Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US House passes assault weapons ban amid Republican pushback

Grim Reaper 6

The vote by the Democratic-majority House was a direct response to recent mass shootings in the US. The bill has little chance of progressing in the Senate because of Republican opposition.The US House of Representatives on Friday passed a bill to ban assault weapons, following a spate of recent mass shootings. The bill comes at a time of intensifying concerns about gun violence and shootings, including a supermarket shooting in Buffalo, the killing of school children in Uvalde, and the July Fourth shooting of revelers in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park. The legislation was approved by 217 lawmakers, with 213 against the measure. It's an attempt to reinstate an earlier 10-year assault weapons ban, which expired in 2004.vhttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/us-house-passes-assault-weapons-ban-amid-republican-pushback/ar-AA107els?ocid=EMMX&cvid=57c8bbc52f5f41d49692a2a40126753

• Like 2

160 people killed by “assault weapons” this year. 60,000 fentanyl deaths this year as well. Good to see their priorities are in order. Smh

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Good.  The public does not need assault weapons to protect itself from a tyrannical government…the military is made up of citizens who would side with the people if the suits get too big for their britches.   But, then again if loss of freedom is done slowly enough…we would be as unaware of it as a lobster in a slowly warming pot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

160 people killed by “assault weapons” this year. 60,000 fentanyl deaths this year as well. Good to see their priorities are in order. Smh

How many Weapons do you own?

3 hours ago, lightly said:

Good.  The public does not need assault weapons to protect itself from a tyrannical government…the military is made up of citizens who would side with the people if the suits get too big for their britches.   But, then again if loss of freedom is done slowly enough…we would be as unaware of it as a lobster in a slowly warming pot.

You actually right, I own more than 30 hand guns. Rifles, one sniper rifle, and 6 assault rifles (AR 10, 2 Ar 15, 2 AK 47 - AKM , 1 SKS ) and I also load my own Ammunition! But, even with that said, Assault Rifles have one purpose and that is to kill people,  because you can’t use them for hunting the Barrel lans and groves create to much spin, except my sniper rifles and that’s 50 cal it’s not good for hunting  either because it makes too much of a mess  ( Barrel Twists )!:yes:

6 assault 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You actually right, I own more than 30 hand guns. Rifles, one sniper rifle, and 6 assault rifles (AR 10, 2 Ar 15, 2 AK 47 - AKM , 1 SKS ) and I also load my own Ammunition! But, even with that said, Assault Rifles have one purpose and that is to kill people,  because you can’t use them for hunting the Barrel lans and groves create to much spin, except my sniper rifles and that’s 50 cal it’s not good for hunting  either because it makes too much of a mess  ( Barrel Twists )!:yes:-

6 assault 

Dontcha' you mean the fully automatic of those versions, bro? Cause I've used lighter semi-automatic AR15, MAK-90 (AK-47), and SKS to kill large groups of feral pigs in the fields. They're actually great for hunting. Feral pigs for damn sure.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gunn said:

Dontcha' you mean the fully automatic of those versions, bro? Cause I've used lighter semi-automatic AR15, MAK-90 (AK-47), and SKS to kill large groups of feral pigs in the fields. They're actually great for hunting. Feral pigs for damn sure.

Hey Gunn, it’s great to hear from you hope you and Your famlyare doing well!:tu: No Gun I actually mean what I said as far as the AR15 is concerned especially, and here is why. The AR15 uses 223 or 5.56 NATO rounds, which are light which allows the Rifling to impart more spin   on the bullet which will allow assault-style rifle bullets to not only penetrate, but also to perforate a human body. The energy of the bullet tears and shreds through tissue and bone, resulting in fractures, ruptured livers, torn blood vessels and swollen brains, leading to hemorrhage, shock and death.

This is why I load all the ammunition for my pistol, rifles, and assault rifles myself! By doing this I am to get the maximum ballistic effects ( damage /  Killing effect from each of my weapons)  to me doing the most damage possible is the purpose of owning a weapon in the first place. I learned about this and much more when I went through Sniper School so please bear with me because the factors I just described have a major effect on the lethality of a AR15

Gun what I am going to explain here isn’t even considered by the vast majority of people who buy a AR15. Because they don’t have clue that there are differences between the barrels rifling ( Spin ratio), barrel length, and especially the weight or the grain of bullet your using. You see the barrel rifling and the grain of the bullet will decrease the rifle’s effectiveness or super charge the effectiveness for killing!

