Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

This New Paranormal Docuseries Stalks the Swamp for Bigfoot's Cousin

rashore

No legend is more well-known across the United States than that of Bigfoot. Described as ape-like and humanoid, this hulking, hairy creature has been most commonly spotted in the west, in areas such as Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. In other regions, similar creatures have varying names, such as Sasquatch, Grassman, and Momo. In Florida, this variation—or the "cousin" of Bigfoot—is known as the Skunk Ape.

https://the-line-up.com/the-skunk-ape-experiments

I'm a bit confused now, in documentaries where they are hunting for Bigfoot, such as "Expedition - Unknown", they are saying that Bigfoot has a terrible smell, like a skunk. If the Skunk Ape smells worse than Bigfoot, it must be really really bad... or is the Skunk Ape actually the same as Bigfoot...

• Like 1

Would had been found by now.

Dead bodies, hair samples, feces, you name it.

Also the fact eDNA would have proven its existence long ago.

Unless you're telling me such a creature could hide all evidence of its tracks somehow.

• Like 1

Skunk Ape is a different set of folklore than Bigfoot. Like how Sasquatch, Yeti, and Abominable Snowmen are different from Bigfoot. Bigfoot is the most recently coined term, coming from the U.S- and it's used as the general umbrella term for all the different kinds of bipedal/humanoid folklore. A bit like how many people call all facial tissue Kleenex instead of calling the facial tissue by it's own brand name or as facial tissue. Bigfoot folklore tends to be an Americanized mashup of all the other folklores, often picking up whatever local lore there is for that particular kind of BF. It's part of the reason why local folklores tend to be more consistent with their descriptions in stories, and BF tends to have a lot of different attributes depending on who and where those stories are. 

The skunk ape folklore has them notably smaller than BF. Well within regular human height range, more slender or closer to human proportions, and they aren't always noted for having large feet. I don't know which episodes Expedition Unknown says that BF smells like skunk, but it may be likely their folklore base pulls it from the skunk ape folklore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MysteryMike said:

Would had been found by now.

Dead bodies, hair samples, feces, you name it.

Also the fact eDNA would have proven its existence long ago.

Unless you're telling me such a creature could hide all evidence of its tracks somehow.

I would think, with the number of groups out looking for <insert cryptid> something other than bear tracks would be found.

On a MonsterQuest episode "Swamp Beast" S1 E9, investigators staked out a dead deer and filmed it using a time-lapse camera.  In only seven days, flies alone reduced it to bones and a few scraps of fur.

Also, don't ya know, Bigfoot can cloak itself or shape-shift into a bear (Bigfoot Expedition on Discovery+) (of course, why it would shape-shift if it can cloak itself, they never explained)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Portre said:

investigators staked out a dead deer and filmed it using a time-lapse camera.  In only seven days, flies alone reduced it to bones and a few scraps of fur.

I either saw that or something very similar because I am not sure I saw it on MonsterQuest. But yeh, it is amazing how fast the deer just... evaporated! it seems.

8 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I believe Skunk Apes are the escaped orangutans.

Skunk ape - Wikipedia

Orangutans display significant sexual dimorphism; females typically stand 115 cm (3 ft 9 in) tall and weigh around 37 kg (82 lb), while adult males stand 137 cm (4 ft 6 in) tall and weigh 75 kg (165 lb). Compared to humans, they have proportionally long arms, a male orangutan having an arm span of about 2 m (6.6 ft), 
----------------------------------------

Not big enough, my man.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Portre said:

On a MonsterQuest episode "Swamp Beast" S1 E9, investigators staked out a dead deer and filmed it using a time-lapse camera.  In only seven days, flies alone reduced it to bones and a few scraps of fur.

We've found dead bears, deer, wolves, cougars, all megafauna that's been known for years but never any skunk ape or bigfoot bodies? No creature as big as a bear could remain undetected today except deep in the ocean.

If we can come across dead bodies of those, surely we would have with a dead skunk ape or bigfoot by now.

Nevermind the fact too we there's not even any fossil record of a bipedal primate existing in the New World. Why have we not found any fossils of such a creature?

