Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ireland runs out of rooms for Ukrainians — and blames UK’s Rwanda policy.

L.A.T.1961

Apparently the no limits movement of refugees has limits. ;) I am struggling to see why the Irish discriminate between Africans and Ukrainians. :huh:

"Hundreds of newly arrived refugees from Ukraine slept overnight on air mattresses, foldaway beds or the bare floor at Dublin Airport after the government warned that its nationwide network of emergency accommodation sites was full.

Martin said Ireland’s facilities were overloaded not because of too many Ukrainians, but because of an unexpected surge in asylum-seekers from Africa and the Middle East arriving via Britain. He said the U.K. government’s threat to deport new arrivals to Rwanda in central Africa had spurred many to exploit the Common Travel Area, which for decades has enabled barrier-free movement between the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland."

https://www.politico.eu/article/micheal-martin-ireland-ukraine-war-refugees-uk-rwanda-policy/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Apparently the no limits movement of refugees has limits. ;) I am struggling to see why the Irish discriminate between Africans and Ukrainians:huh:

"Hundreds of newly arrived refugees from Ukraine slept overnight on air mattresses, foldaway beds or the bare floor at Dublin Airport after the government warned that its nationwide network of emergency accommodation sites was full.

Martin said Ireland’s facilities were overloaded not because of too many Ukrainians, but because of an unexpected surge in asylum-seekers from Africa and the Middle East arriving via Britain. He said the U.K. government’s threat to deport new arrivals to Rwanda in central Africa had spurred many to exploit the Common Travel Area, which for decades has enabled barrier-free movement between the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland."

https://www.politico.eu/article/micheal-martin-ireland-ukraine-war-refugees-uk-rwanda-policy/

I'm not struggling- it is because Ukrainians are being killed in their cities by missiles. They dearly want to go back to their homes and their lives. Though I suspect you are being ironic.

And did you read the second sentence I have boldened? The UK now has open borders- do you realise that? We have NO border controls for food, goods or anything else because of Brexit. Brexit border checks delayed again as Rees-Mogg admits they would cost £1bn - LBC .

There are hundreds each week of immigrants from the middle east entering the UK and are now making their way to Ireland as well as the UK, because we no longer co-operate with the EU and have abandoned the Dublin arrangement (to return refugees).

Rwanda is just a bit of very expensive "red meat" thrown to gammons, we will never send anyone to Rwanda, it is just noise to keep the present government in their jobs.

Edited by The Silver Shroud

We are witnessing the "assisted" suicide of western culture and the transition to a "global third world".  Those who weep for the poor and dispossessed, for the suffering of the majority of populations on the planet and who believe the wealthier, more successful nations OWE it to these nations to sacrifice our way of life to show mercy to them, are overlooking a very serious drawback.  Extending mercy and help to suffering people is something all nations should strive to do BUT, the mass migration that is underway is going to be self-defeating. 

Those western nations that are capable and willing to feed, clothe, and provide health assistance to the millions in Africa, and other nations beset with corruption and squalor, are going to be fatally weakened as the migration continues unchecked.  So... when America, Canada, Britain, and other western nations are struggling to feed their own expanding populations, when their economies are at the brink and their resources are dwindling, who will help the billions that are still in need?  That's rhetorical, of course.  NO ONE will be able or willing to take our places.

Those who look down the nose at we who complain about endless migration of millions who don't even desire to become part of our nation, should probably step back from the virtue signaling and reassess the efficacy of the plans of the "Great Reset" crowd.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Apparently the no limits movement of refugees has limits. ;) I am struggling to see why the Irish discriminate between Africans and Ukrainians. :huh:

We don't! 

We have more foreign immigrants as a percentage of our population than the UK; 13% in the Republic of Ireland v 9% in the UK.

We have also taken more Ukrainian refugees than the UK: 40,000 Ukrainians in the Republic, 30,000 in the UK.

And we don't have a policy of deporting illegal immigrants to Rwanda. 

We respect and protect people's civil and human rights, unlike the UK who don't seem to want to do that any more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

We don't! 

We have more foreign immigrants as a percentage of our population than the UK; 13% in the Republic of Ireland v 9% in the UK.

We have also taken more Ukrainian refugees than the UK: 40,000 Ukrainians in the Republic, 30,000 in the UK.

And we don't have a policy of deporting illegal immigrants to Rwanda. 

We respect and protect people's civil and human rights, unlike the UK who don't seem to want to do that any more.

Take a chill pill, majority of Ukrainian refugees- temprary, Ukrainians already returning to Ukraine, despite the war.

18 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Take a chill pill, majority of Ukrainian refugees- temprary, Ukrainians already returning to Ukraine, despite the war.

I don't need to, I'm not bothered by immigrants generally. The overwhelming majority of them have been good for Ireland.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Silver Shroud said:

I'm not struggling- it is because Ukrainians are being killed in their cities by missiles. They dearly want to go back to their homes and their lives. Though I suspect you are being ironic.

And did you read the second sentence I have boldened? The UK now has open borders- do you realise that? We have NO border controls for food, goods or anything else because of Brexit. Brexit border checks delayed again as Rees-Mogg admits they would cost £1bn - LBC .

There are hundreds each week of immigrants from the middle east entering the UK and are now making their way to Ireland as well as the UK, because we no longer co-operate with the EU and have abandoned the Dublin arrangement (to return refugees).

