Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Roger Waters slammed for saying he's 'More Important' than Drake


jethrofloyd
 Share

Recommended Posts

Roger Waters is under fire for saying he's "far, far, far more important" than Drake and The Weeknd.

The Pink Floyd frontman shared his opinion with Canada's The Globe and Mail after The Weeknd's Toronto concert received more media coverage than his. "I have no idea what or who The Weeknd is because I don't listen to much music," the 78-year-old told the outlet of the "I Feel It Coming" crooner.

https://www.newsweek.com/roger-waters-slammed-more-important-drake-weeknd-1725408

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roger Waters is one man that knows the score big time.   May his message spread far and wide to open them minds to what is really going on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Roger Waters is one man that knows the score big time. 

He certainly knows his own mirror well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

He certainly knows his own mirror well.

And what is wrong with knowing his own mirror?   As long as you can look yourself in the eye and carry on knowing what you are doing is correct, where's the problem?

He didn't get to that position with self-hatred, it wouldn't work.  

If you get the flack, you are over the target...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Roger Waters is under fire for saying he's "far, far, far more important" than Drake and The Weeknd.

The Pink Floyd frontman shared his opinion with Canada's The Globe and Mail after The Weeknd's Toronto concert received more media coverage than his. "I have no idea what or who The Weeknd is because I don't listen to much music," the 78-year-old told the outlet of the "I Feel It Coming" crooner.

https://www.newsweek.com/roger-waters-slammed-more-important-drake-weeknd-1725408

On the scale of musical influences, he's not wrong though.  Not at this point, at least.... and it'll be a damn sorry day when/if that changes

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't name one Drake song, which doesn't mean anything.  Roger Waters lyrics are some of my favorites though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OverSword said:

I can't name one Drake song, which doesn't mean anything.  Roger Waters lyrics are some of my favorites though.

I can and I'd rather listen to my children cry for hours on end.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HSlim said:

I can and I'd rather listen to my children cry for hours on end.  

I searched for Drake my children cry and nothing.  Got a link to that song?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I searched for Drake my children cry and nothing.  Got a link to that song?

I think you could probably pick any of them and get the same effect

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HSlim said:

I think you could probably pick any of them and get the same effect

Gotcha!!!  Monday morning dense happening here :rolleyes:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't know this, is the Drake a singer of that band Weekend or what...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HSlim said:

On the scale of musical influences, he's not wrong though.  Not at this point, at least.... and it'll be a damn sorry day when/if that changes

I don't think they are on the same scale that Pink Floyd is. PF was my generation and my grandchildren know who they are. The question is...will my grandchildren's grandchildren know who the Weekend and Drake are? The same with Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles. I'm sure this generation will have it's bands that live on but....

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, susieice said:

I don't think they are on the same scale that Pink Floyd is. PF was my generation and my grandchildren know who they are. The question is...will my grandchildren's grandchildren know who the Weekend and Drake are? The same with Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles. I'm sure this generation will have it's bands that live on but....

Exactly, I just don't see The Weeknd and Drake being the musical torchbearers for their generations.  Meanwhile, my kids know Ray Charles, Pink Floyd, BB King, Nirvana ,Zeppelin, Hendrix, Alice in Chains, Metallica.....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dreamer screamer said:

As long as you can look yourself in the eye and carry on knowing what you are doing is correct, where's the problem?

He didn't get to that position with self-hatred, it wouldn't work.  

It's about the opposite of 'self-hatred', it's about ego.  Hell I don't even think he's the most important person in Pink Floyd let alone outside of the rather narrow musical niche of psychedelic/prog rock.  He wrote some fine songs, that's about it, his contributions to bass playing are pretty rudimentary. 

 

1 hour ago, susieice said:

I don't think they are on the same scale that Pink Floyd is. PF was my generation and my grandchildren know who they are. The question is...will my grandchildren's grandchildren know who the Weekend and Drake are? The same with Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles. I'm sure this generation will have it's bands that live on but....

They aren't on the same scale now, they are young and Pink Floyd had decades of output.  I'm totally into the bands you've mentioned as well as PF but Elvis and Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra were all huge also at their time, but I'm not sure their music is really 'living on' that strongly.  I can't relate because I don't listen to any of it, but I believe hip-hop/rap is the most popular musical form there has ever been, I think in both sales and definitely in longevity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, susieice said:

I don't think they are on the same scale that Pink Floyd is. PF was my generation and my grandchildren know who they are. The question is...will my grandchildren's grandchildren know who the Weekend and Drake are? The same with Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles. I'm sure this generation will have it's bands that live on but....

