Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anti-Woke Comic Book Rakes in Nearly $3 Million in Days Defying the Cancel Culture Left

el midgetron

This raises the hypothetical possibility that women have never contributed anything to civilization.

• Like 1

Tatiana Maslany, star of the upcoming Disney+ Marvel series She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, says the phrase “strong female lead” is problematic, demonstrating once again that even well-meaning praise for woke celebrities will only make them more dissatisfied and insufferable.

Maslany told the Guardian that she finds the “strong female lead” label irritating in an interview promoting She-Hulk.

It’s reductive,” the Emmy-winning actress said. “It’s just as much a shaving off of all the nuances, and just as much of a trope. It’s a box that nobody fits into. Even the phrase is frustrating. It’s as if we’re supposed to be grateful that we get to be that.”

“I’m really interested in when these [marginalized] voices get to speak without it being like: ‘Oh my God, it’s all women,’ or, ‘Oh my God, this is a story about a queer couple,’ and those stories become as innately expected as they are now special,” Maslany added.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2022/08/15/never-woke-enough-disney-she-hulk-star-tatiana-maslany-says-the-phrase-strong-female-lead-is-problematic/

8 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Tatiana Maslany, star of the upcoming Disney+ Marvel series She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, says the phrase “strong female lead” is problematic, demonstrating once again that even well-meaning praise for woke celebrities will only make them more dissatisfied and insufferable.

Maslany told the Guardian that she finds the “strong female lead” label irritating in an interview promoting She-Hulk.

It’s reductive,” the Emmy-winning actress said. “It’s just as much a shaving off of all the nuances, and just as much of a trope. It’s a box that nobody fits into. Even the phrase is frustrating. It’s as if we’re supposed to be grateful that we get to be that.”

I’m really interested in when these [marginalized] voices get to speak without it being like: ‘Oh my God, it’s all women,’ or, ‘Oh my God, this is a story about a queer couple,’ and those stories become as innately expected as they are now special,” Maslany added.

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2022/08/15/never-woke-enough-disney-she-hulk-star-tatiana-maslany-says-the-phrase-strong-female-lead-is-problematic/

I agree with her and am happy that "woke" people are finally coming to the same conclusion.

"Strong female lead" is an annoying box that isn't needed anymore.

And I agree with the bolded. I actually feel like this is something you'd agree with to El? 

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I agree with her and am happy that "woke" people are finally coming to the same conclusion.

And I agree with the bolded. I actually feel like this is something you'd agree with to El? 

Honestly, I’m not entirely clear about the intent of her comment. What struck me the most was her annoyance at her part being described as a strong female lead. 

While I do agree with the idea you bolded, which can be read is a rejection of the social collateral of identity politics, I’m not sure if she intended it as that or if it was an awkward attempt to up the grievance-ante by a white woman who perhaps is feeling marginalized in an increasingly intersectional culture. 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:52 PM, spartan max2 said:

She’s not wrong, men can play all sorts of characters, but inevitably women pay “strong female leads” and inevitably that strength is reduced to being ONLY about physical strength. We literally see it in the She-Hulk trailer where she’s shown to be stronger than Bruce. 
The ur-version of “the strong female lead” is pretty much Ellen Ripley, and I’d be hard pressed to describe her as a physically strong character. Buffy is physically stronger than she looks, but her strengths extend into other realms as well, like emotional strength, an awareness of herself, intellectual strength as well. They are well rounded characters, but this modern “to be strong, you need to kick more **** than the boys” idea has reached its nadir where Galadriel is turned into nothing more than a warrior with a sword and not someone in possession of wisdom, grace, cunning, awareness, compassion, who fought Sauron by bringing understanding and unity into the world to counter his wave of hatred and division. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, Golden Duck said:

How did Superman get US Citizenship?

Clark Kent gained his US Citizenship wrongfully, by way of false statements by Jon and Martha Kent.  If this was discovered, would he be stripped of his citizenship and be left stateless?

Is it woke to give a nod to the reality of citizenship law?

It's that kind of stuff that he's trying to stop cluttering comic books.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

She’s not wrong, men can play all sorts of characters, but inevitably women pay “strong female leads” and inevitably that strength is reduced to being ONLY about physical strength. We literally see it in the She-Hulk trailer where she’s shown to be stronger than Bruce. 
The ur-version of “the strong female lead” is pretty much Ellen Ripley, and I’d be hard pressed to describe her as a physically strong character. Buffy is physically stronger than she looks, but her strengths extend into other realms as well, like emotional strength, an awareness of herself, intellectual strength as well. They are well rounded characters, but this modern “to be strong, you need to kick more **** than the boys” idea has reached its nadir where Galadriel is turned into nothing more than a warrior with a sword and not someone in possession of wisdom, grace, cunning, awareness, compassion, who fought Sauron by bringing understanding and unity into the world to counter his wave of hatred and division. 

