Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it God or distraction from self?

jmccr8

I am not a scholar nor will I pretend to be so where I want to go with this is how distraction creates opportunity. By focusing on something other than self without a god construct has improved our personal lives., I don't want to see people downgrading the experience of others but do expect if a reasonable question has been asked that a answer that satisfies or feeds the question as given.

Along time ago I realized that communication was a means to satisfy wants, I am a humble man in some senses of the word yet I have foun d no distiction that seperates self from god-self and am interested in what you think.

Disclaimer the sponsor of this thread NEITHER ENDORSES OR supports any particular position  the point is how distraction from self works

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I am not a scholar nor will I pretend to be so where I want to go with this is how distraction creates opportunity. By focusing on something other than self without a god construct has improved our personal lives., I don't want to see people downgrading the experience of others but do expect if a reasonable question has been asked that a answer that satisfies or feeds the question as given.

Along time ago I realized that communication was a means to satisfy wants, I am a humble man in some senses of the word yet I have foun d no distiction that seperates self from god-self and am interested in what you think.

Disclaimer the sponsor of this thread NEITHER ENDORSES OR supports any particular position  the point is how distraction from self works

Are you asking how do paths (not including a g?d construct) what life is like? Do you mean not using g?d as a distraction how is it? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm not quite grasping what you're asking.

Hi Xeno 

To be honest I have had a couple of shots of rum. There are times when we are so focused on our personal needs that some involke god where chance is just as likely so am asking people give measure of their experience of their life improving and what they are attributing it to. You ad I have known each other for many years and even though you have known me for as long as I have been a member here we have been distanced and on my part not that I think you have no value or bring something to the table.

\We have challenges in life and does believing in a stronger or other or self make a difference in how we achieve our goals

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

God is a projection of self, fostering the illusion that we have agency and can be proactive, instead of just reactive to the forces of creation.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Are you asking how do paths (not including a g?d construct) what life is like? Do you mean not using g?d as a distraction how is it? 

Hi Sherapy

Am somewhat rum infused at this point and should likely have started this thread sober and was earlier warned about distracting humor so thought we could mix it up some.if I had more control/say in the matter.

Anything nthat distracts one from one self to achieve and end whether it be god or self is the intent.,

WARNING

those that are humorously challenged should not visit this thread.:tu:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

God is a projection of self, fostering the illusion that we have agency and can be proactive, instead of just reactive to the forces of creation.

Hi Hammer 

Thank you, we design much of our fait but how much credit do we give ourselves for saving ourselves and should we not give credit for effert when due

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Xeno 

To be honest I have had a couple of shots of rum. There are times when we are so focused on our personal needs that some involke god where chance is just as likely so am asking people give measure of their experience of their life improving and what they are attributing it to. You ad I have known each other for many years and even though you have known me for as long as I have been a member here we have been distanced and on my part not that I think you have no value or bring something to the table.

\We have challenges in life and does believing in a stronger or other or self make a difference in how we achieve our goals

What a wonderful thread, Jay.

‘’I am pleased with the path I have chosen and there is no g?d in my life. For me: that ship has sailed. I have a good life it has ups and downs like anyone else’s. I am grateful for and humbled by this life just in general. I have a marriage partner that is truly amazing, I have my Prince Charming as they say, my kids are incredible humans. I have awesome friends. We are simple too, for us having our health is a plus one we are grateful for and enjoy to the fullest as long as it lasts, and plenty of money to live the lifestyle that works best for us, we live by the beach what is not to love. One of my greatest joys is being able to help my boys pursue their dreams. 

We both do work we enjoy, I love being a caregiver its challenges refine my understandings and the kind feedback inspires me to keep nurturing compassion, kindness and empathy and unconditional love and put it to good use. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

We have challenges in life and does believing in a stronger or other or self make a difference in how we achieve our goals

I suppose for some it does help. Believing a higher power has your best interest may give someone the emotional confidence that they need. At one point of my life I'd say that it is definitely true. However on a personal level it is more or less a gamble. 

There are times when we are so focused on our personal needs that some involke god where chance is just as likely so am asking people give measure of their experience of their life improving and what they are attributing it to.

Having climbed out of the abyss of soul crushing existential depression. I'll say (my personal opinion) it was several factors. Mostly patient individuals you helped me figure myself out and lend me their ears. Too the realization that change is never started externally, it always begins inward. So I learned that God doesn't help people, they have to help themselves. Even with all the support I had (on UM) it was up to me. Change your thoughts, change your subjective reality tunnel. Have good folks behind you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I suppose for some it does help. Believing a higher power has your best interest may give someone the emotional confidence that they need. At one point of my life I'd say that it is definitely true. However on a personal level it is more or less a gamble. 

