Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any one REALLY worried about the coming cost of living crisis?

Silver

Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert) is warning of civil unrest.

Energy bills may reach £400 per month.

Inflation may reach double digits.

Drought throughout Europe.

Ukraine war putting up the prices of food, fertilizer and fuel throughout the world.

Mortgages going up.Rents going up. Homelessness going up.

Increasing numbers of foodbanks, and less supplies for them.

Immigrants crossing the channel increasing to thousands per month.

The UK government has gone into hibernation.

Any one really worried, or will we get through it by next summer?

• Like 3

I am really, really worried. There will be civil unrest, for sure, and it will make the Poll Tax riots look like a picnic in the park. Heads may possibly, quite literally, roll(I hope they do).

When you've got less than nothing, hardly anything to eat and a freezing cold home, you've got nothing to lose.

Did you see the representatives of the energy 'giants' strolling away from yesterday's meeting with the government after having told them there was nothing they could do to ease the situation? I hope they all die a slow, hideous death!

We might well 'get through it by next summer' but few will be unscathed, many will have died and if the situation isn't properly resolved by then, it will all start up again in the winter of 2023.

Lack of heating will mean that schools and many businesses will have to close at least some of the time. How are hospitals going to manage? Millions won't be able to afford any sort of a Christmas. The numbers of suicides will go up. I could go on but I'm making myself depressed now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Silver what are your thoughts? Are you really worried?

@ouija ouijaI think we are in for a difficult time, with complications we the public are not aware of yet- for example, businesses don't have an energy price cap and are charged about twice the amount domestic users are charged- so pubs may have to close with more redundancies, for example.

We also have the worst politicians we have had for decades so they wouldn't be able to do much.

Starmer refuses to give an opinion on anything in case he alienates potential voters.

Our PM was asked to stand down by his own ministers as they felt the public could not bear any more corruption and lies, so he has now gone on holiday until his time ends.

Truss and Sunak are pandering to the Tory Party members who are generally elderly and wealthy- Liz's plan to cut income tax and remove the NI increase is designed to appeal to the wealthy- it won't help pensioners as they pay no NI and little tax. People are starting to get angry that the wealthy seem immune to the problems they face- I have read that Sunak is today opening his £400K swimming pool in the garden of one of his houses, while public swimming pools have been closed due to cutbacks. MPs can claim their energy bills on expenses if they have a pied-a-terre in London- so us tax payers are in effect paying their bills as well as our own. Was it Kwasi Kwarteng who claimed £7k last year to heat his horses stables?

Sunak was caught on camera boasting he had diverted funds from deprived areas to wealthy towns like Tunbridge Wells (possibley illegally if it was investigated)  and promised to do it even more in the future if they made him PM.

They are all, Truss, Braverman, Rees Mogg, etc, blaming civil servants for all sorts of failings (Liz even said they were anti-Semitic today) which is just to divert the blame from themselves.

The people crossing the Channel are increasing to about a thousand a month- this will cause tensions as the public were told immigration would go down or stop after Brexit.

I know the government aren't responsible for Covid or the Ukraine war, but we elect a government to do forward planning and try to protect people from financial shocks- this government has always been consumed by in-fighting and have never considered the economy as a whole, they have just made sure they are helping themselves to as much public money as they can.

"We eat one meal each day," he said.

"Most of the light bulbs have been removed. My house is in a very poor state of repair. My mortgage ended two years ago, but we had a shortfall of around £15,000 so we are still trying to pay that.

"I only qualify for the £150 PIP payment, and the £400 energy bills help. I do not qualify for any other help. This winter we will not be able to turn the heating on and, with my poor health, I do not expect to be alive in the spring.

"I hope the government learns from its countless mistakes."

'We eat one meal a day and I've taken all the lightbulbs out. I don't expect to be alive in the spring' (msn.com)

Edited by Silver
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, ouija ouija said:

@Silver what are your thoughts? Are you really worried?

To answer your question directly, the cost of living crisis won't make a jot of difference to me personally. We downsized to an affluent area (Bournemouth), mortgage is paid, cars are paid, we park for free at the beach in the summer.We were lucky to be Boomers who could take advantage of the housing market. I don't even need to buy petrol- I could work from home, if I wanted to work, but I can't be bothered now it is summer. If energy bills went up to £500 per month I would save less, but I wouldn't go short of anything. Our savings will be hit, but we don't have a huge amount and I haven't found anywhere with decent rates yet.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't stop campaigning to help people who are becoming impoverished through Brexit.

