Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the Afterlife All in Our Heads?

rashore

Are they out there?

Spend any time with people in grief and you are likely to hear about moments when they felt...knew...that their loved one was present, just out of sight, behind the veil between worlds. You will also hear stories of things…happening. Inexplicable things. Things that feel important. Like signs.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/widows-walk/202207/is-the-afterlife-all-in-our-heads

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have my own proof but it's personal. I don't need it challenged, I know what happened and I don't need to prove it to anyone. If it turns out not to be true I'll be dead anyway and who would care? 

• Like 3

Readable link. Refreshing to see two sides of a coin offered. Pretty common musings though I would think. Grief had always been a part of dealing with death and undoubtedly has an effect on belief in the afterlife. 

I don't agree where it says we don't know what happens after death. We do know. Some, well quite a few, expand on that. There's nothing there to prove or illustrate that an afterlife is plausible but it's a commonly accepted myth. 

I would say it's more accurate to say extrapolations of life after death have never offered proof. From the real evidence we have, and the conclusions given by physics, death is final. Afterlife ideals are simply a human construct. And yes, grief no doubt would heighten emotions offering confused conclusions. 

When we seperate the myth laden attributes of the afterlife next to physics, there is not two answers. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rashore said:

Ah yeah, had that.

As I awoke on some mornings I felt something get up off the end of the bed. Like something had been sat there watching me sleep. It freaked me out.

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 1

I think it can be a product of our minds and I also think the loved ones still exist and can telepathically/paranormally cause your attention too.

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think it can be a product of our minds and I also think the loved ones still exist and can telepathically/paranormally cause your attention too.

How's that related to the link?

It's discussing mental connections to loved ones and why they might be amplified in times of grief. 

The link actually isn't about you. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, psyche101 said:

From the real evidence we have, and the conclusions given by physics

In my opinion , to me , the more i see about physics , the more possible it seems . 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

How's that related to the link?

It's discussing mental connections to loved ones and why they might be amplified in times of grief. 

The link actually isn't about you. 

It fit the article perfectly. It was about the source of those feelings.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, razman said:

In my opinion , to me , the more i see about physics , the more possible it seems . 

I'd say you're doing it wrong. Physics refutes an afterlife ideology. I can't see how you could come to that conclusion.

• Thanks 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

It fit the article perfectly. It was about the source of those feelings.

That you think there's a paranormal explanation? No that doesn't fit in with the article. That's your personal ideology.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

That you think there's a paranormal explanation? No that doesn't fit in with the article. That's your personal ideology.

The article touched on both.

Just now, papageorge1 said:

The article touched on both.

Have you any comment about how the grief process heightens family awareness? How that makes one feel a presence that isn't actually there? 

How about you don't derail this one with nonsense? 

• Like 1

I guess we all have our own take away from that read where our biggest deepest true believer papa thinks of course it supported the paranormal side. myself a self proclaimed cynical skeptic sees it as an opinion piece to say the afterlife and passed loved ones popping by in vauge way to say they are okay and love is just in our minds.

Lets face it the idea of an afterlife and dead people changing form and living on in any conscience form is a construct of the human mind, sure i understand why some grasp it the other side can be terrifying.

I grasp that we are dependant on food and air water too and some folks are very dependant for lots of reasons on another person or people, i had 3 care givers in my life but my grandmother who basically raised me was the only person who i actually felt loved me shes been gone too long and no i dont think when i shuffle off this mortal coil ill meet up with her and any happy joyjoy warm feelings i had that she was still here for me were nothing more than constructs of my hurting brain. She lives on only in my memories.

Each day that passes i realize i do get more jaded not bitter just spent and i get less patience for make believe, prove it or stuff it. Ill be honest i havent heard not one version of the alleged afterlife that i would run and get in line for. Im i wasting what time i have left? In a way you bet i am because for me i play the hand im dealt and dont need to use make believe to help me feel better it doesnt work, however i am very envious of the comfort i see blind belief give some participants.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

I guess we all have our own take away from that read where our biggest deepest true believer papa thinks of course it supported the paranormal side.

I happen to know that papa didn't think that read supported the paranormal side. Papa did discuss his opinions on the overall subject though.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I happen to know that papa didn't think that read supported the paranormal side. Papa did discuss his opinions on the overall subject though.

Very, very odd you talk of yourself in 3rd party.

When you made your reply below that the article touched on both i am guilty of making a mistaken leap that as in most cases you were saying the article supported paranormal as a possibility thanks for clearing it up that you do not think the article supports the paranormal in this case but rather its in the mind. ( not paranormal )

16 hours ago, papageorge1 said:
16 hours ago, psyche101 said:

The article touched on both

As i thought more it would seem the writer is accepting its in the head but still wants to cling to more comforting explanations its that way with a lot of believers who turn skeptic when evidence simply isnt tgeir to support paranormal.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Very, very odd you talk of yourself in 3rd party.

When you made your reply below that the article touched on both i am guilty of making a mistaken leap that as in most cases you were saying the article supported paranormal as a possibility thanks for clearing it up that you do not think the article supports the paranormal in this case but rather its in the mind. ( not paranormal )

As i thought more it would seem the writer is accepting its in the head but still wants to cling to more comforting explanations its that way with a lot of believers who turn skeptic when evidence simply isnt tgeir to support paranormal.

It struck me as a fluff article as it did not appear the author was very well versed on the subjects of the paranormal and spiritual evidence that I hold to be strong.

In the past religion kept science in the dark ages. In modern times science puts the spiritual in the dark ages, This author seems to be a product of the modern times where she is not versed in the paranormal/spiritual evidence for an afterlife and theoretical models that allow it to happen. Slowly, since the attention of things like Near Death Experiences, many of us and society are moving to a more intelligent place where good science and good paranormal/spiritual things are both respected.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It struck me as a fluff article as it did not appear the author was very well versed on the subjects of the paranormal and spiritual evidence that I hold to be strong.

In the past religion kept science in the dark ages. In modern times science puts the spiritual in the dark ages, This author seems to be a product of the modern times where she is not versed in the paranormal/spiritual evidence for an afterlife and theoretical models that allow it to happen. Slowly, since the attention of things like Near Death Experiences, many of us and society are moving to a more intelligent place where good science and good paranormal/spiritual things are both respected.

I am waiting for the day you have more than stories and faith to back up your beliefs i know im a very OCD impatience person.

• Confused 1

Papa, its not hard to understand my stance, you say you believe blah blah i say so show me your best evidence you tell me a story i say thats nice but show me evidence a story is enough for you not enough for me.