Even then eDNA alone would have proven such creatures existed long ago. Hell it would have proven most if not all cryptids were real by now. The fact too Native Americans would of have parts of their bodies as ornaments and wearing.

Edited by MysteryMike

22 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I believe Skunk Apes are the escaped orangutans.

Skunk ape - Wikipedia

Could be but I would then expect to read about escaped orangs?

2 minutes ago, Portre said:

Could be but I would then expect to read about escaped orangs?

They hide, and then they are called for Skunk Apes if someone briefly see them.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:58 AM, fred_mc said:

I'm a bit confused now, in documentaries where they are hunting for Bigfoot, such as "Expedition - Unknown", they are saying that Bigfoot has a terrible smell, like a skunk. If the Skunk Ape smells worse than Bigfoot, it must be really really bad... or is the Skunk Ape actually the same as Bigfoot...

I'm not sure how much crossover there is between Bigfoot and Swamp Ape hunters. They (except BFRO) seem to specialize. I guess what I'm saying is if you smelled a Bigfoot then some years later encounter a Swamp Ape. would you be able to distinguish the two.  This won't be resolved until we get them side by side.

2 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

They hide, and then they are called for Skunk Apes if someone briefly see them.

Someone would be missing their orang.  Would they not report it?

14 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Not big enough, my man.

Ask a man about the size of his pecker, and you'll know he will exaggarate its size.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Portre said:

Not if they set it free to be rid of it.

10 minutes ago, Portre said:

Look at the image I posted. It's the most famous image of the skunk ape ever. The skunk ape's Patty (PGF). But, it's no doubt that it is a image of an orangutan.

Edited by jethrofloyd

22 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Look at the image I posted. It's the most famous image of the skunk ape ever. The skunk ape's Patty (PGF). But, it's no doubt that it is a image of an orangutan.

I am not saying you are wrong and the image you posted looks to me like an orangutan but it can't be the whole story.  Seminole tribe has stories of a creature resembling a Skunk Ape.  Europeans newly arrived in the area told tales of encountering beasts similar to Skunk Ape.  Skunk Apes reportedly range from Florida to Louisiana.  If these accounts are true, there's more out there than abandoned "forest people".

On 8/10/2022 at 9:39 AM, rashore said:

Skunk Ape is a different set of folklore than Bigfoot. Like how Sasquatch, Yeti, and Abominable Snowmen are different from Bigfoot. Bigfoot is the most recently coined term, coming from the U.S- and it's used as the general umbrella term for all the different kinds of bipedal/humanoid folklore. A bit like how many people call all facial tissue Kleenex instead of calling the facial tissue by it's own brand name or as facial tissue. Bigfoot folklore tends to be an Americanized mashup of all the other folklores, often picking up whatever local lore there is for that particular kind of BF. It's part of the reason why local folklores tend to be more consistent with their descriptions in stories, and BF tends to have a lot of different attributes depending on who and where those stories are. 

The skunk ape folklore has them notably smaller than BF. Well within regular human height range, more slender or closer to human proportions, and they aren't always noted for having large feet. I don't know which episodes Expedition Unknown says that BF smells like skunk, but it may be likely their folklore base pulls it from the skunk ape folklore. 

I simply don't find this to be what the folklore states. The yeti is a westernized construct, the abominable snowman a mistranslation.  The actual creature is the na nay gö which has zero reemblance to the bigfoot of North America. The skunk ape is another construct unrelated to reality.

• 2 months later...
I have been a woods rat nearly all my life. I always wanted to see a bigfoot or any sort of odd thing. I love the woods at night and am very comfortable in them in the dark. The closest that I've come was being someplace where and when a bigfoot was sighted...I'm almost certain that THAT bigfoot was me and my german shepherd.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:58 PM, fred_mc said:

Bigfoot is known to smell like skunk spray combined with feces and rotting meat; truly pungent and horrible. Now add to that the smell of wet dog hair, swamp mud, and decaying vegetable matter, and you have Swampfoot.

On 8/12/2022 at 2:48 AM, Portre said:

If their orangutan was an illegal import they might just try to find it themselves, then give up in disgust when they realized they had no hope.  If a number of orangutans escaped at the same time, they might even start breeding in the wild as an introduced species.