Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Political correctness can lead to cognitive exhaustion,

Knob Oddy

https://www.psypost.org/2022/07/political-correctness-can-lead-to-cognitive-exhaustion-according-to-new-research-63539

Of course the article focuses more on the "kindness" of those trying to be politically correct,

According to new findings published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, people are motivated to be politically correct out of a sense of kindness and consideration for their coworkers, but being politically correct can also lead to mental fatigue. The new research represents one of the first attempts to systematically investigate the topic.

“First and foremost, we are most definitely not saying that people should not be politically correct when interacting with their coworkers,” Koopman and Lanaj told PsyPost. “Our findings consistently showed that employees choose to act with political correctness at work because they care about the coworker with whom they are interacting. A key takeaway of our work, therefore, is that political correctness comes from a good place of wanting to be inclusive and kind.”

but it also points out the personal detriment of the PC people as well.

Political correctness during the day, in turn, was linked to greater cognitive resource depletion (“I feel drained right now”) in the evening, and higher levels of cognitive resource depletion were linked to partners being more likely to report that employees were angry and withdrawn at home.

“But what is important for both employees and managers to take away is that being politically correct is not costless. Instead, being politically correct may be exhausting, and as a result employees might be particularly tired and argumentative at night. And so for employees who are doing this, they need to be aware of how it makes them feel and strive to avoid enacting negative behaviors at home. Managers need to understand these possible costs as well, as there are a number of possible ways to mitigate the depletion that employees may feel from being politically correct.”

So, my question is mostly towards those who view themselves as politically correct:

How's the wife/husband?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

I tend to agree with the late George Carlin on these matters. Trying to guess what others will be offended by and limiting your own speech is definitely a slippery slope.

I mean, its now offensive to call someone obese. We only use the medical term obese because it was offensive to call someone fat. Where will it end?

But in any event, offense is always taken and never given. Being offended is a personal decision that only the offended can change

3572823f7ab1eb296dff050b2b17c9ad0d43bef69691e6e5d4658dcd5377056e_1.thumb.webp.3dece0fb34f5f4e6f943f0a958269b67.webp

Do you want to call your coworkers obese? :huh: 

Or do you mean just use the word in causual conversation. I've never been reprimanded for that word.

Edited by spartan max2

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Do you want to call your coworkers obese? :huh: 

Or do you mean just use the word in causual conversation. I've never been reprimanded for that word.

I am personally liable if my workers are injured. They use ladders rated to 120 or 150kgs.

The term has come up, yes. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

I am personally liable if my workers are injured. They use ladders rated to 120 or 150kgs.

The term has come up, yes. 

"You're too obese for this ladder sir" :lol: lol

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

"You're too obese for this ladder sir" :lol: lol

You may laugh, but that's a 600k fine for me of it leads to a death.

And yes, I have had a site manager ask me "when does *persons* weight become a health and safety issue?"

He would also be on the hook for a personal fine, being the overall site manager

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I had no idea people found not being a douche draining.

Would you just stop being so Australian, already? 

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

Is that why they look like they've got a stick up their butt all the time?

You're meetin' the wrong people. :D

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

According to new findings published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, people are motivated to be politically correct out of a sense of kindness and consideration for their coworkers, but being politically correct can also lead to mental fatigue.

I'm totally good with that.

Is "mental fatigue" something you can sue your employer for now?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ell said:

The problems of narcissists ...

You could expand on that, if you like.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm totally good with that.

Is "mental fatigue" something you can sue your employer for now?

No, but mental fatigue means you have worked your brain.  Feel the burn baby you are getting smarter.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Michelle said:

Is that why they look like they've got a stick up their butt all the time?

Going through life constantly looking to be offended is an expression of immaturity and that person's problem is NOT going to change until they choose to grow up.  Pushing those around them to humor their pettiness is the wrong approach and will lead to a backlash.  These perpetually offended workers would likely make problems for their fellows just for their refusal to openly acknowledge some esoteric definition or opinion.  IOW, they'd be pizzed if people disagree with them even if that disagreement took the guise of silence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I recall my buddy his ex she was over 6ft and at least 500lbs, so she gets cross with her doc for calling her morbidly obese,  shes so angry she calls some agency and tells them they ask her if she is morbidly obese so she lost it.

If a person is faking it trying to be PC but is at heart a DBag then i can imagine it would wear them out mentally and likely agitate them on top of it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, and then said:

Going through life constantly looking to be offended is an expression of immaturity and that person's problem is NOT going to change until they choose to grow up.

Some people are indeed like that.

But as a general rule, names we used to taunt other kids on the playground or racial epithets used to generate distance and animosity during war like WOP, KRAUT, GOOK, SLOPE, etc.  are probably not still appropriate for adults in th eworkplace.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

But as a general rule, names we used to taunt other kids on the playground or racial epithets used to generate distance and animosity during war like WOP, KRAUT, GOOK, SLOPE, etc.  are probably not still appropriate for adults in th eworkplace.

Yeah. Everyone agrees that certain words aren't appropriate for work.

Its really just a debate about which words.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Would you just stop being so Australian, already? 

British humour, actually i,e, understated sarcasm.

Best to root out the offensively offended at the beginning of a conversation so one may ignore them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I see a lot of fingers pointed at the "easily offended" but its not all there fault as humans we should try to have couth, actually we shouldnt have to try it should be natural but a lot of people think they are entitled to say whatever they feel like brainlessly blurting i guess they can blurt but also have to accept how it makes them look.

Being a dbag was hammed into a certain type by 4 years of an incompetent low brow leader whose go to was the insult making his sheep think it was cool.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This threads made me curious. Does anyone have examples of what they want to say at work but they don't because of PC?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

This threads made me curious. Does anyone have examples of what they want to say at work but they don't because of PC?

Not me, but we are George Carlin brutal. The guys tell women/wife jokes. I tell them guy/husband jokes. For our good friends and well known customers it may be the ethnicity. I made the mistake of saying there is more than one way to skin a cat when we were out on a job. I got chewed out by some chick asking me why I would want to skin a cat and how horrible that was. Geez...:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

• This topic was locked and unlocked