Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Avatamsaka Sutra

Amita

Posted (edited)

Rumor has it that the BDK complete translation will be out in the next 12-18 months.

Chapter One is very deep, so this commentary by Master Hsuan Hua is helpful:

http://www.cttbusa.org/fas1/fas1p4and5.asp.html

In 2006 all of chapter one of the Flower Adornment Sutra, with Master Hua's comments was published by BTTS in four volumes.

Edited by Amita

Sutra:

Fire-ruling Spirit Light Illumining the Ten Directions gained a passage into liberation of refuting forever all foolish, attached views.

Commentary:

The next Fire-ruling Spirit is named Light Illumining the Ten Directions. As you can see, most of these Fire-ruling Spirits have light from fire. This particular Fire-ruling Spirit was named for having light that shines throughout the ten directions. She gained a passage into liberation of refuting forever all foolish, attached views. People who lack of wisdom, clarity, and light are foolish. Yet fools do not consider themselves foolish. Not knowing that they themselves are fools, they insist on the exact opposite and say that intelligent people are fools.

This is similar to the situation of a black crow landing on the back of a black pig and noticing the blackness of the pig, but not seeing its own blackness. Fools are the same way. They are fools precisely because they deny their own foolishness. Due to their foolishness, they have attachments that obstruct their understanding. Failing to understand situations, they become caught up in those situations. Rather than managing affairs, they are tied up by those affairs. With such attachments, they cannot achieve liberation, especially when they stubbornly cling to their own views. They insist that their own viewpoint is correct. An example of such intractable views can be found in our Way-place, where there are adults as well as children. When the children come here, they want to play. If the adults have a rigid outlook, they may claim that, because the children make so much noise here, their only recourse is not to attend the sutra lectures. They are so intransigent that they use the children as an excuse for not attending. Not only do they themselves not attend, they dissuade other people from attending. These are all instances of attachments to views. So long as people cling to such attached viewpoints, they cannot become enlightened. They cannot attain this passage to liberation. This Fire-ruling Spirit, however, could refute these types of foolish, attached views, and thus she did reach this passage into liberation.

• Like 1

Fire-ruling Spirit Treasury of Universal Flames gained a passage into liberation of totally dispelling all darkness in the world.

The sun?

Fire-ruling Spirit Banner of Universally Assembled Light gained a passage into liberation of eradicating all sentient beings’ delusions and their sufferings of aimless drifting and scorching torment.

The rainbow?

Fire-ruling Spirit Great Light Universally Shining gained a passage into liberation of a treasury of great compassion and steadfast power of blessings.  

The sun again? Or the moon?

I suspect that the person who wrote this stuff knew what he meant by it, but that person forgot to share those meanings with his readers.

What a mess.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ell said:

I suspect that the person who wrote this stuff knew what he meant by it, but that person forgot to share those meanings with his readers.

It helps or rather is necessary to know that a Bodhisattva spoke it.  The background can be learned at the link in the OP.  A sutra is not understood with no meditation on or knowledge of Mahayana Buddhism. There is much helpful matter at the beginning of Master Hua's comments:

http://www.cttbusa.org/fas1/fas1_part1.asp.html

A Fire Spirit is not human, but an invisible godly being that follows the Buddha and helps him in Buddha's redemptive work for all sorts of beings.

Edited by Amita

Posted (edited)

This how Master Hua began his nine year series of 2000 or so lectures on the Sutra.  This Preface is short, but contains all the root principles of the sutra.  It is most mystical and therefor Master's comments are needed.  Yet it is too sublime for most minds to grasp.

http://www.cttbusa.org/preface/faspreface_contents.asp.html

Edited by Amita

1 hour ago, Amita said:

It is most mystical and therefore Master's comments are needed.  Yet it is too sublime for most minds to grasp.

Nothing in the universe is mystical.
Clearly this Hua fellow doesn't have an inkling what he is chattering about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ell said:

Nothing in the universe is mystical.
Clearly this Hua fellow doesn't have an inkling what he is chattering about.

Ignorance can be blissful, more often it is merely satisfaction or contentment. 

