Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anti-Woke Comic Book Rakes in Nearly $3 Million in Days Defying the Cancel Culture Left

el midgetron

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I get what she’s saying. Irritates the F out of me when people freak out that 62 year old man can shred guitar on one of those gots talent shows. The audience and the judges loosing it like

What! Old guys can shred guitar?  That is AMAZING.  Must be auto tuning and stop motion  video speeded up. Kids forget, teenagers come to doubt their grandparents could ever have been cool and talented, and maybe still are.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2022 at 7:55 PM, el midgetron said:

Now we need a LGBT+ dragon. 

…Oh, wait….

7789E59A-4DD2-4C9E-8BAE-22B08C5A6742.jpeg.c7d3fa17c4b518f42270b93e3321300d.jpeg

Not sure what the critics are out for in LOTR but it seems that they belive that Elfs are real, Whizzards, talking Dragons.....but a black character? Oh nooooo, imposible.

It is sad and scary when for some imagination becomes an apsolute reality.

• Like 1

Just now, odas said:

……:whistle: must….resist ….the …urge. Be strong…..don’t go there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, odas said:

Not sure what the critics are out for in LOTR but it seems that they belive that Elfs are real, Whizzards, talking Dragons.....but a black character? Oh nooooo, imposible.

Yeah, I wouldn't care if Black Panther would recast main character with eastern actor...

I would go mental, Black Panther is Black Panther, not Chinese/whatever Panther.

Edited by bmk1245
grammar

14 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

……:whistle: must….resist ….the …urge. Be strong…..don’t go there.

Keep it, don't let it go.

9 minutes ago, odas said:

I have watched quite a few you tube rants about this new series from channels that sadly have significant followings.  They are all critical of the casting racially.

Its disguised in their references to some of the source material, such as elves being described as fair of skin and such. In reality there is very little material of any depth about the nuances of each race in middle earth.  I get that some die hard fans of Tolkien may stick rigidly to the source material, but really, they need to take their heads out of their asses.

I have watched the first few episodes of the Rings of Power, I didn’t think I would but I actually really enjoyed it.  I am a bit of a Tolkien fanboy, but I found the story and dialogue to be very respectful to Tolkien’s style.  And I thought the hobbits story line was very good, I am guessing the meteor man is Gandalf, and that would explain his fondness for hobbits in LOTR.

Anyway point being, I thought the storytelling was good enough that the race of the actors didn’t matter at all.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, odas said:

Do you know what Tolkien was trying to achieve when he wrote his works about middle earth? 

Would you be upset if someone made an adaptation of the Ramayana epic, but all the characters were white, while all the evil characters were indian?

Basically the same thing was done in reverse.

I haven't seen ROP despite being a Tolkien fan. I've read the LOTR, enjoyed the movies, never watched the hobbit (well, maybe 30mins of the first movie).

What i appreciate in the movies was Peter Jackson saying that he didn't want any of his values in the movies, he wanted Tolkiens message to shine through to honor his works.

RoP stars have stated that they have "updated" Tolkiens works for the modern age, as if they could compete with the best author of the modern age, or possibly ever.

12 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

[...]

What i appreciate in the movies was Peter Jackson saying that he didn't want any of his values in the movies, he wanted Tolkiens message to shine through to honor his works.

RoP stars have stated that they have "updated" Tolkiens works for the modern age, as if they could compete with the best author of the modern age, or possibly ever.

Second that, kudos!

• Like 1

In Middle Earth, unlike reality, race is objectively real rather than socially constructed. There are species (elves, men, dwarves, etc.), but within those species there are races that conform to 19th-century race theory, in that their physical attributes (hair color, etc.) are associated with non-physical attributes that are both personal and cultural. There is also an explicit racial hierarchy which is, again, real in the world of the story. Middle Earth is literally a racist's fantasy land.

https://psmag.com/education/untangling-white-supremacy-from-medieval-studies

Behold the learned words of a PHD. 

