Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Free speech ‘stifled’ as universities cancel record number of speakers

Eldorado

26 minutes ago, Michelle said:

This is not a boys will be boys situation. It's felony assault, destruction of property and in some cases attempted murder. And there were so many the police couldn't keep it under control. It wasn't just a few time after time.

Sounds like a description of January 6th.

There are bad elements on both sides, but only a few. If you analyse an angry crowd, it's surprisingly few who are ready to commit assault. Most just shout and scream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Sounds like a description of January 6th.

Except it happens on a regular basis. They've got pictures and videos of who they are and don't even expel them from school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Except it happens on a regular basis. They've got pictures and videos of who they are and don't even expel them from school.

I only have your word for that. And we both know you are biased against the Left.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I only have your word for that. And we both know you are biased against the Left.

So punishment for ones action is now a right wing thing? Equally metering out punishments according to the crime is no longer a thing?

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 12:54 AM, Cookie Monster said:

Populism means whats popular with the electorate.

Right there in your answer you just said you are against democracy.

Populism is anti-democracy. That is why it is described as "populism". Democracy is a hard-won freedom against populism, mob rule, communism and fascism. It imposes the Rule of Law, and safeguards liberties. What did you learn in your Economics and Engineering degrees, which also included Media studies? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

So punishment for ones action is now a right wing thing? Equally metering out punishments according to the crime is no longer a thing?

If the government decides criticism of itself is a crime, then you have ended democracy. I know from your posts you don't value it, but a lot of people do.

White Rose - Wikipedia

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, The Silver Shroud said:

If the government decides criticism of itself is a crime, then you have ended democracy. I know from your posts you don't value it, but a lot of people do.

White Rose - Wikipedia

That is not at all what is happening here. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

Why are you jumping in context? Are you trying to distract me?

I said: I only have your words for those violent demonstrations (plural) against university speakers. Where did you get your information about them?

18 hours ago, zep73 said:

I said: I only have your words for those violent demonstrations (plural) against university speakers. Where did you get your information about them?

Freely available on the internet

19 hours ago, zep73 said:

@Michelle and @Knob Oddy are dumb right wing nuts, it's like opening an ocean of knowledge to them, baby steps are needed.

1 hour ago, Knob Oddy said:

Freely available on the internet

The burden of evidence is on the one making the claim.

3 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

@Michelle and @Knob Oddy are dumb right wing nuts, it's like opening an ocean of knowledge to them, baby steps are needed.

How very PC and inclusive of you. I got bored after the first three pages of search results, because I stay informed and have already heard about them. Of course, if you only use google and watch left wing news your information is already limited.

Like the weather, commencement speaker controversies at America’s colleges and universities seem to heat up every spring, with students seeking to silence or “disinvite” a spectacular range of graduation speakers from Donna Brazile to the Dalai Lama, from Madeleine Albright to Mr. Rogers. The phenomenon became so predictable, it got a name: disinvitation season.

While disinvitation season controversies emerge from diverse constituencies, many are rooted in a misguided notion that scrubbing campuses clean of unpopular ideas is a good idea. At the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, we work to combat that belief — and all kinds of campus free speech violations in the process.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/opinion/columnists/2018/07/02/universities-avoid-politically-controversial-speakers-after-student-protests/748215002/

https://www.campussafetymagazine.com/university/free-speech-on-college-campuses-universities-debate/

https://time.com/4697066/campus-protests-controversial-speakers/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/violent-or-disruptive-protests-on-college-campuses-in-2017

https://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-disinvited-speakers-at-colleges-2016-7?op=1

https://jonathanturley.org/2022/03/17/yale-law-students-disrupt-conservative-speaker-then-object-to-the-presence-of-police-as-creating-an-unsafe-environment/

https://www.thecollegefix.com/11-times-campus-speakers-were-shouted-down-by-leftist-protesters-this-school-year/

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:31 PM, The Silver Shroud said:

Populism is anti-democracy. That is why it is described as "populism". Democracy is a hard-won freedom against populism, mob rule, communism and fascism. It imposes the Rule of Law, and safeguards liberties. What did you learn in your Economics and Engineering degrees, which also included Media studies? 

You`re dangerous, I hope you never become a politician.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:34 PM, The Silver Shroud said:

This reply frustrates me. A Trump speech is as important as something George Orwell said? TikTok is more relevant than Shakespeare in these modern times? Give them equal recognition, and treat them equally? This is why education is important.

And whats happen with modern "progressive media" doesn't frustrates you? With BS claims against president D. Trump?

Lets me explain how it is done: you are claiming (from your post) that "TikTok is more relevant than as something George Orwell said".

See my point?