Gun, bullet weight for 5.56 / 223 ammunition is of paramount importance, fact is the standard 5.56 / 223 round off the shelf is approximately. .55 grain, but if you want to have a more effective AR15 round for killing a .70 or .80 grain round is better, because it will do a hell of a lot more damage.  It also must be taken into consideration the rifling of the barrel on the AR15 that someone owns, because just buying a AR15 without knowing the rifling of the barrel is like closing you yes when shopping for shoes and hoping you get the right pair.

Depending upon when the AR15 was made, and depending upon the manufacturer rifling and even barrel length can vary.

Among the plethora of numbers found in AR-15 spec sheets is a figure called “twist rate,” denoted typically by a pair of numbers in a ratio, such as 1:7. Twist rate is the ratio of inches of bullet travel down the barrel needed to rotate the projectile one full turn. In this case, the bullet makes one full rotation every seven inches. Technically the more lans and groves ( Rifling ) the better when considering the effects and damage done to your intended target! So it’s very important to know the rifling of the barrel on the AR15 you own and 90 percent of AR15 owners have no idea. The charts below e plain this in detail and explain the grain of the bullet based upon rifling to get the most effective killing effects of the individual AR15 that someone owns, however in reality this is Greek to most AR15 enters.

94F097AE-2BEB-4B04-BE9A-3A7046274793.jpeg.300fe7c310c4c8eaf299ec4b593b3b6a.jpeg

2DA22D8F-3EB0-44BA-A847-A14492A3068C.thumb.jpeg.20a77ee1aecffa6b5ac136e21b6030f7.jpeg
Eugene Stoner’s earliest AR-15 variants employed a slow 1:14 twist rate, which was best suited for extremely light projectiles including 45- to 52-grain bullets. These barrels are very uncommon today, with the 1:12 barrel found on Colt’s early AR-15 models typically the slowest twist rate found available. 

The 1:12 is perfect for lightweight 55-grain bullets, which constitute the majority of practice and plinking .223 ammunition. However, most modern carbine barrels shorter than 20 inches feature faster twist rates, so shooters wanting a 1:12 should stick to the old-school 20-inch rifle pipe. Most modern AR-15 barrels will come in three twist rates: 1:9, 1:8, and 1:7. The 1:9 barrel is best for stabilizing lighter and mid-weight bullets between 45 and 77 grains

In most cases, but certainly not all the AR15 will have the rifling stamped on the exterior of the barrel this will depend upon the manufacturer and the over quality of the weapon produced.

D50728B5-5C31-42AB-B201-8BE5550EEA91.jpeg.c6eaa058cf05cf14128d6cecd2bd514f.jpegD50728B5-5C31-42AB-B201-8BE5550EEA91.jpeg.c6eaa058cf05cf14128d6cecd2bd514f.jpeg

AR-15 barrels will have the specifications stamped or engraved somewhere on the barrel, like these Windham Weaponry models. (Photo courtesy/Windham Weaponry)

The 1:8 twist barrel is the most versatile of the bunch, the perfect option for16-inch carbine AR-15 (the most common configuration on the market.) Keith Wood of Guns and Ammo said this barrel can “comfortably stabilize” up to an 80-grain projectile while still providing enough flexibility for shooters to use lighter ammo for matches like 3-Gun.

Lastly, the 1:7 twist barrel is the “mil-spec” choice, as the U.S. military adopted this setup in the 1980s for its M16A2 rifle running a 62-grain M855 5.56 round. The 1:7 barrel, found in the M4, M16A4, Mk12 SPR and HK416, can stabilize up to a 90-grain bullet, and handles 70- to 77-grain projectiles across a wide spectrum of velocities. However, shooters will likely notice a serious deterioration of performance trying to run lighter 55-grain ammo through longer 1:7 barrels, as the light projectile becomes over-stabilized.

Well Gun sorry this is all I have time for, sorry my friend maybe we can lick this up later!

Take care my friend!!:tu:

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey Gunn, it’s great to hear from you hope you and Your famlyare doing well!:tu: No Gun I actually mean what I said as far as the AR15 is concerned especially, and here is why. The AR15 uses 223 or 5.56 NATO rounds, which are light which allows the Rifling to impart more spin   on the bullet which will allow assault-style rifle bullets to not only penetrate, but also to perforate a human body. The energy of the bullet tears and shreds through tissue and bone, resulting in fractures, ruptured livers, torn blood vessels and swollen brains, leading to hemorrhage, shock and death.