Edited by Silver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

"But that doesn't mean I wouldn't stop campaigning to help people who are becoming impoverished through Brexit."

So transparent. :lol:

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 2

This "Brexit" cost of living crisis is pretty far reaching. :rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/20/global-toll-cost-of-living-crisis 

Read the passage about Ireland (still in the EU).

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

It makes me happy that I have made the choices I have in life.

I've always been thrifty.   Do not spend beyond what I should.   Have no debt (credit card or car payment).  Have a decent savings.   Have a great wife and children.  Live in a rural area, but only 1 mile from grocery stores, restaurants and other stores.  I will be able to get through the inflated prices but it is and will continue to be a drain to my savings.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

It makes me happy that I have made the choices I have in life.

I've always been thrifty.   Do not spend beyond what I should.   Have no debt (credit card or car payment).  Have a decent savings.   Have a great wife and children.  Live in a rural area, but only 1 mile from grocery stores, restaurants and other stores.  I will be able to get through the inflated prices but it is and will continue to be a drain to my savings.  

Most of us, 50 and over, are ok. But we were riding also a good wave, nice afordable homes, afordable cars (just in the last 15 years my wife and I had 6 different cars, all new), afordable vacations, food....but that is not the point. The vast majority of the 20 year olds cannot afford a 70 year old house and a 15 year old car without going into depth for the rest of their lives. Your children and my maybe better of, but not the majority.

And we cannot blame it on them, the blame is on corporate greed across the board across this planet.

At our age we forget that we were young too and had dreams. For the most part, if you were just mediocre one could make the dreams come true. Nowdays for the young generation the dreams will stay only dreams no matter how hard you work.

If they do not get the same opportunity like we did, I see a huge revolt coming. And I will support it.

4 minutes ago, odas said:

Most of us, 50 and over, are ok. But we were riding also a good wave, nice afordable homes, afordable cars (just in the last 15 years my wife and I had 6 different cars, all new), afordable vacations, food....but that is not the point. The vast majority of the 20 year olds cannot afford a 70 year old house and a 15 year old car without going into depth for the rest of their lives. Your children and my maybe better of, but not the majority.

And we cannot blame it on them, the blame is on corporate greed across the board across this planet.

At our age we forget that we were young too and had dreams. For the most part, if you were just mediocre one could make the dreams come true. Nowdays for the young generation the dreams will stay only dreams no matter how hard you work.

If they do not get the same opportunity like we did, I see a huge revolt coming. And I will support it.

I think there is enough blame to go around and yes, some of it goes on them.  It stems from poor parenting but it is on them now.   The amount of young people who spend beyond their means is outrageous.  New cars with car payments, electronics and nearly everything else.    It's a bit of their thinking they are entitled to have the best stuff now.  My 24 year old daughter sees it all the time.  A couple of her friends go out to eat almost every day instead of cooking at home.  They will go spend $25 on dinner and my daughter will cook a meal for herself AND her husband for $10.  It seems small, but living thrifty allows people to save allot of money.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think there is enough blame to go around and yes, some of it goes on them.  It stems from poor parenting but it is on them now.   The amount of young people who spend beyond their means is outrageous.  New cars with car payments, electronics and nearly everything else.    It's a bit of their thinking they are entitled to have the best stuff now.  My 24 year old daughter sees it all the time.  A couple of her friends go out to eat almost every day instead of cooking at home.  They will go spend $25 on dinner and my daughter will cook a meal for herself AND her husband for $10.  It seems small, but living thrifty allows people to save allot of money.  

I understand that some people spend money on things they could avoid. But here is a quick overview of what happened in the last 15, 17years only.

In 2006 I payed for my three bedroom house 130000 can.d. I made about 48000 a year.

Now my house would go for about 650000. I make now about 60000 a year. I would not be able to buy my own house now. I would not be able to afford it.

My two older daughters are married and have their own homes. My youngest was renting a 1 bedroom appartment for 1700/month. She is making 55000/year but after student debt, rent, internet, phone...there was not much left to save. My wife and I were able to talk her into moving back to our place. Now she can save the rent money and either buy an appartment or we sell and buy a house together with seperate entrances. That is all we can do for her. It is a shame that a 25 year old still relays, without any of her fault, on her parents. The shame is not on her, she did and still does everything right. The shame is on the corporations, banks and governments.

