Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Salt Might Be the Key to Extraterrestrial Life

Grim Reaper 6

The composition of the atmosphere, particularly the abundance of greenhouse gases, has an impact on the Earth’s climate. Purdue University researchers led by Stephanie Olson, assistant professor of earth, atmospheric, and planetary sciences, have discovered that the presence of salt in seawater can also have a significant impact on the habitability of Earth and other planets. The researchers utilized a climate model to analyze the climates of planets with varying quantities of salt dissolved in seawater in order to predict that saltier oceans result in warmer climates, which may help a planet’s ability to sustain life.

This study concentrated on how the quantity of salt dissolved in seawater impacts global climate. The scientists discovered that saltier waters resulted in warmer climates. This salt might have been a key factor in early Earth’s habitability when the sun was less bright.

https://scitechdaily.com/salt-might-be-the-key-to-extraterrestrial-life/

• Like 1

Maybe I missed something in the article...but...

Where exactly are all the other planets with oceans?  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 12:49 PM, joc said:

Maybe I missed something in the article...but...

Where exactly are all the other planets with oceans?  

You didn't miss it, because it wasn't in the article.

• Like 1

Then What Up with the title of the thread?

Salt Might Be the Key to Extraterrestrial Life

What does salt in the ocean have to do with Extraterrestrial Life.  Just me thinking again but;  an  Ocean might be the actual key to  life.  I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say...no Ocean...no Life.  

Edited by joc