This is why I load all the ammunition for my pistol, rifles, and assault rifles myself! By doing this I am to get the maximum ballistic effects ( damage /  Killing effect from each of my weapons)  to me doing the most damage possible is the purpose of owning a weapon in the first place. I learned about this and much more when I went through Sniper School so please bear with me because the factors I just described have a major effect on the lethality of a AR15

Gun what I am going to explain here isn’t even considered by the vast majority of people who buy a AR15. Because they don’t have clue that there are differences between the barrels rifling ( Spin ratio), barrel length, and especially the weight or the grain of bullet your using. You see the barrel rifling and the grain of the bullet will decrease the rifle’s effectiveness or super charge the effectiveness for killing!

Gun, bullet weight for 5.56 / 223 ammunition is of paramount importance, fact is the standard 5.56 / 223 round off the shelf is approximately. .55 grain, but if you want to have a more effective AR15 round for killing a .70 or .80 grain round is better, because it will do a hell of a lot more damage.  It also must be taken into consideration the rifling of the barrel on the AR15 that someone owns, because just buying a AR15 without knowing the rifling of the barrel is like closing you yes when shopping for shoes and hoping you get the right pair.

Depending upon when the AR15 was made, and depending upon the manufacturer rifling and even barrel length can vary.

Among the plethora of numbers found in AR-15 spec sheets is a figure called “twist rate,” denoted typically by a pair of numbers in a ratio, such as 1:7. Twist rate is the ratio of inches of bullet travel down the barrel needed to rotate the projectile one full turn. In this case, the bullet makes one full rotation every seven inches. Technically the more lans and groves ( Rifling ) the better when considering the effects and damage done to your intended target! So it’s very important to know the rifling of the barrel on the AR15 you own and 90 percent of AR15 owners have no idea. The charts below e plain this in detail and explain the grain of the bullet based upon rifling to get the most effective killing effects of the individual AR15 that someone owns, however in reality this is Greek to most AR15 enters.

94F097AE-2BEB-4B04-BE9A-3A7046274793.jpeg.300fe7c310c4c8eaf299ec4b593b3b6a.jpeg

2DA22D8F-3EB0-44BA-A847-A14492A3068C.thumb.jpeg.20a77ee1aecffa6b5ac136e21b6030f7.jpeg
Eugene Stoner’s earliest AR-15 variants employed a slow 1:14 twist rate, which was best suited for extremely light projectiles including 45- to 52-grain bullets. These barrels are very uncommon today, with the 1:12 barrel found on Colt’s early AR-15 models typically the slowest twist rate found available. 

The 1:12 is perfect for lightweight 55-grain bullets, which constitute the majority of practice and plinking .223 ammunition. However, most modern carbine barrels shorter than 20 inches feature faster twist rates, so shooters wanting a 1:12 should stick to the old-school 20-inch rifle pipe. Most modern AR-15 barrels will come in three twist rates: 1:9, 1:8, and 1:7. The 1:9 barrel is best for stabilizing lighter and mid-weight bullets between 45 and 77 grains

In most cases, but certainly not all the AR15 will have the rifling stamped on the exterior of the barrel this will depend upon the manufacturer and the over quality of the weapon produced.

D50728B5-5C31-42AB-B201-8BE5550EEA91.jpeg.c6eaa058cf05cf14128d6cecd2bd514f.jpegD50728B5-5C31-42AB-B201-8BE5550EEA91.jpeg.c6eaa058cf05cf14128d6cecd2bd514f.jpeg

AR-15 barrels will have the specifications stamped or engraved somewhere on the barrel, like these Windham Weaponry models. (Photo courtesy/Windham Weaponry)

The 1:8 twist barrel is the most versatile of the bunch, the perfect option for16-inch carbine AR-15 (the most common configuration on the market.) Keith Wood of Guns and Ammo said this barrel can “comfortably stabilize” up to an 80-grain projectile while still providing enough flexibility for shooters to use lighter ammo for matches like 3-Gun.

