Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Solved] What is preaching that is prohibited in UM forums?

oslove

2i. Preaching: Do not use the site to 'preach' your own beliefs or views to other members.

I need to know what is preaching in order to avoid preaching, for I don't want to be banned for preaching or otherwise penalized.

I have been accused by members to engage in preaching, and thus I need to know what it is, otherwise how can I abstain from it?

I just hope that asking this question here does not get me in serious trouble with the powers that be in UM - but I really cannot anymore resist just asking what is preaching that is prhobited in UM, and please oh please, if I may, do not oh please do not tell me that "ignorance of the law does not excuse anyone from (unwillingly) transgressing the law."

8 hours ago, oslove said:

2i. Preaching: Do not use the site to 'preach' your own beliefs or views to other members.

I need to know what is preaching in order to avoid preaching, for I don't want to be banned for preaching or otherwise penalized.

I have been accused by members to engage in preaching, and thus I need to know what it is, otherwise how can I abstain from it?

I just hope that asking this question here does not get me in serious trouble with the powers that be in UM - but I really cannot anymore resist just asking what is preaching that is prhobited in UM, and please oh please, if I may, do not oh please do not tell me that "ignorance of the law does not excuse anyone from (unwillingly) transgressing the law."

bacislly, sharing your beliefs is “I believe….” and is reflective on self, “preaching” is “I believe…” and directed at others. It’s a knife thin line. 
Saying (for example) “the Bible says for men to not lie with men” is sharing beliefs, saying “you’re going to burn in eternal hellfire” is preaching.

Edited by Saru
Updated example
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oslove said:

You've already broken Rule 5i, so why not break a few more? :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, oslove said:

When you write a post, ask yourself if you are sharing an opinion or telling other people what they should believe ?

"Preaching" usually involves attempting to promote or push your religious beliefs onto others.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

bacislly, sharing your beliefs is “I believe….” and is reflective on self, “preaching” is “I believe…” and directed at others. It’s a knife thin line. 
Saying (for example) “the Bible says for men to not lie with men” is sharing beliefs, saying “you’re going to burn in eternal hellfire” is preaching.

So, preaching is when a member threatens another member with the hell of the Bible unless this latter converts to the Bible God?

I never ever threaten anyone at all with any hell at all unless he converts to my God (and my God is not the Bible God).

So, those members who could have reported me as preaching, reported me to the powers that be here, they were reporting in-correctly.

Wherefore, I can't understand why Saru and Rashmore take them as having reported me correctly, did Saru and Rashmore neglect to require the reporters to provide evidence of my having threatened them with the hell of the Bible, when in fact I never ever threaten any harm to any member of UM.

The only thing that I have done and it is wrong (but I did not know it) is to have suggested to anohter member that he could commit suicide - and I think either Saru or Rashore called me out on that - and I promised not to do that anymore, and it was only one time, unwittingly.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Saru said:

When you write a post, ask yourself if you are sharing an opinion or telling other people what they should believe ?

"Preaching" usually involves attempting to promote or push your religious beliefs onto others.

If I may, what then is this division all about, Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs?

I am telling God-deniers that they don't have the concept of God among God-knowers, so they are targeting a strawman; and if they have the concept of God among God-knowers, then we - they God-deniers and I God-knower, can proceed to prove together that God exists or does not exist.

Is that preaching?

4 hours ago, oslove said:

If I may, what then is this division all about, Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs?

I am telling God-deniers that they don't have the concept of God among God-knowers, so they are targeting a strawman; and if they have the concept of God among God-knowers, then we - they God-deniers and I God-knower, can proceed to prove together that God exists or does not exist.

Is that preaching?

I would consider the use of the terms "God-denier" and "God-knower" to be preaching.

You are basically telling people that your beliefs are absolute and that anyone who doesn't agree with you is in denial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 7/25/2022 at 4:24 PM, Saru said:

I would consider the use of the terms "God-denier" and "God-knower" to be preaching.

You are basically telling people that your beliefs are absolute and that anyone who doesn't agree with you is in denial.

