting 'normal people' sparked outrage after it was found pinned to the front door of a church in Glasgow.

A member of the public claims to have removed the offensive poster after spotting it on the front door of the Cathcart Congregational Church on Monday. It is unknown who placed the poster there.

The cartoon image depicts a man and a woman with their three children and is emblazoned with the slogan 'Straight Pride'.

The message written below the graphic reads 'Because you wouldn't be here without normal people.'

• Haha 6

Heterosexual people, homosexual males and lesbian females are the norm in uncircumcized populations. Anything else people are weird.

• Like 2

How is it "ridiculous and homophobic" and "absolutely disgusting"? :unsure2:

It's a biological fact. (Scientists have known this for quite some time)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The poster didn’t even say “normal people”? That appears to have just been added to the commentary to make the poster seem more inflammatory. I would like to see straight and white people both added to the pride flag (I guess that would be “white pride”…ouch).

1 hour ago, el midgetron said:

The poster didn’t even say “normal people”? That appears to have just been added to the commentary to make the poster seem more inflammatory. I would like to see straight and white people both added to the pride flag (I guess that would be “white pride”…ouch).

It's all about where you rank on the (perceived) victimhood pyramid. 

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, el midgetron said:

Several outlets report that it does say exactly that. But the photograph misses out the last line of the text.

2_Screen-Shot-2022-07-12-at-144148.png

Personally I have no problem with people celebrating 'straight' pride. 

Would you agree that if it does indeed refer to heterosexual people as "normal", that it is inflammatory.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

The poster didn’t even say “normal people”

You didn't read the entire article.

The message written below the graphic reads 'Because you wouldn't be here without normal people.'

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Arbenol said:

Would you agree that if it does indeed refer to heterosexual people as "normal", that it is inflammatory.

No

page-123-1024x745.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

No

page-123-1024x745.jpg

That's the technical definition of normal. 

But in everyday language people often equate the word normal to mean natural or acceptable. 

• Like 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

But in everyday language people often equate the word normal to mean natural or acceptable. 

Colloquially, normal is something which usually happens to most people.

I would debate whether your definition of "natural and acceptable" applies to homosexual or even polygamous relationships 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Knob Oddy said:

Colloquially, normal is something which usually happens to most people.

I would debate whether your definition of "natural and acceptable" applies to homosexual or even polygamous relationships 

The poster saying "normal". Inherently implies that being gay is "abnormal." 

If you can't see how that is intended to be inflammatory than that's your choice. 

As for the second part. I'm not sure what you're saying tbh? Are you saying being gay is not natural or acceptable? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Sometimes people choose the wrong word, sure.

But normal still means expected.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

No

page-123-1024x745.jpg

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I don't think the poster was using the word "normal" in the mathematical / statistical sense.

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

Sometimes people choose the wrong word, sure.

But normal still means expected.

Sure. I'm just saying don't be surprised when people take it as the insult, that I honestly assume, it was meant to be. 

12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The poster saying "normal". Inherently implies that being gay is "abnormal." 

If you can't see how that is intended to be inflammatory than that's your choice. 

As for the second part. I'm not sure what you're saying tbh? Are you saying being gay is not natural or acceptable? 

What word would you use for exclusive heterosexual relationships instead of "normal"?

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
normal
/ˈnɔːm(ə)l/
See definitions in:
All
Geometry
Medicine
Chemistry · Dated
Geology
Sociology · Informal
adjective
  1. 1.
    conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
    "it's quite normal for puppies to bolt their food"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I am saying that anything other than a man and women entering a relationship would be viewed by some as not acceptable. This doesn't just apply to homosexual relationships, but also heterosexual activities.

If you have a brother, who was married to a women, when he tells you he is having sex with a different woman (i.e cheating) as well. Would you find that relationship "acceptable"?

What if he was cheating with a man? Is that "normal and acceptable"?

