Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it God or distraction from self?


jmccr8
 Share

Recommended Posts

In the ultimate summation, God exists, that explains why we are here existing also, because He created us.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, oslove said:

In the ultimate summation, God exists, that explains why we are here existing also, because He created us.

Maybe you can take this a bit deeper, why not try explaining how your g?d construct has inspired you.  It is like a greet and meet ice breaker type thread, designed to build bridges. Jay’s threads are about inclusiveness not righteousness or pulpit preaching. 

 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, oslove said:

In the ultimate summation, God exists, that explains why we are here existing also, because He created us.

Except YOU don’t get to make that determination for anyone but yourself, something you fail to understand on a continuous basis. 
 

cormac

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, jmccr8 said:

I am not a scholar nor will I pretend to be so where I want to go with this is how distraction creates opportunity. By focusing on something other than self without a god construct has improved our personal lives., I don't want to see people downgrading the experience of others but do expect if a reasonable question has been asked that a answer that satisfies or feeds the question as given.

Along time ago I realized that communication was a means to satisfy wants, I am a humble man in some senses of the word yet I have foun d no distiction that seperates self from god-self and am interested in what you think.

Disclaimer the sponsor of this thread NEITHER ENDORSES OR supports any particular position  the point is how distraction from self works

I think I understand what you’re asking, and I also drink rum.  Having something to believe in, especially if it has rules to follow, kindof makes life easier in a sense.  You’re having problems, use your faith and pray and God will get you through it.  But what if you don’t have a God, or religion to believe in?  Well, you’re lost?  
 

Not necessarily….the power of one’s own mind can accomplish the same things that religion offers.  Monks on the slopes of the Himalayan mountains can meditate at night and not experience hypothermia but other people, probably you, me, and everyone on this forum would suffer death or injury without additional gear.  But that is a bad example because the monks are actually practice religious beliefs.  But, how about the guy who smoked two packs a day for 20 years, decided to quit one day and just did it.  If known people who have done that with the power of the mind and not religion.  The problem for me is that’s it’s really hard to be that self-controlled and disciplined.  I just am not that right now.

Anyway, there are plenty of secular techniques a person could use to make changes in their life. Indont really know any, or I’d be using them.  Even AA is religious.  Im not criticizing the twelve step program, I am proud to say I did it and it worked.  But then, I was  comfortable praying to God, and now Im not. God and I don’t have a good relationship right now, so…praying isn’t really going to work for me.  But many of those principles from the 12 step I morphed into something that would work for me now.  But I’ve only just started on it.  I have at least my first principle down - honesty.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Guyver said:

I think I understand what you’re asking, and I also drink rum.  Having something to believe in, especially if it has rules to follow, kindof makes life easier in a sense.  You’re having problems, use your faith and pray and God will get you through it.  But what if you don’t have a God, or religion to believe in?  Well, you’re lost?  
 

Not necessarily….the power of one’s own mind can accomplish the same things that religion offers.  Monks on the slopes of the Himalayan mountains can meditate at night and not experience hypothermia but other people, probably you, me, and everyone on this forum would suffer death or injury without additional gear.  But that is a bad example because the monks are actually practice religious beliefs.  But, how about the guy who smoked two packs a day for 20 years, decided to quit one day and just did it.  If known people who have done that with the power of the mind and not religion.  The problem for me is that’s it’s really hard to be that self-controlled and disciplined.  I just am not that right now.

Anyway, there are plenty of secular techniques a person could use to make changes in their life. Indont really know any, or I’d be using them.  Even AA is religious.  Im not criticizing the twelve step program, I am proud to say I did it and it worked.  But then, I was  comfortable praying to God, and now Im not. God and I don’t have a good relationship right now, so…praying isn’t really going to work for me.  But many of those principles from the 12 step I morphed into something that would work for me now.  But I’ve only just started on it.  I have at least my first principle down - honesty.

I wish you much success in all your endeavors. 
 

cormac

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oslove said:

In the ultimate summation, God exists, that explains why we are here existing also, because He created us.

Hi Oslove

Rather than watch you turn this into another pointless rant of nothing by you I would ask to close this thread. I asked you once already to give it a break as obviously you are not interested in exploring anything other than I exist therefore god exists.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Maybe you can take this a bit deeper, why not try explaining how your g?d construct has inspired you.  It is like a greet and meet ice breaker type thread, designed to build bridges. Jay’s threads are about inclusiveness not righteousness or pulpit preaching. 

