Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Greedy' BMW criticised for putting heated seats behind a paywall

Eldorado

BMW has been criticised for putting some of its cars' hardware features behind a paywall - meaning drivers will have to pay more to turn on heated seats, for instance.

Customers have criticised the company as "greedy and exploitative", according to technology news site The Verge, with many of these features already available as standard in most modern vehicles.

Drivers are particularly aggrieved because the hardware for the features advertised on BMW's ConnectedDrive store - including heated seats and adaptive suspension - must already be installed in the vehicles during production to be turned on.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/greedy-bmw-criticised-for-putting-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall/ar-AAZxn6i?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It isn't even a decent, sturdy car anyway, or at least the models that get sent to the U.S. aren't.   I never understood why someone in the U.S. would want a BMW and someone in Germany would want a Ford.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It isn't even a decent, sturdy car anyway, or at least the models that get sent to the U.S. aren't.   I never understood why someone in the U.S. would want a BMW and someone in Germany would want a Ford.

I certainly loved mine, in 2011 I bought a BMW 740 coupe the only reason I sold it was because we moved to Korea in 2014 and the resale value was great. I would certainly buy another one, but not here in Korea they are more expensive and they are modified for Korean use, fir some reason they don’t run as well. I test drive a few back in 2014 when we arrived and I just didn’t like them. Ended up buying a Hyundai SUV, most here have Diesel engines but I bought a gaser, never like the sound of Diesel engines. I get all my fuel cheap because I buy it on Camp Humphreys the nearest US military base. Buying the SUV was the right move, the sale vehicle I bought here was approximately 18,000 more in the US, and if I ever have a problem parts are not expensive.  

• Like 1

Good, I’d rather be asked to pay more for something than have to pay extra for something I’d neve4 use.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Good, I’d rather be asked to pay more for something than have to pay extra for something I’d neve4 use.

To attempt a clarification because Bats is baffled - I’d rather they ask “do you want this? It’s extra” than “you need to pay extra because we’ve included …” when I’m never going to use what they”ve included.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You will pay for it use it or not...

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Drivers are particularly aggrieved because the hardware for the features advertised on BMW's ConnectedDrive store - including heated seats and adaptive suspension - must already be installed in the vehicles during production to be turned on.

If thats the case i understand why people see it as they do BMW didnt include this extra stuff for free its worked into the price so yeah, pretty cheddar richard.

In 78 my dad gave ford hell, over a new thunderbird he sees how much they tacked on for the radio and said he didnt want it, they said they couldn't remove it so discounted the price but dad kept at it on them at least 5 or 7 things he refused to pay for they ate just to sell him that car, he put 250 k miles on it.

• Like 1

The absolute crappiest I've ever seen a car company act is back in the 80s.  Chevy was selling small pickups (S-10) with a choice of rear bumpers.  But, they had to be purchased separately and customers had to pay to have the Dealer install it.   I promptly left the Dealership and went and bought a Ford Ranger ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, and then said:

The absolute crappiest I've ever seen a car company act is back in the 80s.  Chevy was selling small pickups (S-10) with a choice of rear bumpers.  But, they had to be purchased separately and customers had to pay to have the Dealer install it.   I promptly left the Dealership and went and bought a Ford Ranger ;) 

I remember that. It was baffling why anyone would rip their customers off that way, and reminds me of the 70's when in one class we all had to break in to groups and write an advertisement.   Ours was for a car and the bumper was not included.   (we were trying to be funny).

• Like 2

I'd never buy a BMW after my grandfather's experiences in WW2. He said it was the most unreliable car the SS ever gave him.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Its because they can.  They will keep squeezing until the blood stops dripping from the stone. 

And then whinge to the government that the stone is being mean to them and therefore th4 government will obligingly give them more of the stone’s money.

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2022 at 4:59 PM, Desertrat56 said:

It is about quality standards. A Ford (or any foreign car) built for  Germany must have the exact specifications that the government requires. So there is apsolutely no issue buying a Ford, Chevy, Dodge...in Germany. Those cars will last just like a Mercedes, VW...

On the other hand cars exported to the US from Germany only have to adhere to the US specifications therefore you do not get the full quality.

The manufacturing lines for export differ, split and in some cases are completely separeted within a manufacturing facility.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, odas said:

It is about quality standards. A Ford (or any foreign car) built for  Germany must have the exact specifications that the government requires. So there is apsolutely no issue buying a Ford, Chevy, Dodge...in Germany. Those cars will last just like a Mercedes, VW...

On the other hand cars exported to the US from Germany only have to adhere to the US specifications therefore you do not get the full quality.