Rwanda is just a bit of very expensive "red meat" thrown to gammons, we will never send anyone to Rwanda, it is just noise to keep the present government in their jobs.

The points raised above have no baring on the Irish Gov attitude that Ukrainians are more important than an African.

Africans are running from poverty and conflict, the Ukranians are bombed by Russia. They all have their life threatened.

So why does the Gov in Dublin think they should ignore Africans to take Ukranians ? 

The reason is they can blame UK Gov for not being able to operate a flawed no holds bared immigration system. ;)

3 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The points raised above have no baring on the Irish Gov attitude that Ukrainians are more important than an African.

Africans are running from poverty and conflict, the Ukranians are bombed by Russia. They all have their life threatened.

So why does the Gov in Dublin think they should ignore Africans to take Ukranians ? 

The reason is they can blame UK Gov for not being able to operate a flawed no holds bared immigration system. ;)

So, what you're saying is that UK is not being able to operate a flawed no holds bared immigration system (for whatever that is) and that is somehow Ireland's fault, because Ireland accepted Ukrainian refugees? 
I must admit I've got insurmountable problems with following that sort of logic.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I don't need to, I'm not bothered by immigrants generally. The overwhelming majority of them have been good for Ireland.

I'm so glad to read that, because every person from Croatia who went to Ireland (that I know of) has positive experiences with your country. Thank you for accepting my - sometimes too loud and wildly gesticulating :D - countrymen. 

Regarding Ukrainians, I knew they share a lot with my nation. But the more of them I meet, the more I feel they are indeed my family. Personally, I don't want those who came to Croatia to leave. But they want to go back home, as soon as possible. And that too breaks my heart.

It doesn't mean I don't care about other people who came from different parts of the world. But of course I care more about my sister than about my aunt's brother-in-law's nephew.  

Edited by Helen of Annoy
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:35 PM, L.A.T.1961 said:

They is an easy solution Eirexit.

Then they have control over who comes in and how many.

Edited by Cookie Monster

21 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

To put this as plainly as possible: that is not the Irish government's attitude. 

They don't. We have a non-discriminatory immigrant policy and every year thousands of foreign born immigrants who have completed the process of naturalisation go through a Citizenship Ceremony that makes them a# 100% Irish citizen whatever their native background.   

We also have a minority of illegal and undocumented immigrants in our midst. This year, in the six months ending 31 July 2022, the Irish government offered them all an amnesty during which (by June this summer) 6000 applied to have their situation regularised and recognised by the state. Those whose applications are successful receive Permission Letters from our Immigration Delivery Service to remain in the country and have their status legalised. This amnesty scheme comes under the remit of our Minister for Justice & Equality, Helen McAtee, who said of it:

'We’ve seen a very positive level of engagement with the Scheme since I opened it for applications at the end of January. Permission letters have started to arrive in homes across the country with life changing news for those receiving them and their families. I want to congratulate everyone who has received a letter and to thank them for trusting us and coming forward to regularise their position in the State.Minister McEntee issues first positive decisions under the Regularisation Scheme for Long-Term Undocumented Migrants - The Department of Justice

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

So, what you're saying is that UK is not being able to operate a flawed no holds bared immigration system (for whatever that is) and that is somehow Ireland's fault, because Ireland accepted Ukrainian refugees? 
I must admit I've got insurmountable problems with following that sort of logic.  

The UK is using a regulated system with quota's. Or trying to.

Ireland said this is a bad idea, amongst others. Needy migrants are put at risk.

Now Ireland is finding itself with more migrants than it can deal with, which was always going to be the case at some point.

Expecting the UK to soak up enough migrants to make their system work was always optimistic given the circumstances. 

It looks good for Ireland to take a holier-than-though approach, up to the point it fails. ;)

14 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

They is an easy solution Eirexit.

The Republic of Ireland is staying within the EU. That is the will of the overwhelming majority of the Irish people as expressed in numerous referenda. 

Being a genuine republic, our sovereignty lies solely with the people. My favourite line in our Constitution, which underwrites and expresses that sovereignty, is in the Preamble where it says: 

'We, the people of Éire, ... do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this Constitution.'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The UK is using a regulated system with quota's. Or trying to.

Ireland said this is a bad idea, amongst others. Needy migrants are put at risk.

Now Ireland is finding itself with more migrants than it can deal with, which was always going to be the case at some point.

Expecting the UK to soak up enough migrants to make their system work was always optimistic given the circumstances. 

It looks good for Ireland to take a holier-than-though approach, up to the point it fails. ;)

Blame Brexit for ones own problems.

Ireland cannot cope with the number of immigrants because it, not us, it signed away its border controls.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Blame Brexit for ones own problems.

Ireland cannot cope with the number of immigrants because it, not us, it signed away its border controls.

More ignorant drivel from Fred Scuttle. :tu:

Britain’s Rwanda policy has triggered a surge in refugees arriving in Ireland, Dublin said on Saturday, in a seeming admission that the deal to deport asylum seekers to central Africa is deterring people from coming to the UK.

Senior figures in the coalition government, including the Irish prime minister, have blamed Britain’s new migration measures for an increase in people seeking asylum in Ireland instead, causing an accommodation crisis that has forced Ukrainians to be put in tents.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/refugees-pour-into-ireland-as-dublin-blames-britain-s-rwanda-policy/ar-AAZTzQy?