Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US fireman finds 10 dead in house blaze are his family

Eldorado

Three children and seven adults have died in a house fire in the US state of Pennsylvania, and a firefighter called to the scene was horrified to find the victims were his own family.

Pennsylvania State Police confirmed the names of six of the victims, but have yet to identify the youngest children, ages five, six and seven.

A criminal investigation has been launched into the fire's cause.

The blaze is thought to have begun on the porch early on Friday morning.

Harold Baker, a Nescopeck Volunteer Fire Company firefighter, told the Associated Press news agency that the dead were his son, daughter, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, three grandchildren and two other relatives.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62445962

• Sad 9

The worst part will be that the poor firefighter is now going to be wracked with guilt about not having driven there fast enough or some other silly self-recrimination.  There's also half a chance that the police will consider him a suspect because the story seems so unlikely.  What an awful coincidence.

• Like 3

This happened not far from me. @JVG This was more up in your area, wasn't it?

Here's a local news report. So so sad :cry:

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/local/luzerne-county/fire-in-nescopeck-leaves-ten-people-dead-harold-baker-heidi-knorr-lt-derek-felsman-pennsylvania-state-police-nescopeck-volunteer-fire-company/523-f2577d58-bd55-4a8a-8e14-07ecfc10e36a

NESCOPECK, Pa. — New video from a neighbor shows intense flames rising from the home in the 700 block of First Street in Nescopeck, around 2:30 a.m. on Friday. 

State police say firefighters on the scene tried to rescue the people trapped inside, but the fire was raging.

"We pulled up and the whole place was fully involved. We tried to get in to them but there was no way to get in to them," said Harold Baker, Berwick.

Harold Baker was one of the first firefighters on scene, telling us much of his own family was inside the home.

"I also lost my son, my daughter, grandson, two other grandkids in there, my father-in-law, my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law. All lost," said Baker.

State police confirm ten lives were claimed in the fire, releasing the names of the seven adults between the ages of 19 and 79.

Two boys, five and six years old, and a seven-year-old girl were killed in the blaze too. 

Baker says 13 people were home at the time; relatives enjoying moments together, not knowing they would be some of their last. Baker's son, Dale, seen on his volunteer firemen's card was among those killed. He tells us there was nothing he could've done.

"I couldn't get in there to save them. That is the biggest thing that has been on me. I couldn't get in there to save them," said Baker.

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

Could've been anything like aerosol cans exploding.

• Like 5

Hey Susie this is less than 20 miles from me. I was in Nescopeck recently visiting a antique shop.. This is a small community with very nice people and it a shame what happened to this family…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JVG said:

Hey Susie this is less than 20 miles from me. I was in Nescopeck recently visiting a antique shop.. This is a small community with very nice people and it a shame what happened to this family…

Just horrific what happened to that family. Our news says the community is gathering around them. Such an overwhelming thing for a small community to endure. As I understand a major investigation is taking place. I guess 3 adults managed to escape and something like 13 dogs were also in the house. 

• Like 2