Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Passenger fined $1,874 after two undeclared McMuffins found in luggage

Still Waters

A passenger traveling from Bali, Indonesia to Australia has found themselves paying a hefty price for a McDonald's breakfast.

The unnamed traveler was handed a fine of 2,664 Australian dollars ($1,874) after two undeclared egg and beef sausage McMuffins and a ham croissant were found in their luggage on arriving at Darwin Airport in the country's Northern Territory last week.

The incident came about days after Australian authorities brought in tough new biosecurity rules after a Foot and Mouth disease (FMD) outbreak in Indonesia spread to Bali, a popular destination for Australian tourists.

"This will be the most expensive Maccas meal this passenger ever has," Murray Watt, minister for agriculture, fisheries and forestry, said in a statement.

"This fine is twice the cost of an airfare to Bali, but I have no sympathy for people who choose to disobey Australia's strict biosecurity measures, and recent detections show you will be caught."

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/passenger-fined-after-undeclared-mcmuffins-found-in-luggage/index.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

Oh Good Lord!

• Like 1

This happened to another Aussie recently with half of a Subway footlong.

Idiot!

However, Subway gave them a voucher for the same amount.

Maybe this person is hoping for the same thing from Maccas. I don’t think that Subway giving the voucher was the right thing to do…

$2,664 AUD as well.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/travel-stories/shock-twist-after-womans-2664-subway-fine-at-airport/news-story/7b459b45e8e0a041d6cebd5fdff572db?amp

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Timothy said:

This happened to another Aussie recently with half of a Subway footlong.

Idiot!

However, Subway gave them a voucher for the same amount.

Maybe this person is hoping for the same thing from Maccas. I don’t think that Subway giving the voucher was the right thing to do…

$2,664 AUD as well.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/travel-stories/shock-twist-after-womans-2664-subway-fine-at-airport/news-story/7b459b45e8e0a041d6cebd5fdff572db?amp

What is the problem, they forgot they had the food and didn't declare it?   Are the Aussie  border check getting bonus' for this kind of thing?

• Confused 1

What next, undeclared Fruit of the Looms?

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I remember in the 60's and 70's Arizona had border checks at all their borders with Colorado, New Mexico and California.   They would check people coming in for fruit and vegetables, people going out for cactus and other desert plants.   I am not sure when they stopped that.  

When we went to the grand canyon when I  was a kid we traveled in an old chevy van 4 adults and 4 children.   We backpacked down and walked along the Colorado river then back up.  It was a great trip.  My dad was driving and his goofy friend was sitting up front with him.   There was one back seat at the very back where my mom and her friend sat and in the  middle a mattress with all the kids on it.  When we got to the Arizona border it was about 6 AM and the border guy looked like he had been up all night.  Ahead of us his co-workers had just finished dismantling a car from the east somewhere, the family of four standing there watching them take the seats out etc.   My mom said she figured it would take all day if they decided to dismantle our van.    When they were done dismantling that car they walked away, leaving the family to put it all back together.    The guy who stopped us looked in the van and winced.   Before he could ask anything my dad declared, "We have one old fruit." and pointed to his friend who started laughing.   The guy decided to let us go on without asking any questions or looking any further.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

What is the problem, they forgot they had the food and didn't declare it?   Are the Aussie  border check getting bonus' for this kind of thing?

We’re in the middle of a bio security crisis that at worst will result in billions of dollars of losses and the end of one of the foundation industries in the country. At best, in foot and mouth gets in, prices of meat will rise to levels that the average Aussie family will be unable to afford on a regular basis. 
The simple message is “do not bring meat into the country from overseas, especially Indonesia”. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

We’re in the middle of a bio security crisis that at worst will result in billions of dollars of losses and the end of one of the foundation industries in the country. At best, in foot and mouth gets in, prices of meat will rise to levels that the average Aussie family will be unable to afford on a regular basis. 
The simple message is “do not bring meat into the country from overseas, especially Indonesia”. 

Oh, how strange.   Meat is already at prices people can't afford in the U.S.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Have you got some pointbyou are trying to make?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

Have you got some pointbyou are trying to make?

No, just making a comment.   It boggles my mind that a mcdonalds breakfast sandwich or an half eaten subway sandwich could be classified as bringing meat into the country.   Seems excessively, ridiculously strict.  Now I made a point for you.

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

No, just making a comment.   It boggles my mind that a mcdonalds breakfast sandwich or an half eaten subway sandwich could be classified as bringing meat into the country.   Seems excessively, ridiculously strict.  Now I made a point for you.

And you've demonstrated you have no idea about bio-security nor the role it plays in in protecting the environment and economy. 

Local producers wish to remain in an environment free of FMD and preserve their livelihood.

The fallout from the Varroa Mite is a good lesson.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

And you've demonstrated you have no idea about bio-security nor the role it plays in in protecting the environment and economy. 

Local producers wish to remain in an environment free of FMD and preserve their livelihood.

The fallout from the Varroa Mite is a good lesson.

I have no idea what FMD or Varroa Mite is.    You are right, I have no idea what bio security could have to do with a sandwich.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have no idea what FMD or Varroa Mite is.    You are right, I have no idea what bio security could have to do with a sandwich.

And, you just demonstrated you didn't read the OP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

A short primer on Foot and Mouth Disease.  I knew nothing of it at all because it hasn't been in the U.S. since 1929, apparently:

https://www.meatinstitute.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/53722

This is the reason I felt like the great and powerful OZ was overdoing it again:  

"Does cooking destroy the virus that causes FMD? Cooking meat will destroy the virus that causes FMD. That is why some cooked products from countries with FMD are permitt ed in the U.S. It is important to understand that cooking helps control the spread of the disease from meat to livestock. But it does not “protect” humans from the disease since, except under extreme circumstances, humans cannot get the disease."