24 minutes ago, Grey Area said:

I have watched quite a few you tube rants about this new series from channels that sadly have significant followings.  They are all critical of the casting racially.[...]

Links, please.

4 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

This comic can be purchased at a kiosk located at Steve Bannon's wall.

Rippa is black man, What are you saying again?...

1 minute ago, bmk1245 said:

Rippa is black man, What are you saying again?...

I mean, I'm not sure if that was an attempt at a joke, but I truly don't get it.  

There are of course, lengthy 1 star reviews as well, this one focused on what it views as a poor presentation of Galadriel and the elves:

“Who is this disagreeable and unlikeable person you've got pretending to be Galadriel? Where is the Elf-Lord she has been married to for about a thousand years at this point? Where is the daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel? Where is the wife of Elrond? Why is Galadriel trying to avenge her brother Finrod, who isn't dead at all, but alive and well in Valinor? The nobility, faithfulness, and true heartedness of Finrod Felagund is legend in Middle Earth. His heroic death and the deeds which led to that death are symbolic of the bond of friendship between Elves and the Edain. The ring he gave to Barahir is the same ring worn by Aragorn in the War of the Ring thousands of years later. There was nothing dark or bitter about his death. His sacrifice was so noble that the Valar reembodied him in Valinor almost immediately.”

Most of the 1 star reviews you can see are focused on the show not being faithful to Tolkien's source material, and I am not seeing any of the “dwarves and elves shouldn’t be black” type pushback we’ve seen on the internet about the show. I assume it’s possible that outright racist/sexist reviews are policed and deleted, leaving the ones that are more about the substance of the show, the characters, the writing, and the supposed lack of faithfulness to Tolkiens’ work. I saw one review that spent a whole paragraph on how the elves shouldn’t have short hair. People have lots of thoughts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/09/10/amazon-has-turned-rings-of-power-star-ratings-back-on-heres-how-fans-are-scoring-it/amp/

Edited by el midgetron
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

Do you know what Tolkien was trying to achieve when he wrote his works about middle earth? 

Would you be upset if someone made an adaptation of the Ramayana epic, but all the characters were white, while all the evil characters were indian?

Basically the same thing was done in reverse.

I haven't seen ROP despite being a Tolkien fan. I've read the LOTR, enjoyed the movies, never watched the hobbit (well, maybe 30mins of the first movie).

I have enjoyed ROP so far. I haven't read the books, only seen the movies. 

I'm sure some hardcore fans have lore issues that the show may have overlooked. But I definitely don't see what you're saying with the race thing.

We have seen 3 black characters in the story so far, one is clearly a good guy but the other two a bit more complicated. There are also plenty of good white characters.

Having black people in fantasy is good because it makes it more relatable. It's kind of odd how we have had fantasy as all white people for so long.

Diversity is good in media when they don't pull a Dr Who and think that casting a woman doctor counts as a plot so the writing can suck lol

Since you like Tolkien stuff alot you should really give RoP a shot before calling it quits.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

What parts you did enjoyed?

Seeing the world before the movies. Like the proto-hobits ("harfoots"). Learning a bit more about the war.

I know some people feel like the lead elf lady is too unfriendly and unlikable. But like she has fought for hundreds of years, a solider. I don't expect her to be super bubbly lol

Edited by spartan max2

On 7/24/2022 at 3:17 AM, el midgetron said:

A new comic book publisher, “Rippaverse” comic books, from comic book writer Eric July has raked in some $3 million in funding in a matter of days based on his promise to release a series of superhero comics that leaves all the left-wing wokeness behind.

Not long ago, July decided to appeal to the public to kick off his “Rippaverse” comic books. He set a goal of $100,000 to help develop the characters, create the art, and print the books. But showing how much comics fans hunger for superhero entertainment without all the left-wingery, he raised an astonishing amount just short of $3 million, instead of a mere $100K…..

……Artist Eltaeb quit working for DC Comics when the company decided to sanitize Superman by removing “America” his long-time slogan, “truth, justice, and the American way.”