Having climbed out of the abyss of soul crushing existential depression. I'll say (my personal opinion) it was several factors. Mostly patient individuals you helped me figure myself out and lend me their ears. Too the realization that change is never started externally, it always begins inward. So I learned that God doesn't help people, they have to help themselves. Even with all the support I had (on UM) it was up to me. Change your thoughts, change your subjective reality tunnel. Have good folks behind you.

So beautiful, Xeno. I am so happy for you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whatever floats your boat. For some God is a motivator, for others, a classic meme fills the void.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

fills the void.

Everyone fills the void with something. Something they think is meaningful. Even though all meaning is meaningless. It is just a purpose people choose to define in their lives. The thing or things that motivate them to live. I still can not find a meaning to or for my existence, on one hand this is an inner struggle, on the other hand it is freedom. I do not have to define myself, I am in essence "free". Free to define my life moment to moment. To live by simple personal rules. While this rather meaningless almost nihilistic way of living might seem horrible, I find the opposite. I'm going to die, like everyone. Why should I take this world and myself too serious? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Everyone fills the void with something. Something they think is meaningful. Even though all meaning is meaningless. It is just a purpose people choose to define in their lives. The thing or things that motivate them to live. I still can not find a meaning to or for my existence, on one hand this is an inner struggle, on the other hand it is freedom. I do not have to define myself, I am in essence "free". Free to define my life moment to moment. To live by simple personal rules. While this rather meaningless almost nihilistic way of living might seem horrible, I find the opposite. I'm going to die, like everyone. Why should I take this world and myself too serious? 

Well said. Same here, I try and minimize the “need’ to have meaning over and beyond the moment which is meaningful in itself full of surprise and wonder, some times challenging sometimes not just accepting my life as it is. I feel freedom also, free to meet up with life with open curiosity whatever that happens to mean in the context of experiences and go from there. Dropping the narratives and beliefs, preconceptions, views  ( only as needed in the moment ) and lots of unneeded baggage opened a lot of space for me… 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

To be honest I have had a couple of shots of rum.

54 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Am somewhat rum infused at this point

I want some of that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What a wonderful thread, Jay.

‘’I am pleased with the path I have chosen and there is no g?d in my life. For me: that ship has sailed . I have a good life it has ups and downs like anyone else’s. I am grateful for and humbled by thus life just in general. I have a marriage partner that is truly amazing, I have my Prince Charming, my kids are incredible humans. I have awesome friends. We are simple too, fir us having our health is a plus one we are grateful for and enjoy to the fullest as long as it lasts, and plenty of money to live the lifestyle that works best for us, we love to travel. One of my greatest joys is being able to help my boys pursue their dreams. 

We both do work we enjoy, I love being a caregiver its challenges refine my understandings and the kind feedback inspires me to keep nurturing compassion, kindness and empathy and unconditional love. 

Hi Sherapy

Thanks, some of us have a less smooth path, my empathy for others created a turmoil within that that was not my origin and do what I can to counter it in m day to day life.  With my clients it is somewhat different in ways, both yours and mine have expectations they want to see fulfilled deluded or not. Fortunately for me mine are not close to death in the same sense. Most people do not realize how close death walks with them in life. There are no words I could give any person that did not stand by my side in life that would understand the experience we shared, almost like a god thing yet not.,

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Well said. Same here, I try and minimize the “need’ to have meaning or matter, over and beyond the moment which is meaningful in itself full of surprise and wonder, just accepting my life as it is. I feel freedom also, to meet up with life with open curiosity whatever that happens to mean in the context of experiences and go from there. Dropping the narratives and beliefs ( only as needed in the moment ) and baggage opened a lot of space for me… 

One thing that I've noticed when people dedicate themselves to an ideology they loss sight of things. The focus becomes narrow, they become a thing. I guess deep down I never wanted to become a thing. Life then becomes fixed, thought narrows and becomes shallow. Personal freedom doesn't equal hedonism, it is the acknowledgement that we are fully the cause and have to deal with the effect of everything we do. It is by embracing the full ownership of our lives that we can be. To be is to live. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

One thing that I've noticed when people dedicate themselves to an ideology they loss sight of things. The focus becomes narrow, they become a thing. I guess deep down I never wanted to become a thing. Life then becomes fixed, thought narrows and becomes shallow. Personal freedom doesn't equal hedonism, it is the acknowledgement that we are fully the cause and have to deal with the effect of everything we do. It is by embracing the full ownership of our lives that we can be. To be is to live. 

