Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brexit 'going as well as expected' say government


Silver
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Britain's food industry has been asked to prepare plans to avoid empty shelves and NHS bosses have been told to ensure 'diesel tanks are full' as the UK braces for winter blackouts in January that will see days of planned power cuts closing railway lines and libraries amid plummeting temperatures. 

A perfect storm of cold weather and gas shortages could lead to the implementation of organised blackouts that could impact on businesses and homes across the country, as well as forcing the closure of railways, libraries and other Government buildings.

As the Government prepares for winter, people familiar with its plans have suggested the 'reasonable worst-case scenario' indicates electricity capacity could fall short by a sixth of peak demand.

This could spark emergency blackouts, according to Bloomberg, which claims to have spoken to a source familiar with the Government's thinking, although they added this scenario is not expected to happen.

Food industry asked to prepare plans to avoid empty shelves as Britain braces for winter BLACKOUTS | Daily Mail Online

Edited by Silver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Brexit 'going as well as expected' say government
 
43 minutes ago, Silver said:

Brexit 'going as well as expected' say government

Can someone get me an ambulance?

I don't think my stomach can take any more laughter! :lol:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, acute said:

Can someone get me an ambulance?

I don't think my stomach can take any more laughter! :lol:

Now, now. I think it's entirely fair to say it's going about as well as some of us expected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Silver said:

Britain's food industry has been asked to prepare plans to avoid empty shelves and NHS bosses have been told to ensure 'diesel tanks are full' as the UK braces for winter blackouts in January that will see days of planned power cuts closing railway lines and libraries amid plummeting temperatures. 

A perfect storm of cold weather and gas shortages could lead to the implementation of organised blackouts that could impact on businesses and homes across the country, as well as forcing the closure of railways, libraries and other Government buildings.

As the Government prepares for winter, people familiar with its plans have suggested the 'reasonable worst-case scenario' indicates electricity capacity could fall short by a sixth of peak demand.

This could spark emergency blackouts, according to Bloomberg, which claims to have spoken to a source familiar with the Government's thinking, although they added this scenario is not expected to happen.

Food industry asked to prepare plans to avoid empty shelves as Britain braces for winter BLACKOUTS | Daily Mail Online

What do the economic problems from coronavirus and the Russian war have to do with Brexit?

And a lot of countries have exactly the same problems. Did they all Brexit too?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

What do the economic problems from coronavirus and the Russian war have to do with Brexit?

And a lot of countries have exactly the same problems. Did they all Brexit too?

Hi Cookie

They left an economic union so yes every country in that union would be affected in some ways so it’s not like only the UK suffered change

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

What do the economic problems from coronavirus and the Russian war have to do with Brexit?

And a lot of countries have exactly the same problems. Did they all Brexit too?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

What do the economic problems from coronavirus and the Russian war have to do with Brexit?

And a lot of countries have exactly the same problems. Did they all Brexit too?

Just because the whole world is suffering from a shortage of microchips, supply difficulties, after effects of Covid, the Ukraine war etc, doesnt take away the additional harm Brexit is doing.  It's like saying 'because everyone is limping because they have stones in their shoes, it hardly matters if I cut my feet off'. Everything is additionally more exensive. It why we can't cut VAT to 10% like Spain, or reduce domestic energy prices to little more than they were like France. The UK and Russia are the bottom two performing advanced economies, Russia because it has had sanctions imposed on it, the UK because it imposed sanctions on itself. It is why we never had a post Covid bounce back and why we are about to enter a prolonged recession:

 

Edited by Silver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, acute said:

Can someone get me an ambulance?

I don't think my stomach can take any more laughter! :lol:

Yes, I have called 999.  It should be with you next Monday. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Silver said:

Just because the whole world is suffering from a shortage of microchips, supply difficulties, after effects of Covid, the Ukraine war etc, doesnt take away the additional harm Brexit is doing.  It's like saying 'because everyone is limping because they have stones in their shoes, it hardly matters if I cut my feet off'. Everything is additionally more exensive. It why we can't cut VAT to 10% like Spain, or reduce domestic energy prices to little more than they were like France. The UK and Russia are the bottom two performing advanced economies, Russia because it has had sanctions imposed on it, the UK because it imposed sanctions on itself. It is why we never had a post Covid bounce back and why we are about to enter a prolonged recession:

 

Well remove the other issues and show us what Brexit has caused.

Oh, you cant lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Well remove the other issues and show us what Brexit has caused.

Oh, you cant lol.

Even the Brexit-supporting Express is saying legal (as well as of course boat people) immigration is higher now we don't have seasonal EU workers:

Brexit: Ministers 'filling jobs with foreign workers' as immigration fails to slow

THE GOVERNMENT is "filling jobs with foreign workers" and has failed to get a grip of high immigration numbers despite its Brexit promises.

