Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Manly Sea Eagles players to boycott NRL match over pride jersey

itsnotoutthere

Seven players from Australian National Rugby League team Manly Sea Eagles will boycott a championship match this week in protest at being made to wear an "inclusiveness" jersey, triggering criticism from the club's first openly gay player.

Manly coach Des Hasler said the players were opposed to wearing the pride jersey on "religious and cultural" grounds and would not play the home match against Sydney Roosters on Thursday.

"The players will not play on Thursday, and we accept their decision," an emotional Hasler told reporters at a media conference on Tuesday.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12659253/manly-players-to-boycott-nrl-match-over-pride-jersey

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Up next the weather outlook for last weekend.

So, how's things? I watched a movie yesterday. You?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, odas said:

So, how's things? I watched a movie yesterday. You?

A movie?  Was it one that had sound too?

I've been following the 1982 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain.  Australia hasn't lost a game yet.

• Haha 2

Back on topic: I can understand sponsors' names on sporting shirts but this is just ridiculous! Where will it end? These rainbow jerseys suggest that everyone who wears one is supportive of a particular cause . . . which they obviously are not. If this group can be represented on the team kit, then why not every other interest each team member has? The team wasn't even asked their opinion about this . . . if they were okay with it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

A movie?  Was it one that had sound too?

I've been following the 1982 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain.  Australia hasn't lost a game yet.

How do you mean sound? 

Ok. I really have to laugh outloud on the Kangaroo tour. How do you come up with that:clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Back on topic: I can understand sponsors' names on sporting shirts but this is just ridiculous! Where will it end? These rainbow jerseys suggest that everyone who wears one is supportive of a particular cause . . . which they obviously are not. If this group can be represented on the team kit, then why not every other interest each team member has? The team wasn't even asked their opinion about this . . . if they were okay with it.

Exactly, why not save any problems & just make it optional.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I don't even think they should do that because it's a slippery slope. There should be nothing but sponsors' logos on the shirts, everything else should be kept away from the game.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

You're against their ANZAC, Indigenous, and Community themed jerseys too?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

It looked like it was optional.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

It looked like it was optional.

It wasn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Seven players didn't wear it.  Their choice.

But they weren't allowed to play! It wasn't that they simply wore plain shirts and played anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

There should be nothing but sponsors' logos on the shirts, everything else should be kept away from the game.

• Thanks 1

What is it with sexual preferences other than straights constant need for validation from everyone? Just do your thing. No one cares. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Manly Sea Eagle Snowflakes looking for an excuse to get out of working.

8 minutes ago, quiXilver said:

Manly Sea Eagle Snowflakes looking for an excuse to get out of working.

What would you do if they told you you had to wear something supporting a cause you didn't believe in?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

But they weren't allowed to play! It wasn't that they simply wore plain shirts and played anyway.

They chose not play.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I don't even think they should do that because it's a slippery slope. There should be nothing but sponsors' logos on the shirts, everything else should be kept away from the game.

I agree.   It would come down to only being able to support causes that a certain group believes in.  

What if they wanted to support Law enforcement (that might only be a thing in the USA)?

What if they wanted to support hunters or hunting? 

Slippery slope indeed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

They chose not play.

I think that the club did not respect the Pacific Island cultural norms.

They're a very religious culture and peoples religious beliefs are protected by law. 

I imagine that if these players were Muslims that the narrative would be more forgiving of the players

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Knob Oddy said:

I think that the club did not respect the Pacific Island cultural norms.

They're a very religious culture and peoples religious beliefs are protected by law. 

I imagine that if these players were Muslims that the narrative would be more forgiving of the players

That's not Manly, is it?

You're talking about the press now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

That's not Manly, is it?

You're talking about the press now.

What do you mean? Can you please be more specific?

The club did not discuss this issue at all with the players when they made the decision to use the rainbow striped jerseys.

Manly invited the controversy in the press through their actions 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

What do you mean? Can you please be more specific?

The club did not discuss this issue at all with the players when they made the decision to use the rainbow striped jerseys.

Manly invited the controversy in the press through their actions 

Jason Saab is not an Islander there goes your identity politics.

Manly have supported the decision of thr players that chose to stand down.

The story of this being a surprise jumper doesn't ring true as the jumper had been released weeks ago.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

What is it with sexual preferences other than straights constant need for validation from everyone? Just do your thing. No one cares. 

14 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Standard jersey

2020DYNADMINSEJRM22501-MAROON-01-detail-

Controversial jersey

2022MWSeaEaglesMensReplicaEILJersey-Maro

Indigenous jersey

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvyUFF9UNTJ49-cVrViVU

It's actually old news here. Duck and I briefly mentioned it in another thread about a week ago. 

The team lost significantly as a result. Dropped out of the top eight. Currently tenth on the ladder I believe.

This protest cost the entire team. 

I was hoping the players who didn't let the team down would win convincingly and they could sack the seven. Not the case unfortunately.

It's not a personal statement. It's a club statement. The official statement was that the jersey is to represent diversity in all its forms.

And now the club looks bad. 

It's all on those seven players. I feel they definitely did the wrong thing. 

The seven appear remorseful as they have backflipped and stated that next year they will wear the jersey. Big drama over nothing. All they did was cause a significant loss and make the club look stupid. Not very loyal to the club are they. And believe me, they are well paid to represent the club. It's not a hobby or something.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2022-manly-pride-jersey-controversy-seven-players-sitting-out-rainbow-manly-kit-owner-scott-penn-ian-roberts-pride-round-next-year-2023-religious-grounds-news/news-story/fb32aefbeffa8c3dcd0b2c7f97afb1a5

Manly Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn has revealed the club’s rainbow-trimmed pride jersey will be back next year — and the seven players who stood down are open to donning the kit.

Josh Aloiai, Jason Saab, Christian Tuipulotu, Josh Schuster, Haumole Olakau’atu, Tolutau Koula and Toafofoa Sipley have all withdrawn from the Roosters clash on religious grounds.

Following meetings between the group and the club’s owner, the players have revealed they would be willing to take part in representing members of the LGBTQIA community, according to 9News.

11 hours ago, Michelle said:

What would you do if they told you you had to wear something supporting a cause you didn't believe in?

Not take the paychecks or pretend to represent a club that I actually don't maybe? 

It's the club's reputation. Not individual by any means.

• Like 1