Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Manly Sea Eagles players to boycott NRL match over pride jersey

itsnotoutthere

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Accept I’m sure they wanted to play the game. They just didn’t want to wear the Jersey. Who got boycotted here??

Why should I accept that you are sure about anything? 

You just told me that you have no understanding of an incident that essentially ended the tenure of the Imam at the largest Mosque in Australia.

The fact is the players boycotted the match and the club has said they respected their decision and beliefs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

But gambling, drinking to excess also contravene religious beliefs. You didn't say why that was OK? 

To be fair, it's the loss of free will that is the sin in this case.  Depending on canon, it was gift from God that some angels were upset about.  (Nevermind, that schism might suggest free will - that's for another forum)

Gambling and alcohol in and of themselves are not outlawed in the New Testament.  This why I said trying to claim the moral hugh ground, above these seven players, is useless when you try to depend on baseless theology.

A better question would be to ask "what would Jesus do?"

Israel Folau was vilified for answering a question about what the bible said.  However, I think he would have worn the jumper and left Jesus to sort the sheep from the goats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

I don’t see that on their jerseys anywhere. I see no reason why you’d believe they support that. They are not responsible for what other people do. They play a sport, that’s it. Probably some of the very few of us that get to make a living doing what they love. They don’t get paid through gambling, they aren’t drunk on the field. Why hold them responsible? 

Ask SBW.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

So what? That doesn’t mean it didn’t tell me something. 

It told you what you wanted to hear. That you could take the moral high ground and you could be outraged. 

Ok so when is Christian week?

Christmas and Easter.

When will they all wear crosses on the front of their jerseys?

When there's a reason to.

Wouldn’t want to be accused of exclusion right??

What on earth makes you think Christians are excluded in any way? They are doing the excluding remember?

How does the rainbow express diversity?

From the link I left earlier.

Speaking in a press conference yesterday, Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler said the kit’s intent was to “support the advocacy and human rights pertaining to gender, race culture, ability and LGBTQ movements”.

It expresses pride in homosexuality.

As I pointed out, that club has done so historically, giving Ian Roberts full support.

This is not a new thing.

Why does everyone have to agree that’s a good thing? Why would anyone be expected to express that when they don’t believe it’s a good thing? 

They aren't 

How can you still not understand this? 

There are plenty of reporters ready to talk to any one if them. Always. There's is nothing to stop them clarifying that they do not support the gay community, it's the club's initiative. They weren't sacked or anything, they chose not to play. How is that not respecting their beliefs, which frankly have no place on the field?

You know why they didn't? They took the easy option. 

How are these players taking away anyones voice? It’s not like they said they wouldn’t play unless the whole team ditched the shirts. They just didn’t want to wear it themselves. 

They are opposing a view of their club and let down their team mates. And fans. And coach. They don't oppose anyone else. But I don't see them invested in all those causes either. 

Yes, they didn't want to. So for that game they came to an agreement. What's your problem with that? Again, nobody was sacked or reprimanded. Not spoken to, nothing. Next game it was football as usual. No commentators bagging them, nothing. That's why duck made fun of it. Appropriately. It was a storm in a B cup. 24 hours later, it was old news.

Pretty sure they weren't welcome at the game either. 

Sydney Morning Herald.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

To be fair, it's the loss of free will that is the sin in this case.  Depending on canon, it was gift from God that some angels were upset about.  (Nevermind, that schism might suggest free will - that's for another forum)

Gambling and alcohol in and of themselves are not outlawed in the New Testament.  This why I said trying to claim the moral hugh ground, above these seven players, is useless when you try to depend on baseless theology.

Welllllllll kinda fine line. You don't really have a game without excess, and temptation and gluttony go hand in hand with betting and drinking.

Wouldn't be anywhere near as fun otherwise. How boring were the Covid crowdless games..... It just wasn't the same.