The manufacturing lines for export differ, split and in some cases are completely separeted within a manufacturing facility.

Well, in the U.S. Chevy, especially, but Ford and Dodge as well do not last more than 5 or 6 years unless you only drive them to church on Sunday. The U.S. must have very low standards.   I always buy a toyota or nissan.  My nissan that I have now I have had 11 years and I bought it used.   The only thing I have had to fix so far is the air conditioner unit.    My sister used to always buy Fords, and they lasted but they were not comfortable, she switched to Chevy and had nothing but problems.  Now she drives a GMC (which I think owns Chevy, not sure).   She can afford to buy a new car every 5 or 6 years.  Most people can't.   The only german car I would buy is a Mercedes and I would go to Germany to buy it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, in the U.S. Chevy, especially, but Ford and Dodge as well do not last more than 5 or 6 years unless you only drive them to church on Sunday. The U.S. must have very low standards.   I always buy a toyota or nissan.  My nissan that I have now I have had 11 years and I bought it used.   The only thing I have had to fix so far is the air conditioner unit.    My sister used to always buy Fords, and they lasted but they were not comfortable, she switched to Chevy and had nothing but problems.  Now she drives a GMC (which I think owns Chevy, not sure).   She can afford to buy a new car every 5 or 6 years.  Most people can't.   The only german car I would buy is a Mercedes and I would go to Germany to buy it.

I believe most cars are not designed to last more than 5,6,7 years anymore regardless of make or country. There are differences in quality only and what you get for a buck. My daughters, their husbands, my wife and I, we all drive german and japanese cars/SUV's. Got my jetta new in 2016. Gas, 1.6L turbo. Fast. Easy to handle. Reliable. Just changed the breaks last year. 130000k on it. 

Will see what I will get next year. Always wanted a small truck but never had a need for it. Now that we have a small family cottage I think I will go either with the Nissan Frontier or with the Honda Ridgeline. Will see what the cost will be. That is just really for the cottage feeling, sitting in the back of the truck, have a cold one, enjoy the nature, the lake....

Disclaimer: I know I said that I bought a brand new F150 (really the best truck in the world) in a euro forum, but it was just to p*** of some pro Putin posters.

But, never say never. The price between a mid Frontier and a mid F150 is not big of a difference, at least not here in Canada. Only.....do I really need it is the question.

36 minutes ago, odas said:

I believe most cars are not designed to last more than 5,6,7 years anymore regardless of make or country. There are differences in quality only and what you get for a buck. My daughters, their husbands, my wife and I, we all drive german and japanese cars/SUV's. Got my jetta new in 2016. Gas, 1.6L turbo. Fast. Easy to handle. Reliable. Just changed the breaks last year. 130000k on it. 

Will see what I will get next year. Always wanted a small truck but never had a need for it. Now that we have a small family cottage I think I will go either with the Nissan Frontier or with the Honda Ridgeline. Will see what the cost will be. That is just really for the cottage feeling, sitting in the back of the truck, have a cold one, enjoy the nature, the lake....

Disclaimer: I know I said that I bought a brand new F150 (really the best truck in the world) in a euro forum, but it was just to p*** of some pro Putin posters.

But, never say never. The price between a mid Frontier and a mid F150 is not big of a difference, at least not here in Canada. Only.....do I really need it is the question.

My daughter has gone through 2 Ford Fusions, which were both lemons, neither lasted 4 years (and she bought them new).  She is driving a Ford Edge now.  It is working fine but she has had it less than a year.  We shall see how long it lasts because the financing on the other two were longer than the cars lasted.   I hope she can drive this one a few years after she pays it off.   My nissan is a 2008, I bought it in 2011, and only regular maintenance including brakes has been needed except for one gasket and the air conditioning unit.   I expect to drive it a few more years before I look for another vehicle.    If I could buy a new car I would buy one of those video game/armageddon pickups from Tesla.  That truck makes me laugh and it would be fun to drive.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

When customer satisfaction is not an issue, why would a manufacturer want to produce a product capable of lasting 20 years rather than one that needs replacement every 5 years?

• Like 1

I bought a '92 Isuzu Rodeo in '93. It was made by Chevy and it's only been in the shop twice. Once for a new air conditioner and the other for general maintenance and tires. It's still going great at over 275,000 miles. Come to think of it I've never even had to replace the brakes.

I've never had any brand loyalty to a car manufacturer.  I've owned Fords, Jeeps, Chevy's, Hyundai's and several others.  

Ford ripped off my grandfather when he invented the auto hidden door hinge for them way back in the 20's so I stay away from Fords if I can.