Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astrophobia

Abramelin

I didn't know where to post this, but this subforum seems just right.

I have had repeated nightmares (and also 'daymares'), and still have, about being an astronaut floating slowly but surely towards the dark side of Neptune, and watching that big black massive and huge circle approaching me.

I only have to close my eyes and imagine the scene, and then I know I must stop imagining or else cold sweat will break out, or whatever it is called in Angry-Saxon.

What brought me to post about this? Well, I have a Youtube account, and the YT algorithm somehow knows what next video you could be interested in.

So, I was watching videos about praying mantisses devouring hummingbirds, and then this video showed up for me to click on:

It featured Neptune quite a couple of times.

:cry:

I sort of expect a 'Jungian' psycho-analysis by some of you (and of course about my mother).

And that is ok.

Ok, shoot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I can watch horror movies, ghost movies, paranormal movies, war movies without any problem.  But movies like "Gravity" scare the sh!t out of me:

Edited to add:

I think it is about being totally helpless without anyone able to save you.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 3

What you think about a movie the Martian, Abe? Imagine being left alone on the Mars like Matt Damon? :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

What you think about a movie the Martian, Abe? Imagine being left alone on the Mars like Matt Damon? :w00t:

Nah, that movie was ok for me.

It's about floating in the dark of space towards the dark side of a huge blueish planet.

Like the night side of Neptune.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Event Horizon? 

No, that movie never bothered me.

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

I think it is about being totally helpless without anyone able to save you.

Seems like you are onto it with this notion.  Your dream scenario about free fall in space is about as potent a symbol for being utterly cut off and helpless as I can imagine.  (shudder)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, if you want some sort of analysis;

1)Neptune as the outermost known planet of the solar system could represent a sort of "Edge of Eternity" where the outermost border of our tiny homesoil ends and the vast nothingness of space opens it gaping maw. That you fall specifically towards the dark side (the one turned away from the sun) could also be because of this. You're facing the "outer darkness" while drifting.  Compare it to those pictures of divers who sit on the edge of those deep, dark abysses in the ocean.
2)Neptune, as an ice giant is a vast, very alien environment where a huge atmosphere blends over into a mantle consisting of a "thick soup" (if I'm not mistaken) so there might be a fear of free falling in an environment where there's no "end" to the sky or the "sea/ocean" here again I'd compare it to being submerged in the open ocean. Sure you'd might be able to tell that the bright area is "up" and the dark area is "down" but you have nothing to hold onto and without help you'll eventually be powerless to prevent a descent into the unknown depths below.

In the end we humans can only exist in this "safe' environment of Earth, so being adrift in an area where that doesn't exist (be it the vacuum of space, or the endless, alien vistas of Neptune) is frightening and makes us acutely aware of the fragility of our bodies. Without anything/one to help or aid, death is a certainty in such a scenario, and it would probably be slow and agonizing.

Just asking, do you have similar night/daymares in relation to an open ocean scenario? (might particularly be associated with Neptune then, since the planet is blue and Neptune is the god of the sea)? 

• Like 2

My father cant watch documentaries about space.. and dont want to talk about it either..
He explains that its so scary that we are so small and insignificant in the universe.. not just us as humans but even our earth...

• Like 3

I say willfully try and experience as many times as you can. Face your fear till it becomes your B***h. Trust, it works.

8 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I didn't know where to post this, but this subforum seems just right.

I have had repeated nightmares (and also 'daymares'), and still have, about being an astronaut floating slowly but surely towards the dark side of Neptune, and watching that big black massive and huge circle approaching me.

I only have to close my eyes and imagine the scene, and thenTraumatic TV Syndrome

What brought me to post about this? Well, I have a Youtube account, and the YT algorithm somehow knows what next video you could be interested in.

So, I was watching videos about praying mantisses devouring hummingbirds, and then this video showed up for me to click on:

It featured Neptune quite a couple of times.

:cry:

I sort of expect a 'Jungian' psycho-analysis by some of you (and of course about my mother).

And that is ok.

Ok, shoot.

Sounds like you have Post Traumatic TV Syndrome ( PTTS ) its actually very similar to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome except its caused by events that are Video, Media, and Tv related. Horrible stuff, I know what it like to get little sleep! For years i have not been able to get more than 4 or 5  hour's of sleep if I am lucky per night because of PTSD!

Sincerely hope you get past this I know it really sucks!:(

• Thanks 1

sounds anxiety based. anything else stand out? colors? images? what were you feeling at the time? anything you’ve been doing, watching, worried about lately that may have triggered this?

i had an anxiety based dream for years and years it was never exactly about the thing i was stressing over. it took me years to figure it out. i was just a kid so i didn’t know.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Just asking, do you have similar night/daymares in relation to an open ocean scenario? (might particularly be associated with Neptune then, since the planet is blue and Neptune is the god of the sea)? 

Almost exactly the same feeling.