 

Hi Sherapy

Thanks but there is no point in continuing with this member and have asked to close the thread

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy

Thanks but there is no point in continuing with this member and have asked to close the thread

Do you think you asked the thread be closed because you felt guilty about making it when you were drunk?  Although, no offense, but how could you be drunk on two rum and cokes?  2 rum and cokes only lets me know we are drinking tonight.  I don’t even get tipsy on two.  I guess that’s nothing to brag about.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy

Thanks but there is no point in continuing with this member and have asked to close the thread

I actually wanted to ask Sherapy a question about self-help style therapy, so I hope you take back closing the thread.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Do you think you asked the thread be closed because you felt guilty about making it when you were drunk?  Although, no offense, but how could you be drunk on two rum and cokes?  2 rum and cokes only lets me know we are drinking tonight.  I don’t even get tipsy on two.  I guess that’s nothing to brag about.

Hi Guyver

No I don’t feel guilty actually just don’t see the point in having another thread for Oslove to dick around we already have a half a dozen that are the same pointless circle of nothing. I am done wasting time with him I am sure that he will keep the other threads going..

Not sure if you think I am distressed when I started the thread but I am fine and was just looking to discuss something more than I exist therefore god exists and it is obvious that the thread is headed down that path.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, oslove said:

In the ultimate summation, God exists, that explains why we are here existing also, because He created us.

If god created you, heaven will look this as UM posters arrive and greet god.

 

slapped-abused.gif

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
5 hours ago, oslove said:

In the ultimate summation, God exists, that explains why we are here existing also, because He created us.

Quite the contrary, I think we humans created Him in our image, or perhaps in the image of the most power-mad fantasies of our egos.  That is why there is no evidence for Him.  He's imaginary.  He is also a security blanket for adults.  Time to put away childish things.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Guyver

No I don’t feel guilty actually just don’t see the point in having another thread for Oslove to dick around we already have a half a dozen that are the same pointless circle of nothing. I am done wasting time with him I am sure that he will keep the other threads going..

Not sure if you think I am distressed when I started the thread but I am fine and was just looking to discuss something more than I exist therefore god exists and it is obvious that the thread is headed down that path.

First of all, Oslove has an argument that he consistently repeats that only makes sense in his eyes.  He has a belief, like many people, myself once included that God is the first cause, though he doesn’t state it that way.  After many years, I have come to believe that his kind is mistaken because they “assume” that God is the first cause.  And, maybe that’s true, and in an ultimate sense, there could be a God who was the first cause.  But now, thanks to modern science we can understand that this universe, though special enough to create intelligent life, it doesn’t mean this universe was the first, or that God was the cause of this one.  Many people who believe as Oslove do, think the world is less than 10,000 years old.  I’m sorry, but that has just been plainly shown to be false thanks to science.  We know for a fact the world is older than 10,000 years and we can prove it with science. There are also people who believe the world is flat, and the same God that Oslove believes in, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Joseph, the God of the Ten Commandments and Jesus, is the God flat-earthers believe in.  
 

Now, that you don’t feel guilty for posting when drunk, good on you.  I have left-over Catholic guilt, so, I do feel bad when I post when I’m drunk.  But at the same time, many times I post here, even if I’m drunk, because I actually believe that someone on this forum is going to step up and say something that actually helps me.  So, I would say, leave this thread running, ignore Oslove, or simply defeat his arguments so he has no choice but to be quiet. In any event, don’t let one poster ruin your thread.  Just ignore that one guy if you don’t like what he says or how he says it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is entirely possible that the multiverse is the first cause of this universe, and that completely defeats Oslove’s argument.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Guyver said:

I think I understand what you’re asking, and I also drink rum.  Having something to believe in, especially if it has rules to follow, kindof makes life easier in a sense.  You’re having problems, use your faith and pray and God will get you through it.  But what if you don’t have a God, or religion to believe in?  Well, you’re lost?  
 

Not necessarily….the power of one’s own mind can accomplish the same things that religion offers.  Monks on the slopes of the Himalayan mountains can meditate at night and not experience hypothermia but other people, probably you, me, and everyone on this forum would suffer death or injury without additional gear.  But that is a bad example because the monks are actually practice religious beliefs.  But, how about the guy who smoked two packs a day for 20 years, decided to quit one day and just did it.  If known people who have done that with the power of the mind and not religion.  The problem for me is that’s it’s really hard to be that self-controlled and disciplined.  I just am not that right now.

Anyway, there are plenty of secular techniques a person could use to make changes in their life. Indont really know any, or I’d be using them.  Even AA is religious.  Im not criticizing the twelve step program, I am proud to say I did it and it worked.  But then, I was  comfortable praying to God, and now Im not. God and I don’t have a good relationship right now, so…praying isn’t really going to work for me.  But many of those principles from the 12 step I morphed into something that would work for me now.  But I’ve only just started on it.  I have at least my first principle down - honesty.

Guyv, we are glad you are part of our UM family. 

 

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

I actually wanted to ask Sherapy a question about self-help style therapy, so I hope you take back closing the thread.

You can pm me too, anytime. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was locked
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.