Besides. It's in the Bible somewhere. I choose to believe so. :innocent:

A better question would be to ask "what would Jesus do?"

I see what you did there........

I just wonder if anyone else did. 

Israel Folau was vilified for answering a question about what the bible said.  However, I think he would have worn the jumper and left Jesus to sort the sheep from the goats.

He's got a big hate on for atheists as well though. I'm taking it personally. That's why I boycotted his game right near me 

Showed him!!!! Take that Israel!!!

20 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Welllllllll kinda fine line. You don't really have a game without excess, and temptation and gluttony go hand in hand with betting and drinking.

Wouldn't be anywhere near as fun otherwise. How boring were the Covid crowdless games..... It just wasn't the same.

Besides. It's in the Bible somewhere. I choose to believe so. :innocent:

I see what you did there........

I just wonder if anyone else did. 

He's got a big hate on for atheists as well though. I'm taking it personally. That's why I boycotted his game right near me 

Showed him!!!! Take that Israel!!!

How's it a fine line?  Jesus turned water into wine, at the encouragement of his Mother, the Virgin Mary.

I just think Issy got flamebaited.  Why are people offended by Hell if they don't believe in it?

I'm not a fan of Issy as a player. I always thought he was over rated.  Greg Inglis would have been a player for the Wallabies to pursue.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1

Well, you can't say I didn't offer you an out.

So it's blind support without any knowledge of the beliefs involved.

Sure. They aren’t asking anything of anyone. Aren’t expressing hatred or violence. People should be free to believe what they want. 

By the same method you should consider head hunting an important belief that should be respected and allowed to be performed in peace?

Yeah cause that’s the same thing. Smh

I can't say all, but as far as I know all do not consider it a live and let live situation. A bit more like your Muslim example earlier. As "strongly traditional Christian communities" (after missionaries brainwashed them of course) they consider it a crime. Punishable by law  Harsh punishments, police dismissal, homophobia and beatings are condoned. 

When they start preaching that, I’ll be in full agreement with you. To just assume that represents them simply because they refused to validate homosexuality is a reach. 

Great cause you picked there :tu:

Can't say I've seen that, threads about that, or current information on that..

What we do know is the Muslim community outright rejects the gay community. There are no gay friendly mosques. On the ABC (here) I've seen an Iman, seemingly nice chap, respected in his mosque, outright say if you are gay do not come to Islam. You are not be welcomed, you will be not be accepted. If a gay person walks into a Muslim environment, they know it's not going to be pleasent. I'd like to think our public places could never echo that sort of thinking.

You don’t see those threads cause you guys hold every other religion to a different standard. If it was Christian’s doing it you can bet it would be a hot topic here. 

Not really like a club with a history of supporting community causes is it. 

Why are peoples personal sexual preferences a community cause? 

Whoosh..

You really think religion should factor at football games? Again, where drinking and gambling is encouraged?

No I don’t. No more than I think homosexual pride should be a factor in football games. 

They are paid to represent the club.

That is in their contract.

considering they got their ass kicked without these guys, maybe just this once there could have been a little compromise. Seems like the club needs them as much as they need the club. 

And they personally are not validating anything. No matter how many times you say that, it doesn't make it true.

Well they obviously felt otherwise. Especially after they were told they must wear it or not play. At that point they were basically told to support a message that they clearly didn’t. 

If they had a history of doing so, I'd have to. I would after all be representing the club. Not me. There's nothing that would stop me saying so in the many interviews available either. They weren't asked to share the support, they were asked to represent a club that supports diversity. 

LOL so you think it would have been ok for them to preach that homosexuality is a sin in interviews, and that would have been fine so long as they wore the jersey? 

You seem to be really struggling with that part. And you wonder why I point out the inability to comprehend team work? 

No?

Look again. That huge noticeable word across the front of the jersey. Take a wild guess what Pointsbet is. 

Go on. Wild stab.

Because they are major sponsors and that's how the club's and stadium's generate revenue?