H9 Xeno

Yes people create meaning and respectfully will stop now until a sober tomorrow before dscussing this topic further as i am at this time impaired but will come back with a clear mind later

• Like 3

As many times as I should be dead due to medical issues, I'm left to wonder if it's sheer dumb luck, or if it's that I'm supposed to be in this particular universe for a specific amount of time to do something specific, that maybe I'll realize or I won't. Some of the things we attribute to god I'm starting to wonder is just the combination of outcomes and interactions we are meant to do that determines our fate. More like we are dropped on a quantum plinko board, some of us bounce to the edge and fall off and others keep bouncing longer to a better outcome. (Fairly obvious but yes I do believe in multiple universes. 

• Like 6

Good thread, thanks.

I looked for evidence of that higher being, and had little luck, but still I remember it as a worthwhile journey.  I called out and was answered, most likely by my own convoluted brain, so whether divinely inspired or not, I found some comfort.  I found no being willing to take care of me, but capable parts of myself that can handle a lot of situations instead. 

I found  a  strong sense of belonging as a unique individual and also as a human.  We belong here, good or ill is our choice, but we belong here.  Just like every hawk, oak tree, or amoeba, we evolved to fit this  universe, not the other way round. I don't believe the thing has any higher meaning,  other  than what  we assign to it. 

For me, gratitude helps a lot.  I do not thank a higher being so much as notice and  the world around me and take some delight in it.   Seems to fill the void for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Same here, I try and minimize the “need’ to have meaning over and beyond the moment which is meaningful in itself full of surprise and wonder, some times challenging sometimes not just accepting my life as it is.

Yea I've felt fortunate this year in that the times when I just feel lucky and thankful have increased.  I think those two feelings make up a decent amount of the allure of religion too but they're definitely achievable without attaching supernatural stuff to it.  I've had to go through some crappy times in the last couple years, normal stuff everyone has to go through, and the pandemic didn't help but it's such a relief to have the black cloud of dread removed and with it I was able to jettison a bunch of other negative internal self-criticism, bs, et al, that had been there kinda unknown but still weighing me down.  I'm sure it's a common analogy but I felt like I had a cart that was unknowingly hooked to the back of my belt carrying the weight of a bunch of negative feelings and bad memories and regrets, constantly making every step in life a little harder.  And then I realized it was there, and I just unhooked it and left it behind.  I realize not everyone can do that voluntarily, but for me everything in that cart suddenly seemed so small and petty in a relative sense.  This 'liberating apathy' for a lack of a better phrase spread to everything especially work, I'd occasionally get stressed about work hassles but then it occurred to me after working decades that although I do remember fretting many times in the past about work there are very few instances where I actually remember what the fretting was specifically about.  That's how important it isn't in the scheme of things, so why bother.

I moved this year to a college town and that's helped bring some perspective too.  I'm sure it's part nostalgia about remembering being their age and what it felt like, but it's weird to again be around so many people who are so future-focused, as everyone is at that age.  I'm decades removed from them and I'm at the other end, I realized it's so much more about today for me and, although at their age I don't know I was really even pursuing it, I'm really enjoying just being able to feel content now.  I have no idea why that isn't as meaningful as living on after I die with God in some kind of eternal perfection, whatever that's supposed to be like; perspective and contentment when I can get it is plenty meaningful to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some logic shawl a monk weaved for me... 

"There is no god, it is just god presence... 

It is not here, 

It is not there,

It is not future, 

It is not the past, 

It is not be but being... 

It is being in your mother's womb as your existence is now birthed into  this other womb of the outer side ... "

~

Or something like that... 

Translations into a language that has none of the similar definitions has its shortcomings... 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

IS IT GOD OR DISTRACTION FROM SELF

informal discussion about the distraction of self and what part god pays in it

What is your concept of God?

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

HI Xeno

Great post and this is the type of response I enjoy seeing. Yes I have watched you through some of your turmoil and glad that you have decided to be a part of the discussion. Thank you for stepping up to share as I know you have faced many challenges of self here over the years and appreciate your honesty

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Whatever floats your boat. For some God is a motivator, for others, a classic meme fills the void.

Thanks Hammer

I enjoyed that.:D:tu:

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Is it God or distraction from self?
  • The topic was locked