Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shock report - leaving the EU has caused trade and travel problems

Silver

The scenes in and around Dover on Friday were beyond the worst nightmare of port officials, and they did not pull any punches when blaming the Police Aux Frontieres (PAF) for a brutal start to the summer.

“Woefully inadequate French border resource ruins start to the summer getaway,” was how the port summed up the debacle.  

Children were spotted running up and down the M20 as a six-hour queue quickly built up. Pets sweltered and the elderly complained of feeling carsick. Some people trapped in cars even stopped drinking water because they were desperate to go to the lavatory.

How France wrecked Britain's great summer getaway (msn.com)

Edited by The Silver Shroud
  • Sad 1

How wonderful it is that we have 'Taken Back Control' of our Borders-  anyone can get in, but we can't get out.

• Haha 1

French border police blames ‘unexpected’ incident for Dover bottlenecks.

I guess the unexpected incident is folks turning up to cross. The French have not mentioned Brexit despite it being their favorite excuse. ;)

Just the usual suspects over here. :o 

https://www.cityam.com/french-border-police-blames-unexpected-incident-for-dover-bottlenecks/

Irish hauliers in call over freight amid Dover delays.

The Irish Road Haulage Association issued the appeal on the second successive day of gridlock in the southern English port of Dover.

The association's president said the gridlock was not only on the British side of the channel and that they are monitoring the situation, but it could go on for three weeks.

Eugene Drennan said that there are between 20 and 30 Irish trucks stuck in Calais at the moment, as many as ten of which have been there for up to 24 hours now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0723/1311833-transport-brexit/

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Irish hauliers in call over freight amid Dover delays.

The Irish Road Haulage Association issued the appeal on the second successive day of gridlock in the southern English port of Dover.

The association's president said the gridlock was not only on the British side of the channel and that they are monitoring the situation, but it could go on for three weeks.

Eugene Drennan said that there are between 20 and 30 Irish trucks stuck in Calais at the moment, as many as ten of which have been there for up to 24 hours now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0723/1311833-transport-brexit/

The Irish Road Haulage Association (IRHA) is clear about this problem. It is nothing new but is escalating and says that 'it has been happening annually since Brexit and there is a repetitive nature to it.' It is only concerned with the problem posed to Irish freight going through Dover and says the problem is caused by the huge increase in holiday-makers cars and an apparent emphasis by passport control on clearing the occupants of private vehicles. The result is that freight is delayed. 

And what is the advice of the IRHA regarding Dover?

"Our advice would be to any haulier, or any Irish person travelling privately, to avoid Dover and avoid that southern corridor into France, it’s just too troublesome this time of year."

PS - Leaving the EU made you a third country. The rules regarding movement of people from third countries into the EU were made by the UK when it was still a member of the union and, not only should you have been aware of the consequences, but you were told what would happen by those who campaigned for Remain. The fact that your ports cannot handle the number of holiday-makers wishing to escape the UK is not Brussels' fault. Stop blaming the EU. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Dover traffic jams turn roadsides 'into public urinal'

Since Friday there have been hellish backlogs of traffic at the Port of Dover, with some saying they waited six hours to move just 75 metres.

Families rushed off for the start of the summer holidays, causing a huge bottleneck of cars, with traffic jams stretching back for miles.

One man told the BBC he’d waited ’30 hours’ to cross the Channel, with many people waiting more than seven hours.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/drivers-stuck-in-nightmare-dover-traffic-jams-turn-roadsides-into-public-urinal/ar-AAZTXOd?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Dover traffic jams turn roadsides 'into public urinal'

Since Friday there have been hellish backlogs of traffic at the Port of Dover, with some saying they waited six hours to move just 75 metres.

Families rushed off for the start of the summer holidays, causing a huge bottleneck of cars, with traffic jams stretching back for miles.

One man told the BBC he’d waited ’30 hours’ to cross the Channel, with many people waiting more than seven hours.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/drivers-stuck-in-nightmare-dover-traffic-jams-turn-roadsides-into-public-urinal/ar-AAZTXOd?

The Hauliers Association have been pleading for Portaloos but the government won't give in as it would be admitting there is a problem with queues. Best to pretend nothing is happening.

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

[...] Leaving the EU made you a third country. [...]

