Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US House passes assault weapons ban amid Republican pushback

Grim Reaper 6

On 8/4/2022 at 8:46 PM, preacherman76 said:

Anyhow no way this makes it through the process. In fact I highly doubt if it did have a chance that they would have even introduced the bill. This is about political points. 

As for me, they can take my AR, and several semi automatics from my cold dead hands. And yea I know, come that day that’s exactly what they will do, but I didn’t bring the war to them, they would have brought it to me. In no way will I be part of the generation that lets the second amendment die without a fight. 

Sounds more like you are brainwashed. Everything, and I do mean everything can be improved. That you don't even want to consider a better place is very closed minded.

The cold dead hands line is pretty cringeworthy these days. Haven't the gun nuts come up with something better yet? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Then you haven’t tried looking.

I'm just going off the posts I've seen. I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than spend time reading your posting history. 

20 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Wrong again.  The Republican party does not have all the answers to our problems, it’s just that the Democrat party is the cause of all our problems.  Right now, the Left is the existential danger to this nation.  But it seems that we are clearing out the Establishment RINOs from the Republican party at the same time.

Republican?

You're a Retrumplican I would think. Any Republican that shows the common sense to distance themselves from Trump is a RINO according you you isn't it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

The cold dead hands line is pretty cringeworthy these days. Haven't the gun nuts come up with something better yet? 

The best alternative Chuck Heston line we have is -

53D6CA31-3CA4-402C-B1D9-F98F7B32CCD6.jpeg.fa3d020be3fa0f09b7423550d628ac5b.jpeg

Some other contenders -

DA06AEAE-B645-402E-8770-E2DE701F730A.jpeg.091ed3fe2fee4d9fcf25b8d8a75f0bfa.jpeg

B2108447-0749-4703-BEFA-A0A0EA0C7651.jpeg.f3ec9c9d2ed74f88e71452877ce53a9d.jpeg

488EEC17-0EC9-4F0B-80EC-E36016866E13.jpeg.910b04ed970fea59b7a3997f2625e4ee.jpeg

Edited by el midgetron

2 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

The best alternative Chuck Heston line we have is -

53D6CA31-3CA4-402C-B1D9-F98F7B32CCD6.jpeg.fa3d020be3fa0f09b7423550d628ac5b.jpeg

Some other contenders -

DA06AEAE-B645-402E-8770-E2DE701F730A.jpeg.091ed3fe2fee4d9fcf25b8d8a75f0bfa.jpeg

B2108447-0749-4703-BEFA-A0A0EA0C7651.jpeg.f3ec9c9d2ed74f88e71452877ce53a9d.jpeg

488EEC17-0EC9-4F0B-80EC-E36016866E13.jpeg.910b04ed970fea59b7a3997f2625e4ee.jpeg

Meh. :sleepy:

The right can't meme..

IMG_20210330_220351.jpeg.1fad12390c357c6945d7cc969934de57.jpeg

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Meh. :sleepy:

The right can't meme..

IMG_20210330_220351.jpeg.1fad12390c357c6945d7cc969934de57.jpeg

The left, always hyper focused on what’s in people’s underpants, 

Edited by el midgetron
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

He died doing what he loved.  His gun, the hand clutching it and his grimaced countenance would be his legacy to the world when he indeed turned cold.

Picture-22.png

They took his rifle without protest. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

The left, always hyper focused on what’s in people’s underpants, 

Nah, just trying to keep your prying eyes out of them. 

You should talk to someone about that.

Ya still can't meme. Owned!!!!!!!! :w00t: :lol:

Edited by psyche101

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Sounds more like you are brainwashed. Everything, and I do mean everything can be improved. That you don't even want to consider a better place is very closed minded.

You are welcome to your opinion psyche. And at times I do value things you have to say, even when I don’t agree. On this one however, I don’t care what you think. Not even a little. 

Nothing in Human nature has changed. The reasons for having the second amendment haven’t changed. Heck there maybe some alive here on these very boards that watched their parents, grandparents, or siblings get walked into a gas chamber. Forget that, and if you think you have an opinion that will change my mind, forget you. 

BTW how could I consider a better place where guns aren’t needed? Over the past few years I’ve watched the new Hitler youth rise to power. When you have a large portion of people who believe political opinions, or really any opposing opinions are literal violence against them, and therefore think all opposing opinions must be destroyed, you know full well ****s about to hit the fan. 