Maybe?

They aren't asked to be gay bi or other on the field either. Yes, they are privileged. So you think they would pull together as a team rather than expect everyone to change for them? I bet there's a line of people waiting in line for such an amazing opportunity. Pity it didn't go to some more open minded team orientated blokes. 

Ok so they are hypocrites. It still changes nothing. Bottom line, these men felt conviction from personal beliefs. They felt strongly that they shouldn’t be supporting what that Jersey represented. They didn’t express any hatred or violence. Didn’t try to tell anyone else how they should feel about it. They just said it wasn’t for them, and were then told to compromise how they felt about it. To compromise what they believe to be the truth. No way man. That’s crazy. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It told you what you wanted to hear. That you could take the moral high ground and you could be outraged. 

You are the one outraged. I’m the one pointing out there is nothing to be outraged about. You are the one preaching community moral standards as a moral high ground. The only thing I’m saying is good for them. I’m not outraged in the slightest. 

Christmas and Easter.

Even for those who don’t believe in either? No certainly not. When everyone in the community is expected to support them I’ll be right there with you saying it’s wrong. 

When there's a reason to.

What on earth makes you think Christians are excluded in any way? They are doing the excluding remember?

From the link I left earlier.

I don’t. You miss the point completely. I don’t think anyone is being excluded. Lack of validation is not exclusion.

Speaking in a press conference yesterday, Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler said the kit’s intent was to “support the advocacy and human rights pertaining to gender, race culture, ability and LGBTQ movements”.

As I pointed out, that club has done so historically, giving Ian Roberts full support.

This is not a new thing.

They aren't 

How can you still not understand this? 

There are plenty of reporters ready to talk to any one if them. Always. There's is nothing to stop them clarifying that they do not support the gay community, it's the club's initiative. They weren't sacked or anything, they chose not to play. How is that not respecting their beliefs, which frankly have no place on the field?

Again, we both know that would have been a career ending move. 

You know why they didn't? They took the easy option. 

They are opposing a view of their club and let down their team mates. And fans. And coach. They don't oppose anyone else. But I don't see them invested in all those causes either. 

Yes, they didn't want to. So for that game they came to an agreement. What's your problem with that? Again, nobody was sacked or reprimanded. Not spoken to, nothing. Next game it was football as usual. No commentators bagging them, nothing. That's why duck made fun of it. Appropriately. It was a storm in a B cup. 24 hours later, it was old news.

Pretty sure they weren't welcome at the game either. 

Sydney Morning Herald.

I don’t have a problem. You do. You clearly think they should have worn the jersey and shut up about it. 

I do think they should have been allowed to play, but whatev. It’s not always easy to stand by your convictions. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Why should I accept that you are sure about anything? 

Fair enough. 

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

You just told me that you have no understanding of an incident that essentially ended the tenure of the Imam at the largest Mosque in Australia.

The fact is the players boycotted the match and the club has said they respected their decision and beliefs.

So because I’m not aware of a 16 year old story that happened in a foreign land my opinion should be dismissed? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Who got kicked out for taking a knee? The guy was literally the worst starting QB in the league. He had been on his way out for some time. 

NTM gay people are not marginalized or oppressed. Accept in Muslim countries. No one seems to care much about that though. 

The first part is made up, you know it. That is only an opinion.

The second part regarding muslim countries, why just muslims? What about the jewish state? What about the Vatican, a christian state?

Also, do you really want to compete with teocracies or do you want still to be able to call your country the "leader of the free world"?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Fair enough. 

So because I’m not aware of a 16 year old story that happened in a foreign land my opinion should be dismissed? 

Why shouldn't ignorance be dismissed? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, odas said:

The first part is made up, you know it. That is only an opinion.

No it isn’t. He was literally ranked the 31 QB in the league at the time. It was a statistically accurate statement. 

The second part regarding muslim countries, why just muslims? What about the jewish state? What about the Vatican, a christian state?

