Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anti-Woke Comic Book Rakes in Nearly $3 Million in Days Defying the Cancel Culture Left

el midgetron

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

[...]

Mythos change overtime. People like being able to see themselves in media and stories. 

Recast Black Panther, make him white... "Mythos change overtime", isn't it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bmk1245 said:

Recast Black Panther, make him white... "Mythos change overtime", isn't it?

A dumb comparison. There are dozens of white superheros, already characters that are relatable. What would the purpose of making the black panther white be?

Whereas the Lord of the Rings movies did not have a single black person. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

There were entire armies of "POC" characters just waiting for a backstory 

download.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Knob Oddy

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

A dumb comparison. There are dozens of white superheros, already characters that are relatable. What would the purpose of making the black panther white be?

Do you even hear yourself?!! There are black superheroes!

Let me explain: you have African story, boy does that, other. At what point boy becomes eastern asian looking?

15 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

There were entire armies of "POC" characters just waiting for a backstory 

download.jpeg.jpg

I guess I should clarify that I don't think it's wrong to do it the way you suggest. 

Like that's how Game of Thrones did it. They had a seperate content that was basically Africa with clear slavery happening to them.

I just also don't see a problem with making more of the main characters black in other races in fantasy stories.

I don't know in Tolkien fantasy how the easterners are. But when you do it that way you easily run the risk of just making minorites all outsiders in "savage" backwards cultures if you don't do it right.

Edited by spartan max2

4 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Do you even hear yourself?!! There are black superheroes!

Let me explain: you have African story, boy does that, other. At what point boy becomes eastern asian looking?

I never said there won't black superheros? 

Edited by spartan max2

7 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I never said there won't black superheros? 

Read your post again. Tomorrow you'll get it.

3 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Read your post again. Tomorrow you'll get it.

I said there are dozens of white super heros, whereas in the Lord of the rings movies there were no black characters. So changing the black panther to white would be dumb.

Don't know how that confused you. 

5 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

RoP stars have stated that they have "updated" Tolkiens works for the modern age, as if they could compete with the best author of the modern age, or possibly ever.

Its an old tradition, goes all the way back to the Bible.   All of the heroes in that book were dark curly headed guys under 5'6"  with prominent noses. Yet every time we see a Saint, like Peter, or Jesus himself portrayed,  they are 6' light skinned, blonde hair and beards with blue eyes.   Must have been adapted for European audiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Its an old tradition, goes all the way back to the Bible.   All of the heroes in that book were dark curly headed guys under 5'6"  with prominent noses. Yet every time we see a Saint, like Peter, or Jesus himself portrayed,  they are 6' light skinned, blonde hair and beards with blue eyes.   Must have been adapted for European audiences.

I must have missed the descriptions in the Bible. Also mine isnt illustrated. 

But Tolkien was a Christian and his works reflect Christian messaging of self sacrifice. 

It would be another thing altogether to release "The Bible: part 2" and change the messaging completely "for modern times" and think you're a better author, or your works will be as respected as the original 

Edited by Knob Oddy

21 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

It would be another thing altogether to release "The Bible: part 2" and change the messaging completely

That was called the 'New Testament', maybe you haven't read it.

(plot spoiler) God was angry and vindictive and then became a nice guy.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

But Tolkien was a Christian and his works reflect Christian messaging of self sacrifice. 

It would be another thing altogether to release "The Bible: part 2" and change the messaging completely "for modern times" and think you're a better author, or your works will be as respected as the original 

I can see how changing the messaging would be upsetting to fans.

But in regard to what you and I were talking about with them adding black characters (which Tate then commented on about the bible) That alone wouldn't change the message of self sacrifice any. So I don't see why that would be a problem for you as a fan 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

I must have missed the descriptions in the Bible.

Saul was said to be a hesd taller than everyone else in Israel. 

9 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I said there are dozens of white super heros, whereas in the Lord of the rings movies there were no black characters. So changing the black panther to white would be dumb.

Don't know how that confused you. 

Well, some folk tales, say, Yoruban, don't have eastern asian characters. Does it mean its ok to bring Ching Chong into the picture for the sake of inclusivity?

Personally I think these type of conversations are a bit disturbing.  Literature is modified and re-interpreted all the time, but there is something quite sinister about the purist approach some of the voices have in these conversations.

Shakespeare is a good example, so many of Shakespeare’s story’s have been modified and edited for the modern world, I mean go to your local theatre and it is garuanteed that on its calendar will be some variation of a Shakespeare play, and Hollywood has cashed in so many times on Shakespeare, without provoking these sort of controversy’s.

This keeps the source material alive and brings it to new audiences, someone who watches RoP or LoTR are much more likely to be inspired to read the original text, how is that a bad thing?  So what if they have a black elf or black hobbit?

As for some of the purist comments about it being medieval England etc, well there were plenty of people of colour during that time period, I mean Europe had been pillaging the Middle East and Africa for decades, so the movement of peoples would not have been uncommon.

But seriously how many fans of the fantasy genre today watch or read LoTR content for its Christian message?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Recasting Black Panther as main character

zanilia-zhao-3be5.jpg

You're embarrassing yourself now.

• Like 2

Just now, Golden Duck said:

You're embarrassing yourself now.

How so?

I'm for inclusivity...

34 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

How so?

I'm for inclusivity...

Has any Caucasian character been recast as non-Caucasian? 
because “Barack O’Superman” aka “Black Superman” isn’t a race swapped Clark Kent, but another person entirely, Lucas Fox aka black Batman isn’t a race swapped Bruce Wayne etc…

4 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Has any Caucasian character been recast as non-Caucasian? 
because “Barack O’Superman” aka “Black Superman” isn’t a race swapped Clark Kent, but another person entirely, Lucas Fox aka black Batman isn’t a race swapped Bruce Wayne etc…

Hmm, ok, Chinese actress may be new main character in Black Panther *logy. Are you against that?

9 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

So, according to your reasoning LOTR should have been classified as "for white christian audience only"? You think that Tolkien himself had that in mind?

Btw. the Bible WAS changed to reflect the "Modern Times" of 4th century. 

• Like 3