3rd country? Whos the 1st?

53 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Are you about to start coinciding with russian propaganda again? You know, accidentally... 

Brexit was done, it's now obvious all its supposed benefits were pure propaganda and all its downsides are very real. 

So it's obviously time to start fixing that damage because no one (sane and law-abiding) profits from chaos.  

It's also extremely clear that EUrope is not an enemy to the UK, because we are all Europeans. Yes, yes, the UK is special, just like everyone else. Be so especially kind to stop complicating lives of people who didn't vote for this chaos, or wouldn't vote for this chaos if they knew their promised exceptionalist empire will manifest in form of chaos. 

The EU won't be in particular rush to fix the damage for the UK, the initiative has to come from the UK side because obviously, the EU has no authority or desire to tell the UK what to do. It's up to UK and no one stands in UK's way, to restore sane relations with the EU.  

6 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Are you about to start coinciding with russian propaganda again? You know, accidentally... 

Brexit was done, it's now obvious all its supposed benefits were pure propaganda and all its downsides are very real. 

So it's obviously time to start fixing that damage because no one (sane and law-abiding) profits from chaos.  

It's also extremely clear that EUrope is not an enemy to the UK, because we are all Europeans. Yes, yes, the UK is special, just like everyone else. Be so especially kind to stop complicating lives of people who didn't vote for this chaos, or wouldn't vote for this chaos if they knew their promised exceptionalist empire will manifest in form of chaos. 

The EU won't be in particular rush to fix the damage for the UK, the initiative has to come from the UK side because obviously, the EU has no authority or desire to tell the UK what to do. It's up to UK and no one stands in UK's way, to restore sane relations with the EU.  

What?

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

The phrase 'third country' is not intended to be derogatory. It was coined during negotiations by parties belonging to the European Union when referring to countries not in the union, a bit like the common phrase 'third party' used in law by two entities negotiating a contract. It simply means a non-member of the EU.

That is what Brexiteers wanted for the UK and it meant the re-erection of a hard border between the EU and the UK. Now tens of thousands of British holidaymakers want to exit the UK for a holiday in (or via) the EU. Their passports must be checked and stamped at the border and their vehicles must also be checked by customs. 

The UK demanded to have control of its borders and an end to free movement of people. Now they stupidly blame the EU (and specifically France) for the delays caused by these controls. Add to this that Dover is a choke point (recall that Dominic Rabb publicly admitted that he foolishly did not know just how important Dover was to UK trade) and that the UK, an island state, failed to make provision for an increase in its port capacity in anticipation of what everyone knew was going to be a border fiasco. Kent and the roads into Dover have become a smelly open sewer, soiled by the urine and faeces of thousands of lorry-drivers, motorists and other short-taken travellers. The idiotic spectacle the UK is making of itself is destined to become even worse after the summer when biometric controls are introduced at these borders next September.  

Edited by Ozymandias

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

The phrase 'third country' is not intended to be derogatory. It was coined during negotiations by parties belonging to the European Union when referring to countries not in the union, a bit like the common phrase 'third party' used in law by two entities negotiating a contract. It simply means a non-member of the EU.

That is what Brexiteers wanted for the UK and it meant the erection of a hard border between the EU and the UK. Now tens of thousands of British holidaymakers want to exit the UK for a holiday in (or via) the EU. Their passports must be checked and stamped at the border and their vehicles must also be checked by customs. 

The UK demanded to have control of its borders and an end to free movement of people. Now they stupidly blame the EU (and specifically France) for the delays caused by these controls. Add to this that Dover is a choke point (recall that Dominic Rabb publicly foolishly admitted that he had not know just how important Dover was to UK trade) and that the UK, an island state, failed to increase its port capacity in anticipation of what everyone knew was going to be a border fiasco. Kent and the roads into Dover have become a smelly open sewer, soiled by the urine and faeces of thousands of lorry-drivers, motorists and other short-taken travellers. The idiotic spectacle the UK is making of itself is destined to become even worse after the summer when biometric controls are introduced at these borders next September.  

I hear you, I see what's happening.

From my viewpoint, Brits were sissies, and EU was bully. Don't say EU played fair game.

This is a blip. 

A blip that damages France more than the EU.