Lastly, the 1:7 twist barrel is the “mil-spec” choice, as the U.S. military adopted this setup in the 1980s for its M16A2 rifle running a 62-grain M855 5.56 round. The 1:7 barrel, found in the M4, M16A4, Mk12 SPR and HK416, can stabilize up to a 90-grain bullet, and handles 70- to 77-grain projectiles across a wide spectrum of velocities. However, shooters will likely notice a serious deterioration of performance trying to run lighter 55-grain ammo through longer 1:7 barrels, as the light projectile becomes over-stabilized.

Well Gun sorry this is all I have time for, sorry my friend maybe we can lick this up later!

Take care my friend!!:tu:

Well thanks for all that effort in explaining all the tech stuff, and it's true, but unfortunately I gotta say your wrong when it comes to using those semi-auto rifles for hunting. For farmers, I've killed more than my fair share of feral pigs with my MAK-90, and a hunting buddy of mine had a AR-15 semi-auto rifle and he did quite well killing feral pigs, a deer or two, elk with his. I use to have SKS, but hardly ever use it except for targ practice, anyway I loaned it out to my son-in-law a couple years ago. Since then he's killed about 6 doe and 3 bucks using that rifle. Sayz it's the best rifle he's ever used for hunting, so I let him keep it sort of as a late wedding present. Lol.

Anyway, figured you made a mistake and you meant fully automatic versions since you said  "because you can’t use them for hunting". I knew you would be right on about that if you meant fully auto. Fully automatic is like using a jackhammer and sucks as all get out. Lol. A hunter would hit more trees and dirt before they ever got the animal they were hunting after. But since your not and you meant what you said, I disagree, bro, and my experience using semi-auto rifles to hunt begs to differ. And like I said before, that's for damn sure when it comes to feral pigs.

Edited by Gunn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

You actually right, I own more than 30 hand guns. Rifles, one sniper rifle, and 6 assault rifles (AR 10, 2 Ar 15, 2 AK 47 - AKM , 1 SKS ) and I also load my own Ammunition! But, even with that said, Assault Rifles have one purpose and that is to kill people,  because you can’t use them for hunting the Barrel lans and groves create to much spin, except my sniper rifles and that’s 50 cal it’s not good for hunting  either because it makes too much of a mess  ( Barrel Twists )!:yes:  

How many of those can you fire at any given time?

Doug

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gunn said:

Well thanks for all that effort in explaining all the tech stuff, and it's true, but unfortunately I gotta say your wrong when it comes to using those semi-auto rifles for hunting. For farmers, I've killed more than my fair share of feral pigs with my MAK-90, and a hunting buddy of mine had a AR-15 semi-auto rifle and he did quite well killing feral pigs, a deer or two, elk with his

Well we will have to agree to disagree on the subject because using  .223 or 5.56 mm ammunition is in my opinion irresponsible ( i found a deer years back that had been with either a 22 or a 223 mm, the dam was alive but it’s hip was totally infected looked Gangrene,so I used my 44 mag and stopped it’s suffering!  But in reality .223 caliber can only be used on a state by state basis in some states it’s totally illegal: Some states where its illegal to use  an AR-15 rifle. Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Washington, and West Virginia require larger bullets to be used to hunt game. However, these laws are often changing, so it’s a good idea to check with your state to see if hunting with a .223 / 5.56mm is legal. In addition other states if you hunt Deer or Elk using this ammunition the maximum distance you are legally allowed to fire  at either of these Animal is 300 yards.

For Bear, Elk and Deer, I use a M1903A1 Sniper Rifle Chambered for 30:06 with a Warner and Swasey 1908 a 6 power magnification adjustable original Scope. in the 1980s there was a Army Surplus sale, so I went to check it out on base at the logistics center. Well they actioning off the M1903A1 and they actioning off the original Scopes, each lot had 3 rifles and 3 Scopes, but best of all they brand new still wrapped up and packed in Cosmoline, with is a thick type of waxy grease substance! Well, I won a lot, for $200,  I ended up selling  the other rifles and one of the scopes, which fully paid for mine and both scopes!  Now, it’s claimed that 1000 meter is the maximum effective range, however 1500 meters is my maximum effective range and I have dropped an Elk at approximately 1300 meters with a single shot.

Actully there is no difference between a AR15 and a fully automatic M16a1 the M16A1 is used in Semi-Automatic selector position! So it really difference, unless you hunt Deer in Full Automatica model no that would ignorant, because you would need to be very close and it would just tear the animal up.