Mass immigration was at the centre of the 2016 referendum campaign and is understood to have become a byword for the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, especially in the country’s more working-class, socially conservative areas, sometimes termed the “left-behind” towns. But figures show there are now more migrants coming to the UK than before the vote, with the share of non-EU migration having risen. 

Brexit: Ministers 'filling jobs with foreign workers' as immigration fails to slow | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Edited by Silver
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, acute said:

Can someone get me an ambulance?

I don't think my stomach can take any more laughter! :lol:

 

2 hours ago, Essan said:

Yes, I have called 999.  It should be with you next Monday. 

Next Monday sounds ideal!

That's one thing that has improved since Brexit!

I'm glad the response times have come down. :tsu:

 

Edited by acute
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
8 hours ago, Silver said:

Even the Brexit-supporting Express is saying legal (as well as of course boat people) immigration is higher now we don't have seasonal EU workers:

Brexit: Ministers 'filling jobs with foreign workers' as immigration fails to slow

THE GOVERNMENT is "filling jobs with foreign workers" and has failed to get a grip of high immigration numbers despite its Brexit promises.

Mass immigration was at the centre of the 2016 referendum campaign and is understood to have become a byword for the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, especially in the country’s more working-class, socially conservative areas, sometimes termed the “left-behind” towns. But figures show there are now more migrants coming to the UK than before the vote, with the share of non-EU migration having risen. 

Brexit: Ministers 'filling jobs with foreign workers' as immigration fails to slow | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

The Expresses reader base are the right, including the anti-immigration ones.

Overall immigration has been lower under Boris (no free movement of people and lower illegal immigration) but those who apply to our points based system are higher. In fact its a lot lower How many people come to the UK each year (including visitors)? - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Last year Boris had it below 30,000 which is at levels Le Penn wanted in France.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Silver said:

Just because the whole world is suffering from a shortage of microchips, supply difficulties, after effects of Covid, the Ukraine war etc, doesnt take away the additional harm Brexit is doing.  It's like saying 'because everyone is limping because they have stones in their shoes, it hardly matters if I cut my feet off'. Everything is additionally more expensive. It why we can't cut VAT to 10% like Spain, or reduce domestic energy prices to little more than they were like France. The UK and Russia are the bottom two performing advanced economies, Russia because it has had sanctions imposed on it, the UK because it imposed sanctions on itself. It is why we never had a post Covid bounce back and why we are about to enter a prolonged recession:

 

Please do research before posting factually incorrect claims. The UK has enjoyed good growth of GDP this year. Its ahead of the Eurozone, and the US is in recession.

As for inflation that is driven by a shortage of supply combined with high demand. The last thing on Earth we should do is cut VAT as that will send the high demand even higher, and in turn drive up inflation more. The only solution available is to increase supply (end Russian sanctions) combined with raising taxes and cutting state spending (to reduce demand).

Thats exactly the opposite of what low income households want, but thats economics. As for Russia the sanctions are not working so its pointless keeping them. I really cannot believe the idiots implemented them without thinking through how it would impact ourselves.

Edited by Cookie Monster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next they'll blame brexit for the drought in the UK. 

Other than an extra 30 minute queue at the airport, Brexit has had zero impact on me and nobody I know has been affected, including one international importer / exporter who comments, "just a bit of extra paperwork"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be far, Brexit IS going better than expected (based on a hard Brexit scenario which was as logical as jumping naked into a pool of lava and expecting to come out looking like a fairy with a few shiny bits on your slender legs, breasts just right, and a lots of flowing blonde hair - even though you used to be a fat git called Boris Johnson) - which basically was hell on Earth and the end of all life as we know it.

We are not all yet dead.  Many of use still have jobs.  Some of us can even afford food.   Several people anticipate having enough money to have the central heating on for an hour a week this winter.  And only a few of us have had to sell our children as pig food.     It could have been much worse.  So, by definition, it's going better than expected.  

(obviously in almost all other multiverse scenarios, it goes much better, but hey, somewhere has to be the one where Boris actually got elected and didnt get eaten by a mutant star goat)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2022 at 8:04 PM, Silver said:

 

The EU price cap is only useful if there is gas to use and the amount subsidised by governments for customers wont be costing, apparently generous, EU politian's much if Russia continue their present supply strategy as there will be no gas. ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of 'yays/nays'. Was referendum illegitimate? Majority said 'yes' for brexit. So what the ef** it still the issue? Brits chose brexit, case closed, unless someone isn't pleased with democracy. For efs sake, brits chose, period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.