Sarah Connor going back to the 1st Terminator movie as well. It comes down to lazy writing and character development. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, el midgetron said:

“I’m really interested in when these [marginalized] voices get to speak without it being like: ‘Oh my God, it’s all women,’ or, ‘Oh my God, this is a story about a queer couple,’ and those stories become as innately expected as they are now special,” Maslany added.

Unfortunately, the narratives pushed by the actors/ actresses and showrunners from Marvel/Disney (and other big corporate entities) are responses to diminishing returns to their shows/movies.  As their products continue to fail to make profits, they feed a the MSM these stories to gin up interest.

The ham fisted manner in which agenda driven entertainment has been delivered for the most part since 2016 has created a customer base that wants simple entertainment. Items not cluttered with political narratives or agendas. You only need to look to Top Gun: maverick and its remarkable run and earnings that illustrates this point. 

Mr. July is simply taking the initiative and addressing the majority of comic book fans disillusionment with the what has been happening in comics for several years now as well.

• Like 1

Hungary’s national media regulator has launched an investigation into streaming giant Netlfix over a children’s cartoon that features a lesbian kiss between two teenage girls – a possible violation of its 2021 law prohibiting LGBT-themed material targeted at children.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2022/08/18/hungary-investigates-netflix-over-lesbian-kiss-scene-in-childrens-cartoon-programme/

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

So it's been a few months and the thread has reached 6 pages, so I have to ask.....  Has anyone read the comic yet?

No. I can say definitively that no one here has read the comic book.  

On 7/23/2022 at 7:17 PM, el midgetron said:

A new comic book publisher, “Rippaverse” comic books, from comic book writer Eric July has raked in some $3 million in funding in a matter of days based on his promise to release a series of superhero comics that leaves all the left-wing wokeness behind.

Not long ago, July decided to appeal to the public to kick off his “Rippaverse” comic books. He set a goal of $100,000 to help develop the characters, create the art, and print the books. But showing how much comics fans hunger for superhero entertainment without all the left-wingery, he raised an astonishing amount just short of $3 million, instead of a mere $100K…..

……Artist Eltaeb quit working for DC Comics when the company decided to sanitize Superman by removing “America” his long-time slogan, “truth, justice, and the American way.”

“I dreamed of being a comic artist since I was a little boy, and I worked my way up,” Eltaeb said. “I made it to DC Comics and made it to Superman. My little-boy dream came true, they made him ‘woke,’ they got rid of his American citizenship.”

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2022/07/23/non-woke-comic-book-rakes-in-nearly-3-million-defying-cancel-culture-leftism/

Good for this guy. I wish him all the success in the world. 

So, if he includes any minorities, people of color, or women in his "anti-woke" comic book, they'll be portrayed as ignorant, lazy, dishonest, and needing white men to civilize them?

1 minute ago, Portre said:

So, SNL "died" six years ago?

According to Rob Schneider.

I wouldn’t really know as it been more like 20 years since I have watched SNL. 

4 minutes ago, Portre said:

So, if he includes any minorities, people of color, or women in his "anti-woke" comic book, they'll be portrayed as ignorant, lazy, dishonest, and needing white men to civilize them?

You sir, illustrate perfectly why people are willing to pay $35 for a “anti-woke” comic book.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Portre said:

Rippa is black dude, constant guest on Geeks+Gamers and here is his artwork at https://rippaverse.com/

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

So it's been a few months and the thread has reached 6 pages, so I have to ask.....  Has anyone read the comic yet?

Be it "woke" or "anti-woke" I'm not paying $35 for a comic lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Be it "woke" or "anti-woke" I'm not paying $35 for a comic lol

Good thing no one forcing you to buy it.

Heck, I may buy Rippa's book, though I don't like comix, I prefer books.

23 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Good thing no one forcing you to buy it

Obviously. You made a pointless comment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 9:16 PM, el midgetron said:

I get what she’s saying. Irritates the F out of me when people freak out that 62 year old man can shred guitar on one of those gots talent shows. The audience and the judges loosing it like

image.gif.bf5d54caa8bb090a8dc7052cdfe544e1.gif 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I get what she’s saying. Irritates the F out of me when people freak out that 62 year old man can shred guitar on one of those gots talent shows. The audience and the judges loosing it like

image.gif.bf5d54caa8bb090a8dc7052cdfe544e1.gif 

Old man knowing how to play guitar, truly amazing :innocent: lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1