Ok dude, take care hope you and your family are well!:tu:

2 hours ago, Gunn said:

. I use to have SKS, but hardly ever use it except for targ practice, anyway I loaned it out to my son-in-law a couple years ago. Since then he's killed about 6 doe and 3 bucks using that rifle. Sayz it's the best rifle he's ever used for hunting, so I let him keep it sort of as a late wedding present. Lol.

Anyway, figured you made a mistake and you meant fully automatic versions since you said  "because you can’t use them for hunting". I knew you would be right on about that if you meant fully auto. Fully automatic is like using a jackhammer and sucks as all get out. Lol. A hunter would hit more trees and dirt before they ever got the animal they were hunting after. But since your not and you meant what you said, I disagree, bro, and my experience using semi-auto rifles to hunt begs to differ. And like I said before, that's for damn sure when it comes to feral pigs.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well we will have to agree to disagree on the subject because using  .223 or 5.56 mm ammunition is in my opinion irresponsible ( i found a deer years back that had been with either a 22 or a 223 mm, the dam was alive but it’s hip was totally infected looked Gangrene,so I used my 44 mag and stopped it’s suffering!  But in reality .223 caliber can only be used on a state by state basis in some states it’s totally illegal: Some states where its illegal to use  an AR-15 rifle. Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Virginia, Ohio, New Jersey, Washington, and West Virginia require larger bullets to be used to hunt game. However, these laws are often changing, so it’s a good idea to check with your state to see if hunting with a .223 / 5.56mm is legal. In addition other states if you hunt Deer or Elk using this ammunition the maximum distance you are legally allowed to fire  at either of these Animal is 300 yards.

For Bear, Elk and Deer, I use a M1903A1 Sniper Rifle Chambered for 30:06 with a Warner and Swasey 1908 a 6 power magnification adjustable original Scope. in the 1980s there was a Army Surplus sale, so I went to check it out on base at the logistics center. Well they actioning off the M1903A1 and they actioning off the original Scopes, each lot had 3 rifles and 3 Scopes, but best of all they brand new still wrapped up and packed in Cosmoline, with is a thick type of waxy grease substance! Well, I won a lot, for $200,  I ended up selling  the other rifles and one of the scopes, which fully paid for mine and both scopes!  Now, it’s claimed that 1000 meter is the maximum effective range, however 1500 meters is my maximum effective range and I have dropped an Elk at approximately 1300 meters with a single shot.

Actully there is no difference between a AR15 and a fully automatic M16a1 the M16A1 is used in Semi-Automatic selector position! So it really difference, unless you hunt Deer in Full Automatica model no that would ignorant, because you would need to be very close and it would just tear the animal up.

Ok dude, take care hope you and your family are well!:tu:

Naw man, we ain't really talking about using AR-15's to hunt deer. I knew all that and most hunters use 30-30's or 243's for hunting deer. And we ain't talking about how some semi-automatics are illegal in states like California, New York, Vermont,etc. All that is irrelevant to the conversation we are having here. What we are talking about here, is how hunters use all those caliber range of weapons for hunting in general and specifics. The AR-15 is used mostly for hunting feral pigs. Feral pigs have been a destructive nuisance to farmers for last 3 decades now, and hunters like myself have been using them to eradicate feral pigs. They're excellent hunting rifles for that.

Here's a couple of vids to show what I'm talking about. One is an old CNN interview with owner of Hog Swat and he uses AR-15's. The other is a recent interview with Wildelife Officials and they recommend using AR-15's for hunting feral pigs. Ignore the political stuff. The point here is they are used for hunting, at least for feral pigs.

Edited by Gunn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

How many of those can you fire at any given time?

Doug

Why do you ask? I can fire them all or one or two and when living in the United State i carry concealed every day for more 30 years.  When I first came to live in Korea I felt Naked without my Walther PP 9mm, it took more than a year to feel like I wasn’t forgetting something! No their stored in private temperature controlled vault that I rent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I felt Naked without my Walther PP 9mm,

I feel the same way without a hat.

I ask because I suspect your collection is mostly not for self-defense.  Do you really need that many to be well-protected?

Doug

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

I ask because I suspect your collection is mostly not for self-defense.  Do you really need that many to be well-protected?