11 hours ago, Ell said:

How is your health? Heart? Blood pressure? Pains?

As far as I know my health is ok.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gidgetaldotmatrix said:

sounds anxiety based. anything else stand out? colors? images? what were you feeling at the time? anything you’ve been doing, watching, worried about lately that may have triggered this?

i had an anxiety based dream for years and years it was never exactly about the thing i was stressing over. it took me years to figure it out. i was just a kid so i didn’t know.

Wow great post, and Welcome to the Forum always nice to see new people!

Take care!:tu:

*snip*

Facing fear head on is the best way to overcome      Especially when it comes to dream states. This is something I know a lot about, through experience. I know full well what it’s like to be in full blown terror. To wake up paralyzed and be tormented by shadows. To be tossed around the room like a rag doll by something you can’t even see. To not even want to go to bed because you never know when it’s gonna happen again.

I also know what it’s like to finally face those fears. To meet the dark head on. To watch my tormentor run in fear because of the Lion he brought out in me. 

How one might ask? By doing exactly what I told the op to do. Go there willfully, time and again, till it makes you strong.

Edited by Saru
Removed reference to deleted post

24 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

As far as I know my health is ok.

Honestly I was completely joking in my post to you, Here the deal, if you are losing to muck sleep or if that becomes a problem go see your doctor! When I was first effected by PTSD it was in 1999. One day came home from Ft. Lewis, Washington and I couldn’t see sleep. I figured I be fine WRONG. That night turned into another and another and soon almost 6 days passed and nit slept, and because if that I was starting to hallucinate do to lack of sleep. Make a long story short, I went to the military hospital they amitted me and hooked a IV and I woke up days later, to wires attached to head because they had been doing a brain scan the entire time I was asleep!

Well according to the brain scan the entire time I was out cold the dreams continued and the brain scan proved it. The came in and told me I had PTSD. He has was aware that previously I had a TBI - Traumatic Brain Injury few years earlier in the Middle East. The doctor gave the bad news which was that my PTSD was not treatable because the TBI has damaged a very part of my brain and that’s where which was from the active was coming that was stopping me from sleeping! The entire situation as weird because my last Combat Tour was in Somalia, a December 1993, true November of 1994!

Any how it doesn’t matter how health you are, if you have started having dreams like you describe above whatever is occurring is happening in your Brian. It’s not something to play around with Heres a source you may want read it covers your explanation and it will give a number of possibilities,

Nightmares  and Night-sweets in  Adultshttps://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/nightmares-in-adults

Causes of Nightmares:  https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/ss/slideshow-nightmares-causes

Hope this helps, nit being able to sleep really sucks, it’s very important to see a doctor. Because what we as humans will do, not everyone but some will self medicate with Alcohol of others to sleep that’s mistaken and long term you will pay for!

Peace my Brother.,:tu:

15 hours ago, Abramelin said:

this subforum seems just right.

I only have to close my eyes and imagine the scene, and then I know I must stop imagining or else cold sweat will break out, or whatever it is called in Angry-Saxon.

Ok, shoot.

If your health is okay and no sleep disorders ...

It may be something pertaining to your mind. (Not in a medical sense.)

It might signify in your dream language that awakening is approaching. So a heads up.

It might mean something else.

What to do about it?

Tell yourself every evening before you fall asleep: "In space I am safe." And be confident.

In general it is best not to eat anything during the one or two hours before one goes to bed.

Eating less sweets might also help?

29 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

- post removed -

It’s a dream. It’s the subconscious’s way of bringing something to your attention. Something it wants you to deal with. Something it wants you to explore and overcome. The fact that it’s a repeated dream emphasizes this.  I’ve read all the litterateur. It is you who has no idea what you are talking about, and for some reason feel you have to be a smug ******* about it to boot. 

This is my thing. It’s literally what I do. I’ve helped many on these boards over the years. 

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

It’s a dream. It’s the subconscious’s way of bringing something to your attention. Something it wants you to deal with. Something it wants you to explore and overcome. I’ve read all the litterateur. It is you who has no idea what you are talking about, and for some reason feel you have to be a smug ******* about it to boot. 

This is my thing. It’s literally what I do. I’ve helped many on these boards over the years. 

So your honestly saying your Psychiatrist and this is what professionally do for a living?

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

So your honestly saying your Psychiatrist and this is what professionally do for a living?

No. I’d put my record up against anyone though when it comes to helping people understand and overcoming fear in altered states of consciousness. 

• Like 1

I wonder if these dreams have to do with the fear of falling? Perhaps feeling lost or aimless drifting? Meh, I don't know. 

Could be that the deep black vacuum of space is just scary. We see beautiful images from space telescopes and probes and they are awe inspiring. But just past our safe hazy atmosphere is cold, dead infinite space, where no one can survive. I feel that way about the deep ocean. We have plenty of examples of what death in space looks like in almost every space movie, sci fi series, played out to settle into our psyches.