Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TikTok - i just dont get it

maggythekitty

I will never understand why somebody scantily clad covered in makeup lip syncing badly to some rnb song while doing silly things with their hands, is the big thing today, why this tiktok industry is worth billions

It is literally nothing, it is just a stupid meaningless video.

Maybe its just me, i dont know. But i just dont get this rubbish, Even youtube is starting to get just as bad with youtube shorts

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Nothing to "get" its like a reply i made in another thread tiktok is designed to appeal to the most intellectually devoid folks on the planet, lots of them out there.

As far as the look at me wearing next to nothing attention junkies doing stupid crap, see my above babbling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, maggythekitty said:

I will never understand why somebody scantily clad covered in makeup lip syncing badly to some rnb song while doing silly things with their hands, is the big thing today, why this tiktok industry is worth billions

Maybe its just me, i dont know. But i just dont get this rubbish, Even youtube is starting to get just as bad with youtube shorts

We live in an 'instant' world now.  Everyone is in a perpetual hurry, for no apparent reason, and if you asked them, they wouldn't even know why themselves. Instant is good...because it doesn't require thought process.  Google = instant knowledge.  Tic toc =  instant entertainment.  Trending = what's cool...right now.  

Instant gratification = Instant Destruction   The thinkers will inherit the Earth.  Take solace in that! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, joc said:

We live in an 'instant' world now.  Everyone is in a perpetual hurry, for no apparent reason, and if you asked them, they wouldn't even know why themselves. Instant is good...because it doesn't require thought process.  Google = instant knowledge.  Tic toc =  instant entertainment.  Trending = what's cool...right now.  

Instant gratification = Instant Destruction   The thinkers will inherit the Earth.  Take solace in that! 

Too long to read. Do you have a TL/DR?

• Haha 5

I trry to imagine what it would look like if there was a time machine and someone from this era visited the 70s. In the time of the moon landing and Rock 'n' Roll music. And then, a people from the seventies ask this time traveler: how will a world look in the future? What is the most popular thing in the future? And he answers them - Tik Tok. :unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

After that beautiful boy archie who his family strongly suspect died after a tiktok challenge.

I hope tiktok are sued bankrupt

35 minutes ago, maggythekitty said:

After that beautiful boy archie who his family strongly suspect died after a tiktok challenge.

Really? I never knew that- it hasn't been reported.

1 minute ago, Silver said:

Really? I never knew that- it hasn't been reported.

It has been in some news. Remember the blackout challenge that has been around for decades? Where a kid holds their breath or squeezes their neck or has someone else squeeze it till they pass out. It's been around again, this time on tiktok. Since some kids have hurt themselves, as usually happens when this challenge makes the rounds, some parents have decided to sue tiktok over it. Archie was a 12 year old that strangled himself with a cord, was hospitalized, and there was a legal battle about the withdrawal of life support. He died in the last couple days. There was a topic recently about a couple of 7 year olds that did it last year and died, and those parents are suing tiktok. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rashore said:

It has been in some news. Remember the blackout challenge that has been around for decades? Where a kid holds their breath or squeezes their neck or has someone else squeeze it till they pass out. It's been around again, this time on tiktok. Since some kids have hurt themselves, as usually happens when this challenge makes the rounds, some parents have decided to sue tiktok over it. Archie was a 12 year old that strangled himself with a cord, was hospitalized, and there was a legal battle about the withdrawal of life support. He died in the last couple days. There was a topic recently about a couple of 7 year olds that did it last year and died, and those parents are suing tiktok. 

Yes, I have been following the tragedy of Archie and his family. I have, on UM, only just now heard there was a TikToc challenge involved. I thought he had accidently got caught in a venetian blind cord or something. I am surprised it hasn't been more widely reported like the Hot Water Challenge (throwing boiling water over people) and the Quiet Place Challenge  (driving or running blindfolded) - it deserves a bit more publicity just to warn people. 

1 hour ago, rashore said:

When I was in middle school back in 08, people were doing the blackout thing in the lockerooms. Eventually the school gathered us all in the auditorium to tell us not to do that or we might die.

Edited by spartan max2

24 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

When I was in middle school back in 08, people were doing the blackout thing in the lockerooms. Eventually the school gathered us all in the auditorium to tell us not to do that or we might die.

When I was a kid, it was mostly some parents that busted it up. It made the rounds one summer vacation. 

• Like 1

Well, I don't want to be criticized, but I like Tik Tok. Yes, there are a lot of cringe videos, but also, there are lots of interesting ones. I love football, and there I can see a lot of related videos, some news as well as just memes

• Like 2

Not trying to sound like the old guy yelling at clouds but social media like tiktok, twatter, and whatever else is out there just isn’t for me.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2022 at 5:35 PM, maggythekitty said:

Some of them make modest to fantastic amounts of money doing it by going the onlyfans route and charging for it.

Tik Tock has some really dumb and dangerous challenges.  I remember a few of them

1. NyQuil Chicken where you cooked chicken with the cough syrup

2. Gorilla Glue which resulted in that incident of a woman gluing her hair and having it all ripped out

3. Eating corn on the cob using a drill bit.

4. Benadryl challenge where the person overdoses in order to experience hallucinations

And the dumbest one was the Tidepod challenge where people were eating the laundry soap. Some of these challenges are stupid, while others resulted in various deaths and serious injuries. 

Edited by Scholar4Truth

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, maggythekitty said:

It seems that was not the case.

A coroner has said he has seen no evidence that Archie Battersbee was taking part in an online challenge when he fatally injured himself.

Archie, 12, from Southend, died when his life support was withdrawn following his parents' legal battle with the NHS hospital treating him.

His mother has said she believed he was injured in an online challenge.

A pre-inquest review heard Essex Police had found messages on his phone reflecting a "very low mood".

A full inquest is to be held in Chelmsford on 7 February.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-63557850

Tik Tok is not that bad. Honestly, there are useful content, or just funny videos. Of course. there are a lot of trash, like everywhere, but if you dedicate some time to recommendations settings, you'll see some good things

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2022 at 5:35 AM, maggythekitty said:

I don't know what's on your FYP, but my Tiktok timeline isn't filled with scantily dressed dancing women. :unsure2:

On 8/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, maggythekitty said:

I agree except that my grandon is learning to make videos using Youtube shorts.   He has been making them for a couple of years and this year in middle school (6th grade) he is taking a film class.   He did one that I think is hilarious because he took a character he had from a game falling off a cliff and put the  music "I believe I can fly" to it.    And I have seen some shorts that are a lot of fun, people dancing (real dancers) in the street.   But I agree, there is a lot of nonsense on both and I don't use Tik Tok at all.   

• 1 month later...

Never actually posted or used it, never will. :lol:

I once wanted to see what it was all about...I was as confused as ever! Maybe I'm old for that now.

• Like 1