“I dreamed of being a comic artist since I was a little boy, and I worked my way up,” Eltaeb said. “I made it to DC Comics and made it to Superman. My little-boy dream came true, they made him ‘woke,’ they got rid of his American citizenship.”

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2022/07/23/non-woke-comic-book-rakes-in-nearly-3-million-defying-cancel-culture-leftism/

Good for this guy. I wish him all the success in the world. 

Oh no imagine the 5000 people with super hurt feelings while the other million enjoys reading the books.

It must be banned! The author is obviously an extremist!

Edited by Cookie Monster

17 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Having black people in fantasy is good because it makes it more relatable. It's kind of odd how we have had fantasy as all white people for so long.

Diversity is good in media when they don't pull a Dr Who and think that casting a woman doctor counts as a plot so the writing can suck lol

Since you like Tolkien stuff alot you should really give RoP a shot before calling it quits.

Not sure what you mean here.

Middle earth was based on England, LOTR was supposed to be a fantasy story similar to the Nordic Stories, like Beowolf. Tolkien was disappointed that England didn't have its own epics, so he literally made one, complete with fully formed languages for different races.

Medieval England was ethnically homogenous. If you made a movie about medieval England and included black characters, this would make the movie less relatable and take you "out of the moment" when watching, just as if you were watching a movie about medieval japan and there was a bunch of white characters just randomly walking through the village.

If you wanted darker skinned people to be a focus of RoP, then there was plenty of canonical ways to do it within Tolkiens universe.

Why not focus on the easterlings? Show how sauron corrupted them, maybe they were good people and the story of their corruption  would be compelling. But they had their own lands, their own villages, their own customs. 

All I'm saying is there are ways of including diverse actors without damaging the story and also respecting Tolkien and his message.

What I am interested in now is the explanation of where all the diversity went between the third and 1st age? Was there elvish race wars? Or perhaps I shouldn't think about canonical implications.... I think Tolkien would though

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Seeing the world before the movies. Like the proto-hobits ("harfoots"). Learning a bit more about the war.

I know some people feel like the lead elf lady is too unfriendly and unlikable. But like she has fought for hundreds of years, a solider. I don't expect her to be super bubbly lol

Wait a sec, you enjoyed kretins who were leaving their own for death? And telling stories 'bout that? Bejesus...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Wait a sec, you enjoyed kretins who were leaving their own for death? And telling stories 'bout that? Bejesus...

Wouldn't be much of a story if every single character was nice and caring lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

Not sure what you mean here.

Middle earth was based on England, LOTR was supposed to be a fantasy story similar to the Nordic Stories, like Beowolf. Tolkien was disappointed that England didn't have its own epics, so he literally made one, complete with fully formed languages for different races.

Medieval England was ethnically homogenous. If you made a movie about medieval England and included black characters, this would make the movie less relatable and take you "out of the moment" when watching, just as if you were watching a movie about medieval japan and there was a bunch of white characters just randomly walking through the village.

If you wanted darker skinned people to be a focus of RoP, then there was plenty of canonical ways to do it within Tolkiens universe.

Why not focus on the easterlings? Show how sauron corrupted them, maybe they were good people and the story of their corruption  would be compelling. But they had their own lands, their own villages, their own customs. 

All I'm saying is there are ways of including diverse actors without damaging the story and also respecting Tolkien and his message.

What I am interested in now is the explanation of where all the diversity went between the third and 1st age? Was there elvish race wars? Or perhaps I shouldn't think about canonical implications.... I think Tolkien would though

I don't think many people watch lord of the rings as a representation of medieval England. Being middle earth as opposed to a tale set in the real world but with fantasy monsters in it.

Mythos change overtime. People like being able to see themselves in media and stories. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Wouldn't be much of a story if every single character was nice and caring lol

What leaving your people to die brings character niceties?

3 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

What leaving your people to die brings character niceties?

Are you trolling?

Edit: maybe knobbs will be happy that thee decision to leave people behind was made by a black character :lol:

Edited by spartan max2