Doug

3 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Fair enough, so why do you think I have so many firearms Doug?

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:38 AM, Manwon Lender said:

How many Weapons do you own?

Why? Seems like an odd question to ask.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Why? Seems like an odd question to ask.

It’s very simple Preacherman, I am a military veteran and I collect weapons like you like you collect Bibles!:D in all honesty I actually have more weapons than that, I  didn’t include everything because I have a number of serviceable  weapons that predate 1900. Last weapons are a great investment that never lose there value, do your Bibles also go up in value?:D

Does that answer your questions? :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Fair enough, so why do you think I have so many firearms Doug?

A collection?

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

It’s very simple Preacherman, I am a military veteran and I collect weapons like you like you collect Bibles!:D in all honesty I actually have more weapons than that, I  didn’t include everything because I have a number of serviceable  weapons that predate 1900. Last weapons are a great investment that never lose there value, do your Bibles also go up in value?:D

My nephew inherited my gg-grandfather's musket.  It's a Tower Smiths made in England for the War of 1812 and later sold to the Union.  Still has the Tower Smiths seal and G R (George Rex) on the lock.  It was made as a flintlock, but changed to a cap lock.  The nipple is badly corroded and somebody cut away the stock.  My dad used to fire powder charges in it and I have fired caps.  I think it would be dangerous to fire it with a real charge in it now.  Best use:  hanging on the mantel.

I have thought about buying a replica 1880s Sharps and learning to shoot it.  But money.  A friend has a pair of replica Colt Peacemakers; he puts on shows with.  His name is Jim Dunham in case you may have heard of him.  He used to be a firearms consultant for Hollywood.  You know the opening scene where Matt Dillon shoots a guy while pointing the gun up in the air?  That's Hollywood and one of his.  He consulted on the Outlaw Josey Wales by teaching Clint Eastwood the Border Switch and Road Agent Spin.

Doug

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

A collection?

Doug

Yes Doug I collect weapons, Guns, Rifles, and even Combat fighting Knives. Military and Civilian weapons are a great investment, I have approximately  $20,000 invested in my collection and its worth more $90,000 today. In addition I load all my own ammunition, so along with my collection I have thousand and thousands of rounds of ammunition and reloading supplies.

Does that answer you question my friend?:tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Yes Doug I collect weapons, Guns, Rifles, and even Combat fighting Knives. Military and Civilian weapons are a great investment, I have approximately  $20,000 invested in my collection and its worth more $90,000 today. In addition I load all my own ammunition, so along with my collection I have thousand and thousands of rounds of ammunition and reloading supplies.

Does that answer you question my friend?:tu:

Yes.  Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.  It has been a long day.

Doug

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

My nephew inherited my gg-grandfather's musket.  It's a Tower Smiths made in England for the War of 1812 and later sold to the Union.  Still has the Tower Smiths seal and G R (George Rex) on the lock.  It was made as a flintlock, but changed to a cap lock.  The nipple is badly corroded and somebody cut away the stock.  My dad used to fire powder charges in it and I have fired caps.  I think it would be dangerous to fire it with a real charge in it now.  Best use:  hanging on the mantel

I suspect the Musket could be repaired and made safe for firing again, that is one of the things I do is buy antique weapons and purchase original parts and repair them. If the original parts cant be found in some cases I reproduce them myself. I have a small Machine Shop that includes a 1940s South Bend Metal Lathe, a Cross Fire XR CNC Plasma cutting Machine along with to much other equipment list.

However, currently since I am living in South Korea all my Weapons and equipment are in a very secure, temperature controlled storage Vault in Washington State, if that were not the case I may have been able to help. However, here is a company I have purchased antique parts from that I would recommend, Peter Dyson and Son Ltd of Huddersfield - Specialists in the repair and restoration of Antique, Vintage and modern weapons: Peter Dyson Gunsmiths, gun repair, gun restoration, antique guns, spare parts for guns

Thake Care Doug!:tu:

29 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I have thought about buying a replica 1880s Sharps and learning to shoot it.  But money.  A friend has a pair of replica Colt Peacemakers; he puts on shows with.  His name is Jim Dunham in case you may have heard of him.  He used to be a firearms consultant for Hollywood.  You know the opening scene where Matt Dillon shoots a guy while pointing the gun up in the air?  That's Hollywood and one of his.  He consulted on the Outlaw Josey Wales by teaching Clint Eastwood the Border Switch and Road Agent Spin.

Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Yes.  Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.  It has been a long day.

Doug

No problem Doug, I am also a little slow on the uptake no harm no foul my :tu:!!

19 hours ago, Gunn said:

Naw man, we ain't really talking about using AR-15's to hunt deer. I knew all that and most hunters use 30-30's or 243's for hunting deer. And we ain't talking about how some semi-automatics are illegal in states like California, New York, Vermont,etc. All that is irrelevant to the conversation we are having here. What we are talking about here, is how hunters use all those caliber range of weapons for hunting in general and specifics”

Guns, I respect you, but please don’t act Unaware of what do with their toys. I am very well versed in Military Weapons, I load all my own ammunition, and I have all the equipment Lathe, CNC Plasma Cutter, asking with everything I need to make parts for my weapons if I am unable to a part I may need. The weapons I listed are actually only a small number of my collection, don’t know if you realize this but any weapon made before 1900 still doesn’t need to register in the United States, I know this because I also have a Federal Firearms License.

I didn’t want to mention this on this forum, because the Gun Control members will freak out because some of the previous weapons I mentioned are fully automatic and I didn’t want but what the hell I am use to confrontation my friend. I have had  FFL License since the 1990s, I bought and sold firearms stating in 2003 when I retired from the US Army. So the weapons I mentioned are only drop in the buck came. To be honest I have 6 fully automatic weapons ( Known for sale, I have never sold a fully automatic weapon and I never will. The fully automatic weapons I have  are part of my personal collection Only ) the only Guns I have ever sold were hand guns, no rifles except rifles made before 1900. Since I went this far I will also tell you that I also own a  Barrett M107A1, with 10 round magazine and a  29 Inch Barrel. This is my baby this little girl is great I would bever ever sell this weapon, never. 

19 hours ago, Gunn said:

The AR-15 is used mostly for hunting feral pigs. Feral pigs have been a destructive nuisance to farmers for last 3 decades now, and hunters like myself have been using them to eradicate feral pigs. They're excellent hunting rifles for that

Yes that very true, ferrule Pigs are bad thing all the way around Missouri, a where I was born use to have bounty in the,! I use to hunt them  also along the Missouri River just  a few miles from the house I grew up in St. Charles, Missouri. There was Bounty on them and there was limit because they were and still considered a invasive species, while I used a scoped Winchester 308 Bolt Action to hunt them. I agree an AR15 would be  perfect for Varmint Hunting of any Barrett M107A1 10 RD 50 BMG 29" Riflekind, and your right Ferrule Pigs perfect!

Here are the two best civilian model M4 Colt and the AR15 Armalite 

Armalite  - https://www.shopmyexchange.com/armalite-m-15-light-tactical-carbine-556nato-16-in-barrel-30-rds-rifle-black/8586206

Colt - https://www.shopmyexchange.com/colt-m4-carbine-5-56-nato-16-in-barrel-30-rnd-rifle-black/2511400

Don’t know how much you knowledge you have about weapons in General! But, most people donr know this but the Armalite Company actually built abd designed what was originally know as a Armalite as the AR10. They tries to win a government contact in the late 1950s, they lost and had to sell their design for the AR10 to Colt who  add  a few slight mod’s and then perfected the Colt M16, the rest is history Which the US Army bought immediately!

History of the Armalite AR 10, such was chambered for 308 and 5,56 https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2017/4/a-brief-history-of-the-ar10-the-ar15s-big-brother/

19 hours ago, Gunn said:

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I have more guns than I do bibles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Guns, I respect you, but please don’t act Unaware of what do with their toys.

Hey, you're not as think as I drunk you are? Right? Lol. Naw man I'm just messing with ya. I know you're taking prescribed meds these days for the extreme pain you go through and you can't help that. Hey bro, the feeling is mutual when it comes to respect for ya. I just needed to correct a little technical mistake (we'll call it) you made with the "because you can’t use them for hunting" comment in your post about semi-autos. That's all. The UM community needed know that wasn't correct. So no hard feelings, okay buddy? Besides, you hit the nail on the head with all of the other technical stuff and I'm not disputing any of that. Hell, I even learned a few things from ya.

Take care man. Get to feeling better. Think good thoughts, bro.

• Thanks 1