Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Witches and Pagans be Accorded Religious Freedom?

rashore

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Lots of Amish here too.   They live a loophole lifestyle.   They will own a car if they don't park it on their own property.  They will eat at a restaurant that uses electricity but won't have electricity on their property.  A neighbor of my sis-in-law paws here $40 a month to keep a freezer in her barn for them to keep their food in.   

They only shun useless tech.....sort of....

They pay heavy and logging equipment transporters even though it's small stuff  because they don't drive. The Amish owner of a sawmill we deal with pays somebody to drive him down to our office and the barn and shed builders around here pay a outside driver to move their supplies and workers.

Granted if we want a skidder or a 644 dropped somewhere our NPR can't handle it, but there is no way in Hell we're paying 800 to 2,500 bucks everytime we need a machine dropped. That's nuts!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I completely agree.  It is sad when a protest turns violent or unruly.  

Another one yesterday.   Of all thing people on the left were protesting banning homeless encampments from being near schools.   Screw the children I guess.

A Los Angeles City Council meeting on Tuesday, when members voted to expand on a bill that prevents homeless people from forming encampments near schools, was disrupted by a group of protesters who broke through a security barricade and threatened the lawmakers. 

A recess was called just before the council voted 11-3 to extend an existing ban on homeless encampments within 500 feet of schools and day care centers in Los Angeles, as protesters who claimed the initiative would further isolate and negatively impact the homeless community disrupted the City Council meeting. Two people were arrested, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

"In yet another attack on constitutional democracy, for the second time in a week, a small mob of extremists today again shut down a public meeting of the City Council," Krekorian said. "In the process, they breached a security barrier, physically threatened the Council, and attacked police officers. One of them was arrested two feet from my desk."

A woman breached barriers at the Los Angeles City Council meeting and charged at lawmakers while yelling obscenities. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/protesters-disrupt-los-angeles-city-council-vote-banning-homeless-encampments-near-schools

Sounds like an Insurgency. 

8 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Christians have been trying to ban stuff for decades 

Literally one of the earliest recorded communication between Christians is the discussion as to whether or not to ban gentiles from converting. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bavarian Raven said:

So if a group of pagans disrupted a Christian party in a park, and put an end to it for the day, you don’t think that would make the news???

Hi Bavarian

Wasn’t that long ago there was a thread about Christians singing on a plane for which the carrier made a public apology for the incident. So it likely would hit the news so a thread could be made here would turn into a persecution complex fuelled discussion. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Freedom of religious beliefs is a cornerstone of our founding.

There will come a day when all people will be asked to choose Jesus Christ as head of a new government, which is my belief, but that day is not decided by a secular government.

A Christian theocracy is not possible without a truly supernatural government to match. The Holy Roman Empire was a total failure, and a scarier model than secular government.

The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, Roman nor a empire. It had to do with the Pope going to the Franks for protection because Constantinople couldn't handle it anymore.

As for a government run by your imaginary friend. Not happening.

We traditional NDNs have the highest enlistment rate and provide the best fighters in the American military and we would turn on it. As would the Buddhists if this country ever went theocratic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, Roman nor a empire. It had to do with the Pope going to the Franks for protection because Constantinople couldn't handle it anymore.

We traditional NDNs have the highest enlistment rate and provide the best fighters in the American military and we would turn on it. As would the Buddhists if this country ever went theocratic. 

And they would be joined by a lot of atheists and agnostics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

I don’t see why there should be a problem how is it any different than holding other events?

Right, if someone has  a permit to have an event then any group interferring with that event should be evicted or jailed with the help of law enforcement.   Anyone arrogant enough to show up at someone's event with a megaphone yelling disruptive and disrepectful things is interferring with the event.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Piney said:

The Power of Heaven has no "imaginary friends."  You either choose to imagine the Power exists, or you choose yourself as all powerful. 

The "imaginary" process is already under way. Soon, there won't be a United States of Anything to hang your hat on.

All secular government, world-wide will be subject to systematic failure by an array of natural disasters. If you can't see why you're not all powerful, you will soon figure it out.

