Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question about a particular type of experience.

Questing

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

In all seriousness, there is some literature that suggests that alien absuction could be the confabilation of something more sinister.

Not sure what you mean, isnt confabilation just a colorful name for making up stuff to fill in lack of a memory?

I dont think there is one blanket explanation for claims of alien abductions i do not believe they are aliens or paranormal explanations and will wait for what you mean by sinister.

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

I believe people think they see stuff not really there or that they cant explain but i see no reason to make some jump that it just has to be paranormal with no other opinions thats just too closed minded for my taste.

The simply fact there is zero evidence to support alien abduction but there is evidence to support its in the mind of the believers and is of their mind.

This is why, in my case, I spoke with three different psychologists at three different times (2012, 2015, 2018) who had an interest in this stuff, to see what they had to say regarding everything that's gone on in my life to date. The first one told me - "Believe me, if there's a problem I'm going to tell you." I said - "Fine with me." Bottom line - not a psychological problem all three times, and the last one held a PhD..

Yes, sometimes there can be a "problem" with "experiences" ... and now it has to be figured out what's wrong. Regarding alien abductions (the deliberately scary ones), depending on the time and scene, it COULD BE endogenous DMT (dimethyltryptamine) creating "dreams" on whatever level. Ever hear of this? We have a natural hallucinogen in our system, that, if the amount rises, can give you some scary stuff in you head. You read about abductions allegedly happening in someone's bedroom while they sleep, this now becomes residual information in your head, and while you sleep these ideas are circling around - dmt levels rise - and, the next thing you know you think it's happening to you.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6088236/

Whether you believe in the paranormal or not, it's still there, and as said, the private research I did on this subject verified it. If YOU want answers - you're going to have to do it too. Just be careful when you open the door ... you never know who is gonna walk in. 1jEHtdI.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Questing said:

Yes, sometimes there can be a "problem" with "experiences" ... and now it has to be figured out what's wrong. Regarding alien abductions (the deliberately scary ones), depending on the time and scene, it COULD BE endogenous DMT (dimethyltryptamine) creating "dreams" on whatever level. Ever hear of this? We have a natural hallucinogen in our system, that, if the amount rises, can give you some scary stuff in you head. You read about abductions allegedly happening in someone's bedroom while they sleep, this now becomes residual information in your head, and while you sleep these ideas are circling around - dmt levels rise - and, the next thing you know you think it's happening to you.

This paper only speculates that if a system that causes increased DMT levels in the body is ever found (it hasn't), it might explain "certain symptoms" of sleep disorders and possibly schizophrenia. In the four years since the paper was published, no such system has been found: "However, there has yet to be any clear-cut or repeatable correlation of the presence or level of DMT in peripheral body fluids with any psychiatric diagnosis."

Edited by astrobeing
  • Like 1

I talked with Dr Richard Strassman back when I was looking into this, regarding certain "states" that people find themselves in - he told me:
"We don't know very much about the endogenous DMT system. But to the
extent that non-drug states resemble those brought on by a range of
doses of DMT, it makes sense there are common mechanisms at work."

They still (as far as I know) don't know where it comes from ... but it is there.

https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.159.8.1448

5 hours ago, Questing said:

This is why, in my case, I spoke with three different psychologists at three different times (2012, 2015, 2018) who had an interest in this stuff, to see what they had to say regarding everything that's gone on in my life to date. The first one told me - "Believe me, if there's a problem I'm going to tell you." I said - "Fine with me." Bottom line - not a psychological problem all three times, and the last one held a PhD..

Whether you believe in the paranormal or not, it's still there, and as said, the private research I did on this subject verified it. If YOU want answers - you're going to have to do it too. Just be careful when you open the door ... you never know who is gonna walk in. 1jEHtdI.gif

Nice way to look both pompous and ignorant to assume what another person has or has not researched. You remind me of the highschool kids who came into the botanical hunting spells.

Your research supports paranormal for you mine done over a 40 plus years shows the opposite to me and never once has any paranormal claim been proven the  explanation yet i keep an open door for any supportive evidence to be presented.

As far as alien abuctions go i agrer they are in the minds of the believers hallucinogens is just one of the explanations you might want to read up on the work of people like Michael A. Persinger and Dr, Susan Blackmore and since it impresses you they have letters after their names.

You might also enjoy the works of whitley strieber a writer who doesnt have a line of demarcation between fiction and reality but makes a great living off it.

57 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Nice way to look both pompous and ignorant to assume what another person has or has not researched. You remind me of the highschool kids who came into the botanical hunting spells.

I'm done with this place. Maybe somewhere out there intelligent conversations exist - but I doubt it. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Questing said:

I'm done with this place. Maybe somewhere out there intelligent conversations exist - but I doubt it. 

Try not to blame this wonderful forum because you dont like the fact i have a different opinion than you do and can back up my opinions, and you like to dish it but cant take it it would be better just to place me on "ignore".

Edited by the13bats
#$%%#$ typo
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Questing said:

I talked with Dr Richard Strassman back when I was looking into this, regarding certain "states" that people find themselves in - he told me:
"We don't know very much about the endogenous DMT system. But to the
extent that non-drug states resemble those brought on by a range of
doses of DMT, it makes sense there are common mechanisms at work."

There are many things in the universe that make sense but are completely untrue or are completely unproven. That's why we use double blind experiments to determine what is true instead of someone just assuming it's true because it "makes sense". I'm sure Dr. Richard Strassman would agree that there is no evidence to support that DMT is the cause of these mental states and he is just speculating.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:40 PM, the13bats said:

Not sure what you mean, isnt confabilation just a colorful name for making up stuff to fill in lack of a memory?

I dont think there is one blanket explanation for claims of alien abductions i do not believe they are aliens or paranormal explanations and will wait for what you mean by sinister.

Instead of aliens it could be "The Spiderman"