Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Snakebites becoming more common in the UK

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

A rise in exotic pet ownership means snakebite injuries are becoming more common in the UK, doctors are warning.

In the last 11 years medics have seen and treated 300 victims.

Some 72 of the patients were teenagers or children - 13 were under the age of five.

Most of the people who had been bitten made a complete recovery, but some had to be treated in intensive care. One patient needed part of their finger amputating, and one man died.

He was a reptile conservationist who had been bitten by a king cobra - the world's longest venomous snake.

It is not illegal to keep some exotic reptiles as pets. The RSPCA advises people to research as much as possible about what it entails before buying one, since caring for them properly can be challenging.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62213080

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My nephew married a lovely young lady who also happens to be a budding Herpetologist and it was a real adjustment to feel comfortable when visiting them :)   She and her circle of friends are extremely devoted to the study and the care of snakes and she would often allow her pet snakes the free roam of their apartment.  All of that came to an abrupt halt when a friend brought her a "gift" of a pygmy rattlesnake.  She saw no problem with having the critter in their home and did not intend to let it out of its cage but my nephew just couldn't accept it.  

16 minutes ago, and then said:

My nephew married a lovely young lady who also happens to be a budding Herpetologist and it was a real adjustment to feel comfortable when visiting them :)   She and her circle of friends are extremely devoted to the study and the care of snakes and she would often allow her pet snakes the free roam of their apartment.  All of that came to an abrupt halt when a friend brought her a "gift" of a pygmy rattlesnake.  She saw no problem with having the critter in their home and did not intend to let it out of its cage but my nephew just couldn't accept it.  

As someone who has been obsessed all his life and is actually now pursuing a career in herpetology; plus a guy who used to have dedicated snake and spider rooms when I was truly collecting; letting your animals have free run of the house is ****in stupid and can be very dangerous for the animals 

• Like 1

This just happened today to a man in a town near where I live. Tonight's local news didn't know what type of a snake it was. The man was 28 and unresponsive when police arrived to find him with a snake wrapped around his neck. They said the snake was at least 15 ft long and really thick. The snake's head was far enough away from the man for police to shoot it in the head and they were somehow able to pull the man in another direction as the snake began to move away. It didn't die right away. The man is in the hospital. They don't know his condition. The snake is now dead.

https://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-snake-shooting-20220720-fjtmn6uibjezdl3v7si5o6uwjm-story.html

This was an earlier report as it happened in Macungie and not Fogelsville. WFMZ news tonight said it was the man's pet. That's my local news station.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/man-rushed-to-hospital-after-snake-found-wrapped-around-his-neck-in-fogelsville/article_13d67248-0869-11ed-86cf-5f73ade614ef.html

Here's a NBC New York report on it. They and WFMZ both said this snake was huge. They also say it was his pet.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/15-foot-snake-shot-dead-by-police-after-nearly-strangling-lehigh-valley-man/3783629/

Edited by susieice
  • Sad 1