Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars spaghetti like object

XenoFish

Mars rover spaghetti monster.

just checked, and there are no Italian restaurants on Mars. So there goes one explanation for an odd object photographed by NASA's Perseverance rover on Tuesday. It isn't spaghetti. Nor is it a sea creature or a hair ball. It looks like a tangle of string or shredded material that's clinging together.

Edited by XenoFish
Added context
  • Like 9

It is incredible, really, that we can look around the surface of Mars. Not just scientists, but ordinary people at home. What is more incredible is that half the population still ignores progress and spend their time arguing about the rights and wrongs of what was found on bits of parchment written two thousand years ago when it was thought the Sun orbited the Earth.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, zep73 said:

Could it be from the landing parachutes?

Most likely I'd say. I figure things decay at a slower rate on Mars due to its low humidity and absence of bacteria and other decomposers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Silver Shroud said:

What is more incredible is that half the population still ignores progress and spend their time arguing about the rights and wrongs of what was found on bits of parchment written two thousand years ago when it was thought the Sun orbited the Earth.

We call those situations freedom of speech and the liberty to worship as we like.  That really harms no one unless they are looking to be offended.  I have faith in the God of the Bible but that doesn't mean I don't recognize the wonders that science has made possible in our world.  My biggest sticking point with those who dismiss even the idea of faith in scripture while bending the knee at the altar of science is that they refuse in most cases to admit that human nature has remained essentially unchanged since those scribblings on bits of parchment. 

It has remained in our nature to behave like Vlad Putin in Ukraine even though the world can look farther into space than ever before.  The greatest advances in tech also come with the ugly side effect of weapons of astonishing capacities to destroy life.  We all have our biases and personal flaws but as a religious person, I have no problem with admitting I don't KNOW how those scribblings will come to pass.  I just believe they will.  Nearly all of those from a non-faith perspective have refused to even countenance the possibility that they may misunderstand scripture.  That's a tad too rigidly intolerant for a scientist, IMO.

• Like 2

To be honest it looked like package twine to me, I imagine it is most likely debris as noted above. But if it was from a martian restaurant than the Uber Eats delivery charge would be astronomical :whistle:.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

This isn't a religious or political thread.

It wasn't my intention to derail it. I actually admire people who can believe in both science and religion, most people can't reconcile them.

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Like 1

We are spreading more and more junk on Mars, and then we are rediscovering it, thinking that it comes from an intelligent civilization, and it does, it comes from us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Maybe the Martians are making a 'spaghetti western'? :unsure2:

With Flint Eastrock I imagine.

• Haha 2

The article did not state the object's size.  Is it an inch across, a foot, a yard?  It seems to me a simple matter of reviewing the craft's bill of material for a match.  Or evidence of Pastafarian's Spaghetti Monster

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Portre said:

The article did not state the object's size.  Is it an inch across, a foot, a yard?  It seems to me a simple matter of reviewing the craft's bill of material for a match.  Or evidence of Pastafarian's Spaghetti Monster

The CNET article in Op? Yes it did:

This image from July 12, 2022, puts the spaghetti-shaped object (circled in red) in perspective with the rover's wheel and the end of its robotic arm. It looks like a good-size forkful.

So it’s probably around 5cm or something. Not big anyway.

For perspective, the rover’s wheels are 52.5cm in diametre.

While it's interesting to see where the debris from the spacecraft and landing mechanism has landed, it does raise the question of whether we should be leaving these objects all over the surface.

Earth's orbit is already filled with space debris and we've also left our mark on the Moon.

It seems that we are destined to leave our trash behind pretty much everywhere we go.

Woke woke woke

oh, yeah. that's a space vine alien. they're harmless.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:56 AM, XenoFish said:

This isn't a religious or political thread.

Ba-BOOM-tish!   I see what you did there :lol: :nw:

17 hours ago, Timothy said:

. It looks like a good-size forkful.

Thanks.  I'm not familiar with this unit of measurement but I'm guessing more than a smidge but less than a glob. :rolleyes:

It looks like a strand of some type of fiber. Maybe one of the NASA scientists snagged their sweater on something while building the rover? That thing is most definitely terrestial in origin, I mean from Earth. 

On 7/18/2022 at 1:18 AM, Portre said:

Thanks.  I'm not familiar with this unit of measurement but I'm guessing more than a smidge but less than a glob. :rolleyes:

Italy was p*ssed off when ‘a good-size forkful’ was not accepted as an official SI unit of measurement.

Yes probably because a smidge and glob already had it covered…

18 hours ago, Timothy said:

Italy was p*ssed off when ‘a good-size forkful’ was not accepted as an official SI unit of measurement.

Yes probably because a smidge and glob already had it covered…

Spot on