Lost revenue from holiday makers is considerable.

My friend has just put both his French homes up for sale this weekend. Time for him to explore further afield.

Au revoir France.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

From my viewpoint, Brits were sissies, and EU was bully. Don't say EU played fair game.

The EU played no game. The EU simply kept being the EU. Regret was expressed, but the EU (contrary to russian propaganda) cannot and doesn't want to stop anyone from leaving, if that is the will of a particular member state. 

Brexit was entirely Brexiters' choice and only Brexiters set their own goals and the pace at which they screwed up their traffic, economy and reputation. 

Also, the typically russian propaganda notion about the EU bullying around is not only a projection of russian "diplomacy" methods, but also an obvious stupidity, because we are the EU. It's not some Martians congregating at Brussels, you and I voted those people to be there and do what we, the voters, want. 

I didn't vote for any representatives who would bully the UK and there was no such representatives on the ballot at all. 

It is not what the EU does. It is what ruskies tell you that the EU does, because that's how they trick you into belief that the EU is magically taking your sovereignty away. Despite the fact that you vote for each of your representatives in the EU. You've got double control over geopolitics of your country, due to the EU. It was doubled, for deliberately blind god's sake, not diminished. 

Christ.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

The EU played no game. The EU simply kept being the EU. Regret was expressed, but the EU (contrary to russian propaganda) cannot and doesn't want to stop anyone from leaving, if that is the will of a particular member state. 

Brexit was entirely Brexiters' choice and only Brexiters set their own goals and the pace at which they screwed up their traffic, economy and reputation. 

Also, the typically russian propaganda notion about the EU bullying around is not only a projection of russian "diplomacy" methods, but also an obvious stupidity, because we are the EU. It's not some Martians congregating at Brussels, you and I voted those people to be there and do what we, the voters, want. 

I didn't vote for any representatives who would bully the UK and there was no such representatives on the ballot at all. 

[...]

Damn, you are good writer.

[...]

It is not what the EU does. It is what ruskies tell you that the EU does, because that's how they trick you into belief that the EU is magically taking your sovereignty away. Despite the fact that you vote for each of your representatives in the EU. You've got double control over geopolitics of your country, due to the EU. It was doubled, for deliberately blind god's sake, not diminished. 

Christ.  

ruskies told EU to withhold sanctions for transit of goods to Königsberg?

BTW, who put Europe on the russian gas needle? Weren't Germans, their polititians, and shills in other countries?

Who listened Poland, Lithuania. Ukraine who were concerned about dependecy of EU on russian gas, huh?

Yeah, geopolitics.

For the sake of geopolitics, lets combine Croats with Serbians, will be one country Croasserbriania, or Serbcroassia... whatever

I know, that is a really low blow, lowest of the low, but I'm asking to look at the picture from the different sides (several), please..

33 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

This is a blip. 

A blip that damages France more than the EU.

Lost revenue from holiday makers is considerable.

My friend has just put both his French homes up for sale this weekend. Time for him to explore further afield.

Au revoir France.

The French would say Au Revoir 'Les Rôtis de Bœuf'.

A considerable number of UK people will abandon their personal connections in Europe. Others will take their place. If a British person sells a house in France or Spain, or in some other manner stops spending money in Europe, it will be a loss, but no big deal. If the same UK person wants to spend his money outside the EU - i.e. much further afield - he will have less to spend because he has further to go in travel costs. Goodbye and good luck to them. Recent events have clearly shown they are in no way exceptional.

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

I agree with Helen's comments.

The Brits, as you call them, were stupid and the EU, that is all 27 countries of the EU, were only doing what any union of nations would do - protect their association from outsiders or renegades who want to be outside.

The EU reasoned with the UK and is still doing so. What has befallen the UK is entirely of its own doing and, not only that, but it was clearly advised of the consequences and yet wilfully carried on. It is now an outsider that did not prepare for its third country status despite knowing better than any what that would actually mean. 

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

The Brits, as you call them, were stupid and the EU, that is all 27 countries of the EU, were only doing what any union of nations would do - protect their association from outsiders or renegades who want to be outside.

Heh, basically, punish renegades? Isn't it?

Have you comprehension problems?

2 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Heh, basically, punish renegades? Isn't it?