I guess they're going the "full lockdown route" again.  Taking no chances that a sammich topping might be undercooked.  I wonder if they are as strict with sanitizing every pair of shoes in the luggage as well as demanding that hands be washed with soap and water or alcohol gel before leaving the airport?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, and then said:

A short primer on Foot and Mouth Disease.  I knew nothing of it at all because it hasn't been in the U.S. since 1929, apparently:

This is the reason I felt like the great and powerful OZ was overdoing it again:  

"Does cooking destroy the virus that causes FMD? Cooking meat will destroy the virus that causes FMD. That is why some cooked products from countries with FMD are permitt ed in the U.S. It is important to understand that cooking helps control the spread of the disease from meat to livestock. But it does not “protect” humans from the disease since, except under extreme circumstances, humans cannot get the disease."

I guess they're going the "full lockdown route" again.  Taking no chances that a sammich topping might be undercooked.  I wonder if they are as strict with sanitizing every pair of shoes in the luggage as well as demanding that hands be washed with soap and water or alcohol gel before leaving the airport?  

What was the disease in the 90's that caused so much problems in the west?  I thought that was hoof and mouth disease.    I remember all the horse related events were canceled or limited to local animals, no one was allowed to transport horses or cattle across state lines.   Also some ranchers had to kill all their cattle.   

20 minutes ago, and then said:

I wonder if they are as strict with sanitizing every pair of shoes in the luggage 

You're probably being sarcastic but that's more or less true. Australia and New Zealand take biosecurity very seriously.

There are good reasons for this and it's not exclusively about foot and mouth disease. Especially in New Zealand. Island ecosystems don't do very well against invasive species.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

You're probably being sarcastic but that's more or less true. Australia and New Zealand take biosecurity very seriously.

There are good reasons for this and it's not exclusively about foot and mouth disease. Especially in New Zealand. Island ecosystems don't do very well against invasive species.

Desert ecosystems don't either but a lot of people have moved to the desert (NM & Arizona) and brought invasive plants like bermuda grass and elm trees so that they can change the environment to be like it was where they came from.  I wish they would all go back where they came from.   The climate has even changed from the 50 years of people watering their lawns that should not even exist.   Now there is water shortages and valley fever (a fungus disease from the area of Scottsdale), and Arizona has some other bad fungal problems from over watering or trying to keep non desert plants alive.    

Once in the 90's I used to go to a sweat lodge and one time I found that there were only 2 of the 15 women in the group that were from the area.   When the women got their turn to say their prayers most of them were asking for relief from the drought.  It was April and we had already had 11 inches of rain, which is usually our average annual rain fall.   The other woman from the area and I kept looking at each other wondering what drought they were talking about.  When it was my turn my prayer was that everyone learn to accept and adapt to the environment that they find themselves in.   Afterwards when we were eating I asked what drought everyone was praying for, thinking maybe they were all from California or something.  They said the drought here.  I then lectured them on how we already had our annual amount of rain and there was no drought here.  I wanted to tell them all to go back where they came from.

We are only now getting laws against planting things that require a lot of water, including any kind of lawn.  and no one can plant new trees of certain types like elm and mulberry.  100 years too late, I think.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, and then said:

Food has to remain under temperature control to maintain safety.

Your primer doesn't mention anything about recontamination after food is no longer longer under temperature control.

AQIS measures are usually about protecting the environment and economy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, and then said:

LOL :w00t:

I think we can safely dismiss past claims of experience or any understanding of the medical profession moving forward. Clearly international travel isn't something you do often. 

Overdoing it again? Biosecurity is overdoing it? LOL. 

American Exceptionalism:D

Animal Products:
Meat, milk, egg, poultry, and their products, including products made with these materials are either prohibited or restricted from entering the United States. For further information, please visit the Don’t Pack A Pest website.

Pork and pork products are not admissible from Mexico, however at the land border a thoroughly cooked small amount for personal use is allowed. 

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3619?language=en_US

I guess the Malcontent Muricans will now show us all how they just let visitors off from complying with Customs after making a false declaration.

• Thanks 2

Supposedly it was a search dog. Canine ignores the 20 kilos of cocaine, goes straight for the Mcmuffins.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2022 at 6:04 PM, Desertrat56 said:

What was the disease in the 90's that caused so much problems in the west?  I thought that was hoof and mouth disease.    I remember all the horse related events were canceled or limited to local animals, no one was allowed to transport horses or cattle across state lines.   Also some ranchers had to kill all their cattle.   

That was probably West Nile Virus in 1999. It was weird because besides horses, it was discovered that WNV affects Bluejays also. I found four dead Bluejays in my yard that summer, all within about 10 days. 

1 hour ago, Bed of chaos said:

Supposedly it was a search dog. Canine ignores the 20 kilos of cocaine, goes straight for the Mcmuffins.

There's more than one agency at the barrier.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:39 AM, Desertrat56 said:

This website might be a good start for you: https://www.missionbiosecurity.com.au

What is Biosecurity?

Biosecurity is the actions and measures taken to protect our environment, community and economy from the entry and spread of pests, weeds, diseases and contaminants. Simply put, Biosecurity prevents invasive pests and diseases destroying our way of life!

The best defence against these ‘biosecurity baddies’ is to prevent them. To do this, you need to know the risks and make sure you carry out sound biosecurity practices to reduce and remove these threats. There are lots of quick and easy measures you can build into everyday practices that will help protect our homes, environment, communities, our farmers and our way of life. Biosecurity is everyone’s responsibility - no matter where you live or what your job is. Be a part of it and protect what you love!

We’re a big island with a unique environment which needs to be protected.

It’s not hard to understand why there are such big penalties for people who break these rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1