When they start killing people for being gay, I will definitely include them as well. 

Also, do you really want to compete with teocracies or do you want still to be able to call your country the "leader of the free world"?

I don’t understand this comment. I fully support peoples right to be free. I don’t want to make homosexuality illegal. 

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Why shouldn't ignorance be dismissed? 

We are all ignorant about something. If not knowing about one single thing is the standard for dismissal, then we should all be dismissed. 

But whatev. Do as you please. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

We are all ignorant about something. If not knowing about one single thing is the standard for dismissal, then we should all be dismissed. 

But whatev. Do as you please. 

I gave you an example of trial by media against an Imam. 

What did you give? Countefactuals, whataboutism, and Christian victimhood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I gave you an example of trial by media against an Imam. 

What did you give? Countefactuals, whataboutism, and Christian victimhood.

So you are saying, based on one story, that islam is held to the same standard as other religions? 

13 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

When they start killing people for being gay, I will definitely include them as well. 

Oh, so now we went from a jersy to killings. As for specificly THAT muslims have not done anything that you have not done already.

Not sure if this is the right thread, I don't want to sidetrack it, but if you are really really really up to talying up the scores you can start a new thread on that topic.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, odas said:

Oh, so now we went from a jersy to killings. As for specificly THAT muslims have not done anything that you have not done already.

Not sure if this is the right thread, I don't want to sidetrack it, but if you are really really really up to talying up the scores you can start a new thread on that topic.

Sorry I might have gotten our conversation confused here. I have three going on in the same thread. If so my apologies. 

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

So you are saying, based on one story, that islam is held to the same standard as other religions? 

The score is one-nil, isn't it.

We could throw in Cronulla Riots.

How about a Senator wearing a burkha into a session as a stunt?

What about the NIMBY crowd that protest the construction of Mosques?

Why does the Anti Defamation Commission denounce an "It's OK to be white" sign at the cricket; but, say nothing when Lauren Southern wears the same slogan on her t-shirt while spreading Islamophobia?

And finally, the same question that has already been raised in this thread, what religion is Jason Saab?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, odas said:

No it was the right comment. 

I haven’t done anything to anyone. 

and we are talking about today, not in history. Point was why do stories like this make headlines, when real atrocities still take place in this world towards gay people?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

The score is one-nil, isn't it.

We could throw in Cronulla Riots.

How about a Senator wearing a burkha into a session as a stunt?

What about the NIMBY crowd that protest the construction of Mosques?

Why does the Anti Defamation Commission denounce an "It's OK to be white" sign at the cricket; but, say nothing when Lauren Southern wears the same slogan on her t-shirt while spreading Islamophobia?

And finally, the same question that has already been raised in this thread, what religion is Jason Saab?

And there it is. Good old islamophobia. You all can throw Christian’s in the dirt all day, but point out how women are property, or that gay people are regularly killed by Muslims and it’s islamophobia. 

Keep crying over a few guys not wearing a jersey though. Hypocrite. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, preacherman76 said:

And there it is. Good old islamophobia. You all can throw Christian’s in the dirt all day, but point out how women are property, or that gay people are regularly killed by Muslims and it’s islamophobia. 

Which Christians have been thrown in the dirt?

What would you describe Lauren Southern's activities?

You're just hallucinating now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

and we are talking about today, not in history. Point was why do stories like this make headlines, when real atrocities still take place in this world towards gay people?

That I agree as long as we do not single out one because one does it, unfortunately, openly but others use their hitmen. The endresult is the same being it in past or present times.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

How many women are property in the USA? All of them according to SCOTUS, yoy know, the one you are chearing on. Hitmen.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

That's a question for the OP.

This thread was DOA

Remember someone from the other side of the world started this thread a week after the story disappeared locally. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

What would you describe Lauren Southern's activities?

Entirely legal.

How would you describe them? Would you say that it's not OK to be white?