No! It is simply that the UK is a third country and the EU must apply 'third country' rules to it - rules that the UK helped to formulate when it was still a member of the union. Greenland was a member of the EU. Does the EU now punish Greenland for leaving the union in 1982? No? The EU does not punish countries that are not members of it, it merely applies the rules that all 27 countries of the EU agreed to when dealing with non-members. What don't you understand about that?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Christ.  

When you people post these types of replies do you at some deeper level know you are lying or do you actually believe it?

The UK economy is doing fine, I`m confused as to why people think it isn`t. Its bizarre:

1797547723_ukgdp.jpg.b8f081e3a5c37c17a356a20aa7972a7e.jpg

Why is there a drive to mis-interpret everything that occurs as being evidence Brexit has failed? There are people here who claim they respect the UKs democratic right to have left the EU but everything they post shows otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Have you comprehension problems?

[...]

Might be

[..]No! It is simply that the UK is a third country and the EU must apply 'third country' rules to it - rules that the UK helped to formulate when it was still a member of the union. Greenland was a member of the EU. Does the EU now punish Greenland for leaving the union in 1982? No? The EU does not punish countries that are not members of it, it merely applies the rules that all 27 countries of the EU agreed to when dealing with non-members. What don't you understand about that?

You are sure 100% about that?

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The EU reasoned with the UK and is still doing so. What has befallen the UK is entirely of its own doing and, not only that, but it was clearly advised of the consequences and yet wilfully carried on. It is now an outsider that did not prepare for its third country status despite knowing better than any what that would actually mean. 

You people are all delusional.

Lets have a laugh, go on then, explain to us what has befallen the UK? Where is the economic collapse? Where is the economic chaos that is supposed to be going on around us here in Britain? Because I`m pretty sure not only myself but all my fellow countrymen would like to know and be able to see it LMAO.

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

When you people post these types of replies do you at some deeper level know you are lying or do you actually believe it?

The UK economy is doing fine, I`m confused as to why people think it isn`t. Its bizarre:

1797547723_ukgdp.jpg.b8f081e3a5c37c17a356a20aa7972a7e.jpg

Why is there a drive to mis-interpret everything that occurs as being evidence Brexit has failed? There are people here who claim they respect the UKs democratic right to have left the EU but everything they post shows otherwise.

I can answer - fluke [sarcasm off]

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The French would say Au Revoir 'Les Rôtis de Bœuf'.

A considerable number of UK people will abandon their personal connections in Europe. Others will take their place. If a British person sells a house in France or Spain, or in some other manner stops spending money in Europe, it will be a loss, but no big deal. If the same UK person wants to spend his money outside the EU - i.e. much further afield - he will have less to spend because he has further to go in travel costs. Goodbye and good luck to them. Recent events have clearly shown they are in no way exceptional.

France needs that tourist pound it has gotten fat on over the years.

They lose that, they lose it all.

Travelling further afield does not diminish my friend's spending power, he will continue to spend the same amount plus a little extra travel costs.

The Uk should boycott French holidays for a year. It'll help the French focus.

@bmk1245 You are not very well versed in this, huh? 

Unlike "russian world" whose propaganda you keep repeating all over this site, I hope unwittingly, the EU is not combining into existence any new nations. It simply gathers European nations, which already have their European identity. It's nothing new or artificial. My European identity is not in contradiction with my national identity, these identities constitute each other. 

Russian propaganda is trying to trick stupider people into belief that there is only their national identity, that such identity is not European and that if you feel European that must mean you've stopped identifying nationally. Which is an obvious stupidity, because each European national identity is an European national identity. Not Asian. An exception is russian national identity which is only partially European. Maybe the reason why you think Europeans are not sure about being European. 

Now I'll stop wasting my time on russian view of the "evils" of the EU, because the reality debunked it. 

No Brexiter promise of miracles was fulfilled. Brexit brought bizarre obstacles, which the UK inflicted on itself. Russian propaganda that those obstacles are the revenge of the evil, all-powerful EU imply that the UK is too weak to resist such mythical EU monster, which is a bit too offensive for the UK, to be honest. 

I'm looking forward to restoration of good relations between the EU and the UK because this chaos is complicating lives of ordinary European people and serves the purpose of weakening common European defense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1