• Like 2

The message has been as clear as can be. Folks like myself and many others are no longer welcome. You have a whole generation of good kids being destroyed because it’s drilled into them since kindergarten that they are oppressors, and shouldn’t even express an opinion. Like what the hell are they supposed to do with that? Historically speaking these are clear signs that one day many of us will have to defend our lives. 

Well we are going to do better than that. And even if evil wins the day, at least we die on our feet instead of on our knees. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

The message has been as clear as can be. Folks like myself and many others are no longer welcome. You have a whole generation of good kids being destroyed because it’s drilled into them since kindergarten that they are oppressors, and shouldn’t even express an opinion. Like what the hell are they supposed to do with that? Historically speaking these are clear signs that one day many of us will have to defend our lives. 

Well we are going to do better than that. And even if evil wins the day, at least we die on our feet instead of on our knees. 

Now imagine someone from ISIS saying exactly the same thing you just said.

(Since you've already invoked Hitler.  We may as well create a giant rift with Godwin's Law)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

(Since you've already invoked Hitler.  We may as well create a giant rift with Godwin's Law)

I just don’t see it. I never speak to people as though they shouldn’t exist. As though just the act of being born is a offense to the planet. Nor do I see like minded people say or even feel the same. 

You never see conservatives gather into mobs and do all they can to take away someone’s ability to feed their children. Or violently attack people who are just trying to hear someone speak on a collage campus. There is no respect for even basic freedoms with many on the radical left. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I just don’t see it. I never speak to people as though they shouldn’t exist. As though just the act of being born is a offense to the planet. Nor do I see like minded people say or even feel the same. 

You never see conservatives gather into mobs and do all they can to take away someone’s ability to feed their children. Or violently attack people who are just trying to hear someone speak on a collage campus. There is no respect for even basic freedoms with many on the radical left. 

Now that you mention it, I don't speak to people as thought shouldn't exist either.  I don't usually espouse that this attribute as virtue.  It's essentially the expected bare minimum in behaviour.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

You are welcome to your opinion psyche. And at times I do value things you have to say, even when I don’t agree. On this one however, I don’t care what you think. Not even a little. 

I wouldn't expect you to change you're opinion. You appear very set in your ways. The fact that you don't care what I think to me appears to me as you don't really care what anyone thinks. I don't think anything would change your mind regardless of merit. 

Nothing in Human nature has changed. The reasons for having the second amendment haven’t changed.

Yes it has. Warfare has changed, weapons have changed. Other countries have a track record to illustrate things can and do change for the better. Whilst you insist things have not changed your schools have become unsafe. Your second hand market is supplying criminals. 

Heck there maybe some alive here on these very boards that watched their parents, grandparents, or siblings get walked into a gas chamber. Forget that, and if you think you have an opinion that will change my mind, forget you. 

Would Hitler have just used a weapon of mass destruction if he had them? I'd say he most likely would have. Will Putin? Maybe. Is that the same? No. 

You honestly think that enemies of your country or the western way if life in general haven't studied history? You really think that gives you a one up if you consider that? Do you really think someone would deploy the same tactics with nefarious purposes knowing where previous attempts failed and repeat them? 

BTW how could I consider a better place where guns aren’t needed?

There are working examples.

Over the past few years I’ve watched the new Hitler youth rise to power. When you have a large portion of people who believe political opinions, or really any opposing opinions are literal violence against them, and therefore think all opposing opinions must be destroyed, you know full well ****s about to hit the fan. 

Because you're unable and unwilling to strive for more. You're actually surprised? Gun culture is an us vs them mentality. Shoot it out. What do you think that's going to result in when you're taught to prep for some imaginary war all your life? People are going to be on edge. 

Is it the youths that are really the problem or the family units? What draws these young people in? Why aren't their families and communities providing them with stimulating outlooks instead of allowing a spiral into darkness? Have you considered trying to look at the root cause instead of shooting at it? Why are so many people so angry. What you're doing clearly isn't working. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

No, I don't think that's right. We wouldn't even know about extreme thoughts in teaching unless there was opposition, so there's that. 

Isn't this an educational problem? If you feel the wrong message is being taught shouldn't you go to the department (I assume you have some such thing) of education and discuss the issue? Your local member of government? Make sure accurate history is taught? What do about other lessons? Math, science, english? Are they tainted and how do they factor into the big picture? 

Because correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you saying that you feel there's a problem, but it's too hard to deal with right now, so let it fester and then "cleanse" the population when it reaches a certain point? 

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

And who exactly does that help and how? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Now that you mention it, I don't speak to people as thought shouldn't exist either.  I don't usually espouse that this attribute as virtue.  It's essentially the expected bare minimum in behaviour.

