Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Mysterious Wall In Georgia That Still Baffles Archaeologists To This Day

rashore

In the modern world, it can sometimes feel like there are no mysteries left. After all, we have basically all the knowledge known to man available in our pockets at any time, so what’s left to discover? However, there are still some unknowns out there, and a few of them are right here in the Peach State! One of the most baffling archaeological finds in Georgia is at the beautiful Fort Mountain State Park. This park offers great opportunities for recreation and is also home to a mysterious wall whose history is largely unknown.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/georgia/destination-that-baffles-archaeologists-ga/

• Like 5

Georgia's Tourism Dept. did a nice job on that one :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I do know that rock walls in Africa and the Middle East were used to concentrate and herd game animals into an ambush site. The Native Americans perhaps did the same here, to aid in hunting deer.

• Like 2

There are other walls built for unknown purposes:

.... there are other mysterious walls in North California but not just in the San Francisco Bay Area. Instead, these series of walls may stretch as far as the Oregon border. After meandering throughout the Oakland hills, the walls head inland towards Mt. Diablo, where we encounter mysterious stone circles up to 30 feet in diameter. 

Mystery Of Great Wall Of California: An Ancient Unsolved Enigma - Ancient Pages

Edited by Silver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver said:

There are other walls built for unknown purposes:

.... there are other mysterious walls in North California but not just in the San Francisco Bay Area. Instead, these series of walls may stretch as far as the Oregon border. After meandering throughout the Oakland hills, the walls head inland towards Mt. Diablo, where we encounter mysterious stone circles up to 30 feet in diameter. 

Mystery Of Great Wall Of California: An Ancient Unsolved Enigma - Ancient Pages

Apparently, they might have been intended to help with livestock; and also to act as somewhere convenient to put stones retrieved during ground-clearance.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Windowpane said:

Apparently, they might have been intended to help with livestock; and also to act as somewhere convenient to put stones retrieved during ground-clearance.

Yep, good thinking. I would imagine they have something to do with farming. Croatia loves stone walls:The tiny Croatian island that has more than 23 kilometers of walls and looks like a fingerprint from above the air. (labrujulaverde.com) Web pages like to create mysteries for clicks.

Edited by Silver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silver said:

Yep, good thinking. I would imagine they have something to do with farming. Croatia loves stone walls:The tiny Croatian island that has more than 23 kilometers of walls and looks like a fingerprint from above the air. (labrujulaverde.com) Web pages like to create mysteries for clicks.

Holy crap that's cool. Was thinking of going abroad soon that looks sweet. Nice find dude. :tsu:

• Like 4

This site says the wall in Georgia was likely ceremonial, since it fails to be an effective defensive structure most of its length.

https://lostworlds.org/fort_mountain/

The wall is believed to have been built around 400 A.D. and to have had a ceremonial function since it lacks certain characteristics necessary for defensive purposes.

Also that several such walls exist up on various mountains. So unlikely to be for fields of livestock. Especially up on steep(ish) mountainsides, and built before North America had actual livestock. 

Also references the legend of the Moon Eyed people.

The Cherokee Indians who later inhabited these mountains have a legend that says the stone wall was constructed by a race of “moon-eyed” people. They also said that these people were nocturnal and lived underground, only coming out at night. These people were supposedly tall, light-skinned and had beards. Could there be any truth to such legends?

Edited by DieChecker

12 hours ago, DieChecker said:

This site says the wall in Georgia was likely ceremonial, since it fails to be an effective defensive structure most of its length.

https://lostworlds.org/fort_mountain/

Also that several such walls exist up on various mountains. So unlikely to be for fields of livestock. Especially up on steep(ish) mountainsides, and built before North America had actual livestock. 

Also references the legend of the Moon Eyed people.

There's so much wrong with that article I don't have time for it......

• Like 4

On 8/11/2022 at 5:06 AM, Silver said:

People I know who have been to Croatia say it is very nice. And the food is...interesting:20 dishes you absolutely have to try | Croatian Food | Time Out Croatia

Croatia is off the list of places the Hats Clan will ever visit again. 
My brother went, discovered he had cancer there. 
My Sister-in-law went almost got murdered. 
We’re not giving that country a “third time’s the charm”.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Croatia is off the list of places the Hats Clan will ever visit again. 
My brother went, discovered he had cancer there. 
My Sister-in-law went almost got murdered. 
We’re not giving that country a “third time’s the charm”.

I'm sorry about all this. How can someone discover they have cancer on holiday? Did he catch it there, or did he go to a hospital and it was diagnosed there? And how does 'almost getting murdered' work? Assault? It all sounds mysterious and unpleasant. My father-in-law went to Australia once when he was a young man, now he is dying after a stroke, I think I will give it a miss! Can't be too careful!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silver said:

I'm sorry about all this. How can someone discover they have cancer on holiday? Did he catch it there, or did he go to a hospital and it was diagnosed there? And how does 'almost getting murdered' work? Assault? It all sounds mysterious and unpleasant. My father-in-law went to Australia once when he was a young man, now he is dying after a stroke, I think I will give it a miss! Can't be too careful!

Good idea, your FIL is lucky to have not been eaten by the trees or assaulted by the mice.

as for how he discovered he has cancer - lump in the balls.
as for “almost murdered”  - knock on the hotel door she ignored because she was in the shower. Crazy Dude was knocking on hotel doors and stabbing anyone who opened them.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Good idea, your FIL is lucky to have not been eaten by the trees or assaulted by the mice.

as for how he discovered he has cancer - lump in the balls.
as for “almost murdered”  - knock on the hotel door she ignored because she was in the shower. Crazy Dude was knocking on hotel doors and stabbing anyone who opened them.

I still want to visit Australia, although it is reported it has the most dangerous wildlife in the world, funnel webs in the dunny, blue rings in the sea, etc. Surprised anyone is still alive there.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Silver said:

I still want to visit Australia, although it is reported it has the most dangerous wildlife in the world, funnel webs in the dunny, blue rings in the sea, etc. Surprised anyone is still alive there.

We’re not. 
Aussies are a fever dream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/12/2022 at 6:32 PM, Piney said:

There's so much wrong with that article I don't have time for it......

It appears no real archaeological investigation has ever taken place. I wonder why not. I cannot find anything, except it being built around 4-500 ce, built by 'moon-eyed people, and so on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abramelin said:

It appears no real archaeological investigation has ever taken place. I wonder why not. I cannot find anything, except it being built around 4-500 ce, built by 'moon-eyed people, and so on.

I think it's a 18th Century mountain pasture.

And the part about the Muskogeans was complete BS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Moon Eyed People!?

19 hours ago, Abramelin said:

Quote:

The moon-eyed people are a legendary group of short, bearded white skinned people who are said to have lived in Appalachia until the Cherokee expelled them.

Damn the Cherokee.

And the whole story is turn of the century "fakelore".

• Like 1

Have to look this up.There are stone walls all over the texas Hill Country. They were built I assume to keep farm animals in , as boundary markers as to mark the acrege

of various ranches and farms. Many were built by the german settlers around New Braunfels, Fredricksburg, etc.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, jethrofloyd said:

Is this wall in Geogia visible from the space like the Chinese wall? :D

Yes, but you'll have to use a microscope to study the photos made from space.

• Thanks 1