I wouldn't be so sure about that :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I can't relate because I don't listen to any of it, but I believe hip-hop/rap is the most popular musical form there has ever been, I think in both sales and definitely in longevity.

I would say blues. Been around much longer and is still going strong.  Both types have inspired a lot of related sub genres though.  

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

It's about the opposite of 'self-hatred', it's about ego. Hell I don't even think he's the most important person in Pink Floyd let alone outside of the rather narrow musical niche of psychedelic/prog rock.  He wrote some fine songs, that's about it, his contributions to bass playing are pretty rudimentary. 

"Teachers leave our kids alone"  This alone stands the test of time.   His EGO???  When the winds blowing your way, raise the sail and flow in its way.  This is all he is doing.   He knows he has little power, but the power to tell that little oink (mark zuckerberg) to sod off because he wanted to use one of his songs says he knows the score.  

30 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

 

They aren't on the same scale now, they are young and Pink Floyd had decades of output.  I'm totally into the bands you've mentioned as well as PF but Elvis and Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra were all huge also at their time, but I'm not sure their music is really 'living on' that strongly.  I can't relate because I don't listen to any of it, but I believe hip-hop/rap is the most popular musical form there has ever been, I think in both sales and definitely in longevity.

Is this some sort of joke, or are you just brainwashed enough to write that and believe you mean it?? 

Will smith vs roger waters...<_<  tough one....:no: not. 

Eminem..ok hard life and can talk the feathes off a bird, but is it timeless??

will_smith_8.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I would say blues. Been around much longer and is still going strong.  Both types have inspired a lot of related sub genres though.  

Not only does blues still live on in its original form (see Jontavius Willis) but it's also evolved (see JD Simo) and managed to influence almost every single type of modern music in some way. The possible exception being EDM, and I even have an argument there in the form of RL Burnside's "Come On In" record.   I would say that hip hop is the most currently popular music genre sales wise, but DEFINITELY not longevity. 

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, susieice said:

 I'm sure this generation will have it's bands that live on but....

Bands like Coldplay, Porcupine Tree, Muse.....may live on, but I'm not sure about Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Bands like Coldplay, Porcupine Tree, Muse.....may live on, but I'm not sure about Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol etc.

Oh god, Coldplay.  The band that would make ANYONE start their menstrual cycle.  Every song I've heard by them sounds like it could be the backing track for a feminine hygiene product commercial. 

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Dreamer screamer said:

Is this some sort of joke, or are you just brainwashed enough to write that and believe you mean it?? 

Will smith vs roger waters...<_<  tough one....:no: not. 

How about Kendrick Lamar versus Sonny and Cher?  The metric was 'popularity' not 'timelessness'.

 

45 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I would say blues.

The blues are great but I wouldn't be surprised if Beyonce alone outsold the total of all blues artists combined in recent years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

How about Kendrick Lamar versus Sonny and Cher?  The metric was 'popularity' not 'timelessness'.

 

The blues are great but I wouldn't be surprised if Beyonce alone outsold the total of all blues artists combined in recent years.

Blues have never been on the forefront when it comes to sales though.  Hell, BB King had to tour 355 days a year up until the day he died, and it wasn't just because he loved playing.  But, nobody's out there borrowing lines or riffs from Beyonce songs either, at least not on the same scale they are from blues musicians.   

So on the importance level, the blues still take down Queen Bey. 

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

The blues are great but I wouldn't be surprised if Beyonce alone outsold the total of all blues artists combined in recent years.

I'm not so sure about it:

Old songs represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market

Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market, according to the latest numbers from MRC Data, a music-analytics firm.  Those who make a living from new music—especially that endangered species known as the working musician—should look at these figures with fear and trembling.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/old-music-killing-new-music/621339/?

 

We had a thread here:

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I'm not so sure about it:

Old songs represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market

Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market, according to the latest numbers from MRC Data, a music-analytics firm.  Those who make a living from new music—especially that endangered species known as the working musician—should look at these figures with fear and trembling.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/old-music-killing-new-music/621339/?

 

We had a thread here:

 

Which is a damn shame it its own way because we need new music, all genres, even if it's something that's not really our jam.   Streaming apps have done a lot of damage to working musicians. 

Working musician here.  Well, FORMERLY working musician.  

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.