I know you don’t G

I’m finally back to work psyche. So I gotta get some stuff done. I’ll hit cha back up later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

I think it’s more telling that you equate people who advocate for the ability to defend themselves to terrorists. If anything, your comment just supports Preacherman’s point that you were responding to.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 11:49 PM, el midgetron said:

I think it’s more telling that you equate people who advocate for the ability to defend themselves to terrorists. If anything, your comment just supports Preacherman’s point that you were responding to.

It's no more telling than your blinkered focus on one sentence, while ignoring the demagoguery sowing disenfranchisement and victimhood - as well as preaching the myth ability to fight the law is nothing compared to the ambition for a violent death in the name of a delusion.

Terrorism of Kool-Aid you can choose whichever word you like; but, when we've heard that message in past it has always been uttered by extremists.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

It's no more telling than your blinkered focus on one sentence, while ignoring the demagoguery sowing disenfranchisement and victimhood - as well as preaching the myth ability to fight the law is nothing compared to the ambition for a violent death in the name of a delusion.

Terrorism of Kool-Aid you can choose whichever word you like; but, when we've heard that message in past it has always been uttered by extremists.

Exactly. Listen to yourself. It decisively proves Preacherman’s point.

I mean, he said society makes us “unwelcome” and that one day we will have to defend ourselves from a society that is hostile towards us and you respond by calling us “terrorists”? Yep, that’s what he’s talking about. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

I mean, he said society makes us “unwelcome” and that one day we will have to defend ourselves from a society that is hostile towards us and you respond by calling us “terrorists”? Yep, that’s what he’s talking about. 

It's the same message we heard from ISIS and their recruits.  I'm sure he didn't care for the message then and had no stomach for appeasement.

He's reached the last line of Martin Niemoller's Poem.

FWIW, and it isn't much, but the little condiment of ignoring "Give to Caesar, what belongs to Caesar" brings out the flavour of irony nicely. 

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

So the response isn't to find compromise or talk about the disparities but shoot it out? 

You think that's the only choice available to you? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

It's the same message we heard from ISIS. 

No, it’s not the same message. Isis attacked outsiders, non-Muslims under their interpretation of the Koran. Isis also attacked Muslims unfaithful to Isis’s extremist Islamic doctrine. That is vastly different that ones own society persecuting  someone as an accused terrorist and their need to defend defend themselves from persecution of that society. 

You believing people who support the second amendment are terrorists, is more akin to Isis’s external world view and justification of murder. Conflating waging war in a foreign land and the active persecution of ones fellow countrymen, with people who advocate for their right to defend themselves is not accurate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

So the response isn't to find compromise or talk about the disparities but shoot it out? 

You think that's the only choice available to you? 

No one said that. If you want to pile on and accuse me of being a terrorist, then explain mushy I shouldn’t take that as a threat. Are you cool with terrorist or are they something that society needs to deal with? What does that dealing with look like?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

No one said that.

What other options are either of you offering?

I've not seen any.

If you want to pile on and accuse me of being a terrorist, then explain mushy I shouldn’t take that as a threat.

I didn't accuse you of anything, I asked a question. 

Are you cool with terrorist or are they something that society needs to deal with?

I haven't indicated that I'm cool with terrorists. I can't see how you would come to that conclusion from what I posted. Perhaps you could expand on that? 

What does that dealing with look like?

Depends on the situations doesn't it? 

If dealing with religious terrorism, education would be beneficial. Enough education to understand that god isn't real. Therefore rather stupid to die for.

Domestics are being dealt with in court, as we are seeing currently as per the Jan Sixth hearing. 

Edited by psyche101

4 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

No, it’s not the same message. Isis attacked outsiders, non-Muslims under their interpretation of the Koran. Isis also attacked Muslims unfaithful to Isis’s extremist Islamic doctrine. That is vastly different that ones own society persecuting  someone as an accused terrorist and their need to defend defend themselves from persecution of that society. 

You believing people who support the second amendment are terrorists, is more akin to Isis’s external world view and justification of murder. Conflating waging war in a foreign land and the active persecution of ones fellow countrymen, with people who advocate for their right to defend themselves is not accurate.

Recruitment was enabled by a message of disenfranchisement and victimhood.  It is the message that was preached.  And people were seduced to leave their nations for a honourable death.  ISIS is but one example of an organisation recruiting this way.

This thread is about the government passing  a law.  Violence to influence a government is terrorism.

• Like 1