I am sorry, until I just now read your post, I had been using those two terms, thinking that they are the most definitive terms to communicate to readers what I am and  whom I am trying to interact with.

So, if I may, how do I describe someone who does not accept God exists, and myself who accept God exists - so as not to incur the charge of preaching?

I am now really honestly at a loss how to tell others that I am a person who accept God exists, and I want to interact with people who don't accept God exists.

It seems I am treading on land mines all the time in UM.

And it seems that members who don't accept God exists can call me anything unkind and get away with it.

I sincerely care to be on good terms with everyone here, in particular Saru and Rashore.

I feel that a lot of UM members wished that I would get so depressed that I would just leave UM altogether - but why should I when I enjoy reading things in UM and also interacting with members here who are nice to me - and I am nice to them also.

14 minutes ago, oslove said:

I feel that a lot of UM members wished that I would get so depressed that I would just leave UM altogether - but why should I when I enjoy reading things in UM and also interacting with members here who are nice to me - and I am nice to them also.

Nobody here is thinking that, everyone is welcome to participate here regardless of their personal views or beliefs.

And it seems that members who don't accept God exists can call me anything unkind and get away with it.

Use the 'report' button to let the moderators know if you feel someone else is acting inappropriately.

15 minutes ago, oslove said:

So, if I may, how do I describe someone who does not accept God exists, and myself who accept God exists - so as not to incur the charge of preaching?

The generally accepted term for someone who doesn't believe that there is a God is "atheist", (or "agnostic" if they believe that the existence or otherwise of God is inherently unknowable).

I can't tell you how to refer to yourself - it depends on your personal religious beliefs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Saru said:

Nobody here is thinking that, everyone is welcome to participate here regardless of their personal views or beliefs.

Use the 'report' button to let the moderators know if you feel someone else is acting inappropriately.

The generally accepted term for someone who doesn't believe that there is a God is "atheist", (or "agnostic" if they believe that the existence or otherwise of God is inherently unknowable).

I can't tell you how to refer to yourself - it depends on your personal religious beliefs.

Thanks! I really appreciate your patience and that you are nice to me.

Forgive me, how come the owners/operators of UM do not have some kind of manifesto on the subject called "About Us," where they inform people everyone what they are and what they adhere to and why - I don't seem to find any link to that end.

17 minutes ago, oslove said:

Forgive me, how come the owners/operators of UM do not have some kind of manifesto on the subject called "About Us," where they inform people everyone what they are and what they adhere to and why - I don't seem to find any link to that end.

Not sure what to tell you - we've been running for 21 years and I don't think we've ever had a page like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oslove said:

Thanks! I really appreciate your patience and that you are nice to me.

Not trying to be a dick here, but why should we have a list/registry that tells who we are and what we believe or don't believe?  I'll gladly tell anyone if I'm asked, but I'm not going to fill out my info on some sort of list.  That's odd. 

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Saru said:

No plans to set up a page like that at the present time.

Thanks a lot for your patience with me, appreciate that.

• Like 1

Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs

Discussing faith, religion and spiritual beliefs.

'Spirituality, Religion and Beliefs' board guidelines

Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed. Several of the topics in this section cover some sensitive areas and it is important to respect the views of others; this means no flaming, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks. We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others.

Note: The Spirituality vs Skepticism board has been discontinued and all the threads have been merged into this section. Discussion and views from all sides are now represented here, so it is important to keep your comments civil and respectful at all times.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/forum/95-spirituality-religion-and-beliefs/

I don't see the word god or God mentioned above, so if I start a thread to prove God exists, is such a thread allowed in UM?

There is this line from above:

"We must also ask that members do not use the forums to promote or 'preach' their personal spiritual beliefs to others."

Is that word 'preach' referring to proving God exists, so that to play safe, just don't start any thread at all to prove God exists?

Why not just prohibit any thread at all that seeks to prove God exists?

I don't see the word god or God mentioned above, so if I start a thread to prove God exists, is such a thread allowed in UM?

I don't think it's possible to prove that one way or the other, however you can start a thread on it if you want.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to [Solved] What is preaching that is prohibited in UM forums?
  • The topic was locked