Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Consciousness may persist after death, study suggests

UM-Bot

26 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

Researchers now believe that consciousness may persist for up to 20 seconds after a person has clinically died.

Just enough time for a 'soul' to leave the body

Photo shows moment 'soul' leaves motorcycle crash victim's body - TomoNews  - YouTube

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

"Researchers NOW believe."     So when is the next NOW arriving to believe there is life after death???   

All you need to know is Eban Alexander.  The best neurosurgeon in the western world who died and had an experience that changed his mind on life after death and what consciousness is.    But I guess the skeptics all have to go through that experience for them to believe it.  I guess it is coming when they die, then won't be able to tell anyone on this plane they were wrong.  :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Old news. But yeah clinically dying and leaving your body and seeing the tunnel of light and your body being attemptedly dumped and purposefully getting back into it definitely does make one feel pretty confident that they exist with or without of thier body. You can experience the same thing with DMT or even during sleep or meditation. I did it on accident once when sleeping. Seemed to be visiting my dad hundreds of miles away when he was sleeping. Just floating around hanging out in his house at night. It ended with sleep paralysis which was terrifying and i strongly suspect has to do with a difficulty rousing yourself while reentering your body. Has anyone else experienced anything like an accidental astral projection that ended with sleep paralysis?
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

ok skeptics let me tell you a true story. when i was 18 my friend and i used to hypnotize eachother and our friends. he told me that he used to self hypnotize himself in some fashion and make himself go on a trip (like remote viewing) so he hypnotized me and made me go to my parents house by flying through the air from one town to the other and fly down into the room where my sister was sleeping. he had me shake her bed to wake her up and i remember doing it like it was a dream. then he made me come back to my body and float above it and then go back in it.

the next morning we were going to work and had to stop at my house to get my uniform when my sister runs out and says
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

what the heck happened i cant even edit it.

• Haha 1

If Consciousness exists after death...why does it need a body at all...ever?   mmmm hmmmm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

NDE isnt being dead "near" isnt dead and any dramatic hallucinations during dying mode is a result of shock trauma, nope thats not at all popular with people who believe its more and makes them special.

I really cant blame believers for holding on tight and i envy the pseudo comfort they seem to receive from it.

The idea that consciousness can during sleep leave the body and go flying off to fun and fancy is make believe for credulous adults, ive invited many believers of it to come visit my home give some specifics about what they saw most cop right out saying it doesnt work that way others will say they will get back to me on it but never do.

Both my mind and door is open for you to present any evidence to support your claims try not to be cross with me because you have none.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:51 AM, joc said:

If Consciousness exists after death...why does it need a body at all...ever?   mmmm hmmmm

For 20 seconds after clinical death. 

Despite the woo posters, it's still saying you die. Just 20 seconds later than was previously expected. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2022 at 11:22 PM, Dreamer screamer said:

"Researchers NOW believe."     So when is the next NOW arriving to believe there is life after death???   

Never. 

There's no such thing. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:22 PM, Dreamer screamer said:

All you need to know is Eban Alexander.  The best neurosurgeon in the western world who died and had an experience that changed his mind on life after death and what consciousness is.    But I guess the skeptics all have to go through that experience for them to believe it.  I guess it is coming when they die, then won't be able to tell anyone on this plane they were wrong.  :lol:

Eben Alexander's  claim is a joke. 

In a serious debate where he had Raymond Moody back him up against Sean Carroll and Steven Novella debated life after death his experience was not very impressive at all. He didn't even actually die. 

Alexander's book is preaching to the choir. 

Why not try Kevin Malarkey too. Same nonsense. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Never. 

There's no such thing. 

Eben Alexander's  claim is a joke. 

In a serious debate where he had Raymond Moody back him up against Sean Carroll and Steven Novella debated life after death his experience was not very impressive at all. He didn't even actually die. 

Alexander's book is preaching to the choir. 

Why not try Kevin Malarkey too. Same nonsense. 

Furthermore...Eben Alexander was in a medically induced coma.  He didn't die.  When are you people going to ever understand that Near death isn't death? 

When you experience a Mental State such as dreaming...you are not out of your body.  Mental States are exactly that...mental...states...i.e. of the brain.  The brain is generating the dreams, hallucinations, whatever is experienced.  It's like saying...the light of a flashlight continues on into infinity...even after the battery is completely drained.  It's silly.  Such is the nonsense of all belief...silliness. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, joc said:

Hello My Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just be clear JOC my username is manwon-lender!!!!!:o:D

All 

On 8/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, joc said:

Did Anne Boleyn really try to speak after being beheaded Did Anne Boleyn really try to speak after being beheaded? (theconversation.com) 

Can a Severed Head Live On?

During the French Revolution, an executioner reportedly held the severed head of Charlotte Corday (who assassinated politician Jean-Paul Marat) aloft and smacked its cheek. Witnesses claimed Corday's eyes looked at the executioner, and an unmistakable expression of disgust came over her face.

More recently, in 1989, an Army veteran told of seeing a friend decapitated in a car crash. According to the story, the severed head showed emotions of shock, followed by terror and grief, its eyes glancing back at its separated body. 

Compelling (and gruesome) as these stories may be, many physicians would call this possibility highly unlikely. At the moment of decapitation, the brain would suffer a massive drop in blood pressure. Rapidly losing blood and oxygen, the brain would likely go into coma, even if death too

youtube - Search (bing.com)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

many physicians would call this possibility highly unlikely.

I think ALL physicians would call this possibility ...  impossible.  Innuendo from centuries ago, or from yesterday afternoon is still innuendo. 