Humanism will not be allowed to replace the Resurrection. That's the simple reason why this must occur, and we are on the threshold of self-resurrection, through our technology.

When I lived in Hawaii, I was treated far better by the Buddhists I met than most Christians. 

There’s a modern view of the Gospel, which is perhaps less “religious” in scope, and which some here may find easier to digest. It’s rare we see the political Jesus, and yet He was a politician.

This new series is free ….  and I only provide this link below as an alternative to the purely conservative view that we usually see.

https://thechosen.link/1Y1R7

17 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

BullS*****!   You know that is not how it works.   People would have been arrested and the christians would have made a big deal about their "rights"!

BS nothing. See post 15. Christians are shouted down all the time. 

17 hours ago, odas said:

So, according to you, off to the closet again? Public spaces only for the entiteled?

It’s sad that’s what you took from what I said. 

17 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Most such events lease space by permit.  Leased areas are private.  Others are trespassing and should be arrested for it.  But a $25 fine is not much of a deterrent.

Doug

Yeah true. It depends on the contract signed. Often events like this also come with the stipulation that they can’t prevent anyone from the public to enter. And of course there is the first amendment, which when push comes to shove will usually over rule any deal made for a public area if the party has enough money to fight in court. 

For the record I think it sucks they did this. Live and let live I say. Now if they were recruiting children to join the church of satan I could understand them feeling the need for a protest. Overall though I think in most peoples eyes they just look crazy. Other beliefs exist. Deal with it. Thats between them and God. 

Edited by preacherman76

14 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

And they would be joined by a lot of atheists and agnostics.

Satanists would be right there on the front lines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Piney said:

They only shun useless tech.....sort of....

They pay heavy and logging equipment transporters even though it's small stuff  because they don't drive. The Amish owner of a sawmill we deal with pays somebody to drive him down to our office and the barn and shed builders around here pay a outside driver to move their supplies and workers.

Granted if we want a skidder or a 644 dropped somewhere our NPR can't handle it, but there is no way in Hell we're paying 800 to 2,500 bucks everytime we need a machine dropped. That's nuts!

The Amish around me only ride buggies that are not enclosed.  In the rain, sleet, and snow there is a whole family just suffering in the open weather.   An hour or so north, they ride in enclosed buggies.   I asked an Amish guy why they don't have enclosed buggies and he said they were the dumb Amish.  :)  He then told me that at one time, only the wealthy had enclosed carriages.   Seems like a dumb thought to me. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Now if they were recruiting children to join the church of satan I could understand them feeling the need for a protest.

Christians do it to others.  Why should they get upset when it's done t them?

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Satan worshipers do it to others.  Why should they get upset when it is done to them?

I think you can replace the "who"  with almost any group.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Christians, at least in the US,  are very good at pretending to be oppressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HSlim said:

They've been doing it since their religion's inception. Most of the early persecution stories were exaggerated or outright BS and when they were persecuted it wasn't because they were Christians. It was because they were pushy pain in the asses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

They've been doing it since their religion's inception. Most of the early persecution stories were exaggerated or outright BS and when they were persecuted it wasn't because they were Christians. It was because they were pushy pain in the asses.

What do you mean "were?"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HSlim said:

What do you mean "were?"

Yeahhhhh....your right........ We have a ICOC, Truth? Bible Church and Doug Mastriano problem here.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HSlim said:

I think there are many groups, in the US who are good at that.   Christians are 1 of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

All secular government, world-wide will be subject to systematic failure by an array of natural disasters. If you can't see why you're not all powerful, you will soon figure it out.

Only secular governments are affected by natural disasters?

16 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Humanism will not be allowed to replace the Resurrection. That's the simple reason why this must occur, and we are on the threshold of self-resurrection, through our technology.

You're not playing with a full deck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:29 PM, Raptor Witness said:

Freedom of religious beliefs is a cornerstone of our founding.

There will come a day when all people will be asked to choose Jesus Christ as head of a new government, which is my belief, but that day is not decided by a secular government.

A Christian theocracy is not possible without a truly supernatural government to match. The Holy Roman Empire was a total failure, and a scarier model than secular government.

Does Joe Blow still get to beat up his wife?

• Thanks 1