I thought it was obvious what I was saying. Anything deviating from the norm will be viewed by some as not acceptable (like my scenario with your fake brother above), the further away from normal, the less acceptable it is to more and more people

Edited by Knob Oddy

4 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

I am saying that anything other than a man and women entering a relationship would be viewed by some as not acceptable. This doesn't just apply to homosexual relationships, but also heterosexual activities.

If you have a brother, who was married to a women, when he tells you he is having sex with a different woman (i.e cheating) as well. Would you find that relationship "acceptable"?

What if he was cheating with a man? Is that "normal and acceptable"?

I thought it was obvious what I was saying. Anything deviating from the norm will be viewed by some as not acceptable (like my scenario with your fake brother above), the further away from normal, the less acceptable it is to more and more people

So you're saying some people are homophobic because they are use to most people being hetero. 

Okay.

I have no idea why you originally felt the need to say that tbh lol. 

13 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

What word would you use for exclusive heterosexual relationships instead of "normal"?

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
normal
/ˈnɔːm(ə)l/
See definitions in:
All
Geometry
Medicine
Chemistry · Dated
Geology
Sociology · Informal
adjective
  1. 1.
    conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected.
    "it's quite normal for puppies to bolt their food"

I think you're being disingenuous by acting like you don't understand how calling people abnormal is a clear insult. The poster very easily could of worded it in a different way.

But then again I don't know any straight people in real life who feel the need to say straight pride in the first place. But you know. You do you as long as you're not degrading others in the process.

But we won't agree on this so there is no point to continue. 

Edited by spartan max2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

So you're saying some people are homophobic because they are use to most people being hetero. 

Okay.

I have no idea why you originally felt the need to say that tbh lol. 

Not really. I think its more to do with expectations. 

If you expect (or are excited for) grandchildren from your child, you would be disappointed when your child comes out as gay. Does that mean you're homophobic?

I'd say that you're probably just grieving for a future you wanted but can't have.

It would be the same as if your child entered a multiple person relationship. You may be disappointed that you'll never walk them down the isle or have a "normal" family. It doesn't mean your "phobic" of anything.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I think you're being disingenuous by acting like you don't understand how calling people abnormal is a clear insult. The poster very easily could of worded it in a different way.

But then again I don't know any straight people in real life who feel the need to say straight pride in the first place. But you know. You do you as long as you're not degrading others in the process.

But we won't agree on this so there is no point to continue. 

Lots of words to not answer a question.

What word would you have preferred? 

1 minute ago, Knob Oddy said:

Lots of words to not answer a question.

What word would you have preferred? 

The poster seems dumb to me in general. But there are easily a dozen ways to say what they wanted to say, if their true intent was not to be inflammatory.

"Straight pride. Because that's where people come from."

As an example that took 10 seconds for me to come up with.

6 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

Not really. I think its more to do with expectations. 

If you expect (or are excited for) grandchildren from your child, you would be disappointed when your child comes out as gay. Does that mean you're homophobic?

I'd say that you're probably just grieving for a future you wanted but can't have.

It would be the same as if your child entered a multiple person relationship. You may be disappointed that you'll never walk them down the isle or have a "normal" family. It doesn't mean your "phobic" of anything.

I mention people are homophobic and you ask me about the most borderline example possible. 

Wtf is the point of that? 

Don't downplay homophobic people. Obviously that obscure scenario isn't what I'm talking about 

Edited by spartan max2

I think that if anyone honestly believes that a church (you know places that historically have led the charge for oppressing gay people and continue to do that) did not realize how their posters implying that gay people are abnormal would be taken, is either naive or being disingenuous.

Obviously it would be seen as an insult to gay people.

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I think that if anyone honestly believes that a church (you know places that historically have led the charge for oppressing gay people and continue to do that) did not realize how their posters implying that gay people are abnormal would be taken, is either naive or being disingenuous.

Obviously it would be seen as an insult to gay people.

You chose the word abnrmal over exceptional.

• Like 1