Here are some facts about Master Hua, whom I knew for 16 years or so.

http://www.cttbusa.org/founder.asp.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amita said:

Ignorance can be blissful, more often it is merely satisfaction or contentment. 

Here are some facts about Master Hua, whom I knew for 16 years or so.

http://www.cttbusa.org/founder.asp.html

Actually ignorance is attachment ( to the past ), Yearning ( looking to the Future ) the only way to destroy ignorance is to maintain your focus in the present and in conjunction combine the Present with meditation and wisdom over time will be revealed ( even a blind man can see )

• Namaste:nw:
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Actually ignorance is attachment ( to the past ), Yearning ( looking to the Future ) the only way to destroy ignorance is to maintain your focus in the present and in conjunction combine the Present with meditation and wisdom over time will be revealed ( even a blind man can see )

• Namaste:nw:

An add too: I spent 5 years in MBSRT and took the training also my take away was along the lines you are suggesting Manwon, Namaste my friend. 

A fun article to read: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12671-014-0333-z

“I would argue that there is really no present moment. The present moment is one of these things that Buddhists have become terribly attached to. If you think about it, you try to find the present moment, you will never find anything. The present moment is actually just a concept; it can be a very useful, strategic concept … I will often say when instructing in meditation, “Stay in the present moment.” But I don’t mean by that, try to find this elusive thing called the present moment and stay in it. It’s basically a way of saying, Don’t get caught up in the unknown future. Don’t get caught up in reminiscing about the past. But confront the situation at hand. And the situation at hand is always unfolding. It’s fluid. It’s like water, it’s like a stream. Things are constantly impacting your senses, constantly bubbling up in your thoughts, constantly emerging as emotions and feelings; it’s always in motion, it’s moving. And it’s such a mobile experience that notion of ‘The present moment’ really has no place there. There’s no point really. So, every situation that occurs, and you could call it ‘at the present moment’ if you wish, but it’s basically an unfolding of events that is calling forth an appropriate response. And in this sense, it’s always in time.” Batchelor, S. (2009). On making a raft. Podcast recording at upaya Zen center. New Mexico: Santa Fe.

Edited by Sherapy

There is no present moment, or if there is, it's too damn hard to pin down. I've settled for the present hour, myself.

Another Life After Zen, excerpt. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

An add too: I spent 5 years in MBSRT and my take away was along the lines you are suggesting Manwon, Namaste my friend. 

A fun article to read: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12671-014-0333-z

“I would argue that there is really no present moment. The present moment is one of these things that Buddhists have become terribly attached to. If you think about it, you try to find the present moment, you will never find anything. The present moment is actually just a concept; it can be a very useful, strategic concept … I will often say when instructing in meditation, “Stay in the present moment.” But I don’t mean by that, try to find this elusive thing called the present moment and stay in it. It’s basically a way of saying, Don’t get caught up in the unknown future. Don’t get caught up in reminiscing about the past. But confront the situation at hand. And the situation at hand is always unfolding. It’s fluid. It’s like water, it’s like a stream. Things are constantly impacting your senses, constantly bubbling up in your thoughts, constantly emerging as emotions and feelings; it’s always in motion, it’s moving. And it’s such a mobile experience that notion of ‘The present moment’ really has no place there. There’s no point really. So, every situation that occurs, and you could call it ‘at the present moment’ if you wish, but it’s basically an unfolding of events that is calling forth an appropriate response. And in this sense, it’s always in time.” Batchelor, S. (2009). On making a raft. Podcast recording at upaya Zen center. New Mexico: Santa Fe.

This is exactly what I was taught about the thing we call the present moment, Yet, it’s not as complicated as it is described above basically, what I was taught is the present is defined as what you are doing right now at this exact microsecond! Basically it mean focus on the task at hand don’t look forward or back just learn to apply your consideration to the task at hand!

No here is the real question, is it possible to alway stay in the present . The answer is yes, If we are disciplined enough and don’t look back or forward we can only be in present, so present, past, future !

Take Cheri!:tu:

Gute Nacht? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...