People can say anything they want about anything they want...but the actual reality is not wooful...it's set in stone cold Physics.

16 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Hello My Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just be clear JOC my username is manwon-lender!!!!!:o:D

All 

Did Anne Boleyn really try to speak after being beheaded Did Anne Boleyn really try to speak after being beheaded? (theconversation.com) 

Can a Severed Head Live On?

During the French Revolution, an executioner reportedly held the severed head of Charlotte Corday (who assassinated politician Jean-Paul Marat) aloft and smacked its cheek. Witnesses claimed Corday's eyes looked at the executioner, and an unmistakable expression of disgust came over her face.

More recently, in 1989, an Army veteran told of seeing a friend decapitated in a car crash. According to the story, the severed head showed emotions of shock, followed by terror and grief, its eyes glancing back at its separated body. 

Compelling (and gruesome) as these stories may be, many physicians would call this possibility highly unlikely. At the moment of decapitation, the brain would suffer a massive drop in blood pressure. Rapidly losing blood and oxygen, the brain would likely go into coma, even if death too

youtube - Search (bing.com)

images(43).jpg.5011883c5fb4e1eec53c341b18b179b5.jpg

Pretty morbid stuff for my early AM.

Years back before the net i assumed that a severed head might "live" a few seconds an 80s movie wolfen where the creature snaps the head off the cop and his head gives that look it was still conscience.

As i learned more about the body and brain i understand alive far from means conscience, my friend john rip drank himself to death had a bleeder after they operated he was gone alive but not john he had to be kept alive on tubes his body passed a few weeks later.

I imagine the executioner in your story very well might have slapped a heads face and it might have reacted but that far from means it had any conscience we are talking shock trauma. I believe these stories are the perspective of witness not a head laying there pondering its car crash demise.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, the13bats said:

images(43).jpg.5011883c5fb4e1eec53c341b18b179b5.jpg

Pretty morbid stuff for my early AM.

Years back before the net i assumed that a severed head might "live" a few seconds an 80s movie wolfen where the creature snaps the head off the cop and his head gives that look it was still conscience.

As i learned more about the body and brain i understand alive far from means conscience, my friend john rip drank himself to death had a bleeder after they operated he was gone alive but not john he had to be kept alive on tubes his body passed a few weeks later.

I imagine the executioner in your story very well might have slapped a heads face and it might have reacted but that far from means it had any conscience we are talking shock trauma. I believe these stories are the perspective of witness not a head laying there pondering its car crash demise.

Yea it is some morbid crap Batman,  however it does support the thread. I think I was about 14 years, I was at my  girl friends house. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Anyway her daddy was killing some chickens for our dinner, so I asked him if I could help. Well I copped the chickens head off and some how it slipped out my hand and the dam thing took running without its head. Talk about feeling like fool,  but in the end I had the last laugh, because that chicken was real tasty!:tu: kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkekkkkkkkk iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Yea it is some morbid crap Batman,  however it does support the thread. I think I was about 14 years, I was at my  girl friends house. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Anyway her daddy was killing some chickens for our dinner, so I asked him if I could help. Well I copped the chickens head off and some how it slipped out my hand and the dam thing took running without its head. Talk about feeling like fool,  but in the end I had the last laugh, because that chicken was real tasty!:tu: kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkekkkkkkkk iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Yeah, i guess thats common actually but im off to less darq topics.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Yeah, i guess thats common actually but im off to less darq topics.

No problem Bro have a great night. :tu:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

No problem Bro have a great night. :tu:

Its 8am wed morn here and kia is dropping the ball with the car its gonna be a long craptastic day

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, UM-Bot said:

Researchers now believe that consciousness may persist for up to 20 seconds after a person has clinically died.

Once you find your own proof then your perception of life will never be the same again!

However, you should never stop questioning, but your questions will be different than before your experience.

This kind of experience can't be described in words!

And I am not arrogant enough to even try - not today at least. :lol:  

The only thing I will say today is this - keep an open mind because humanity knows very little - so listen to each other and be a little humble (not too much though) you shouldn't kiss asses because that's a stinky affair. 

But stay open-minded and humble because we will always have a lot to learn.

And admit that we can't be sure about anything when it comes to this topic.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LightAngel said:

And admit that we can't be sure about anything when it comes to this topic.

Only dirty people stink.

I am sadly sure there simply isnt supportive evidence only stories and those who believe the stories at face value.

9 hours ago, LightAngel said:

keep an open mind

I do unlike the ones who claim their opinion can be the only explanation and they cant be wrong , im not that arrogant my door is wide open for evidence not stories or belief from stories so yes i will keep questioning and if presented evidence i will be delighted.

15 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Check out Mike the headless chicken.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken

I heard about him many years back makes me feel creepy sad.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:26 AM, Susanc241 said:

I don�t see why this is a surprise. It takes several minutes for the brain cells to die off due to lack of oxygen so there is bound to be some brain activity for a while after the heart stops beating (when the death doesn�t involve a serious head injury). I would imagine there is even some residual awareness immediately after being beheaded, gruesome as that sounds. Brain cells don�t die the second the heart stops beating or we wouldn�t be able to successfully resuscitate anyone. That�s what I think, anyway.

Lot of cells in the body probably die a way later than 20sec... Sure that we are still brain conscious for 20sec, parasympathetic and sympathetic system are probably running way longer.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:51 PM, joc said:

This is a ride we get on, experiencing life in a human body on planet earth.   Consciousness doesn't need a body.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1