Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chile probes 25 metres wide sinkhole at underground copper mine

Still Waters

Chilean authorities are investigating a giant sinkhole that opened up over the weekend above an underground copper mine operated by Canada’s Lundin Mining Corp.

A photo of a circular hole of about 25 meters (82 feet) in diameter was posted on the Twitter account of geology and mining service, Sernageomin, which ordered work in the immediate area to stop as it evaluates the situation. In an emailed response, Lundin said it had stopped “underground development work” near the site, but that the sinkhole didn’t affect the community or its workers.

https://www.mining.com/web/chile-probes-giant-sinkhole-at-lundin-underground-copper-mine/

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-02/geologists-investigate-mysterious-sinkhole-chile/101291122

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Chile probes 25 metres wide sinkhole at underground copper mine

You often see news about sinkholes nowadays. Do we have more sinkholes than we used to, or is it just that it is in the news more than it used to?

1 hour ago, fred_mc said:

You often see news about sinkholes nowadays. Do we have more sinkholes than we used to, or is it just that it is in the news more than it used to?

I believe, in these days a lot more sinkholes are opening than it's usual. Primarily due to the climatic changes. A global warming is the main reason. The permafrost is melting much faster, and more and more sinkholes are forming on the Earth.

Edited by jethrofloyd

2 hours ago, Portre said:

When did "White House" become a unit of measure?

Americans will use anything as a unit of measurement rather than the metric system.

My calculations are that this sink hole is more than 100 bald eagles wide

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Portre said:

When did "White House" become a unit of measure?

Many Americans don’t understand units of length and need reference to something like a well known building, football stadium, landmark, number of Budweiser cans in a row etc. to be able to comprehend these things. :w00t:

I really hope that they put roadblocks up either side of the sinkhole… :st

2 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I believe, in these days a lot more sinkholes are opening than it's usual. Primarily due to the climatic changes. A global warming is the main reason. The permafrost is melting much faster, and more and more sinkholes are forming on the Earth.

Chile can be quite cold, but im not sure this happened in an area of permafrost. Flowing water underground is normally the cause of sinkholes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

Many Americans don’t understand units of length and need reference to something like a well known building, football stadium, landmark, number of Budweiser cans in a row etc. to be able to comprehend these things. :w00t:

I accept your premise but not their solution.  Other than discerning the sinkhole is wide enough to fit the White House lengthwise, unless they also provide how much clearance on either side.  it's meaningless.

Like when there's headline that read "Asteroid Twice the Height of the Empire State building...".  W\hat does that mean? Is the asteroid long and narrow like a skyscraper?  If they mean diameter, then the headline should read "Asteroid with diameter twice the height of..."

By the way, the White House is 168 feet (51.2 meters) long, 85 feet 6 inches (26.1 meters) wide without porticoes; 152 feet wide with porticoes.

1 hour ago, Knob Oddy said:

Americans will use anything as a unit of measurement rather than the metric system.

Head to tail, or wingtip to wingtip?

3 minutes ago, Portre said:

Head to tail, or wingtip to wingtip?

Bald eagles are measured beak to talon. 1 bald eagle is 8 big macs in length.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

Bald eagles are measured beak to talon. 1 bald eagle is 8 big macs in length.

:tu:

3 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

About .34 jumbo jets

15 hours ago, Portre said:

I accept your premise but not their solution.  Other than discerning the sinkhole is wide enough to fit the White House lengthwise, unless they also provide how much clearance on either side.  it's meaningless.

Like when there's headline that read "Asteroid Twice the Height of the Empire State building...".  W\hat does that mean? Is the asteroid long and narrow like a skyscraper?  If they mean diameter, then the headline should read "Asteroid with diameter twice the height of..."

By the way, the White House is 168 feet (51.2 meters) long, 85 feet 6 inches (26.1 meters) wide without porticoes; 152 feet wide with porticoes.

It was a joke :rofl:

Modern Americans know most measury stuff to a reasonable extent.