9 minutes ago, odas said:

I understand that some people spend money on things they could avoid. But here is a quick overview of what happened in the last 15, 17years only.

In 2006 I payed for my three bedroom house 130000 can.d. I made about 48000 a year.

Now my house would go for about 650000. I make now about 60000 a year. I would not be able to buy my own house now. I would not be able to afford it.

My two older daughters are married and have their own homes. My youngest was renting a 1 bedroom appartment for 1700/month. She is making 55000/year but after student debt, rent, internet, phone...there was not much left to save. My wife and I were able to talk her into moving back to our place. Now she can save the rent money and either buy an appartment or we sell and buy a house together with seperate entrances. That is all we can do for her. It is a shame that a 25 year old still relays, without any of her fault, on her parents. The shame is not on her, she did and still does everything right. The shame is on the corporations, banks and governments.

Good for your daughter for trying.  Living with you can save you both lots of money.   That is one of the things I think young people have been missing out on.  Live with your parents and save lots of money.  I have many friends who have kids living in an apartment just a mile or so away from their parents.   I understand the want to get out on your own, but a bit of saving would have really helped them out.  It's different if you have a wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend living with you, of course.  Having 2 incomes supporting 1 apartment leaves money to save.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

Good for your daughter for trying.  Living with you can save you both lots of money.   That is one of the things I think young people have been missing out on.  Live with your parents and save lots of money.  I have many friends who have kids living in an apartment just a mile or so away from their parents.   I understand the want to get out on your own, but a bit of saving would have really helped them out.  It's different if you have a wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend living with you, of course.  Having 2 incomes supporting 1 apartment leaves money to save.  

Yeah, she moved back from Toronto. Also, I am not charging her money. Not in my bosnian nature.We don't charge our kids for bills. But, we do like to drive them crazy. It is fun. My parents told me that. Did not belive them back then, now I do. She does ask all the time and buys stuff for my wife and me. Well, will see what happenes. 

• Like 1

I'm not personally worried, no. I live a pretty frugal life, I live alone, I don't have kids, I don't enjoy holidays particularly, and I like being cold. I shower at the gym, have log burners in the house, and I genuinely think my biggest energy expense is making cups of tea. I can't remember the last time I used the oven or grill.

I'm basically mentally preparing for either some kind of apocalypse of that time when I retire to a hut on an island in the North Sea.

My energy provider tried to triple my direct debit, and when they actually registered my meter readings admitted that they owe me money. I'm more worried about people like my brother who has kids, a big house etc, but they have two incomes.

Still, I'm livid about the whole thing. Its naked profiteering, and like a lot of things over the last few decade, is a culmination of essentially broken government, in the pocket of private business rather than caring about the wellbeing of citizens.

• Like 2

I would be a little more worried about rivers drying up all over the world. 

In the US over a third of farmers and ranchers say drought has had a significant negative impact on their harvest.   In some areas stockmen have been selling herds and farmers plowing under crops that will not mature.

I suspect that is going on in other parts of the world as well.  Food is going to become more than just an issue of higher prices.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 10:17 AM, Silver said:

Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert) is warning of civil unrest.

Energy bills may reach £400 per month.

Inflation may reach double digits.

Drought throughout Europe.

Ukraine war putting up the prices of food, fertilizer and fuel throughout the world.

Mortgages going up.Rents going up. Homelessness going up.

Increasing numbers of foodbanks, and less supplies for them.

Immigrants crossing the channel increasing to thousands per month.

The UK government has gone into hibernation.

Any one really worried, or will we get through it by next summer?

This is inaccurate.

Inflation is already in double digits, house prices are down a quarter not up, immigration is currently around 30,000 per year, and the government is not in hibernation mode its selecting the new PM.

The problems are being driven mainly by sanctions on Russia which are hurting us more than it. Russia is doing great, it sells less but sells it at really higher prices actually generating more profit than before. I predict a u turn on Russian sanctions, but only once Biden has received a kick-in in November. 

The worst outcome for the western world would be the FBI managing to mount real charges against Trump. It will stop the Democrats getting rid of Biden and replacing him with a better leader.

An estimated 45 million Britons will be forced into fuel poverty and struggle to pay energy bills this winter, new research has found.

Two-thirds of all UK households – or 18 million families – will be plunged into financial precariousness by January due to soaring inflation – which is already at 40-year record high.

According to the study on fuel poverty by the University of York, the region hardest hit will be Northern Ireland with 76.3% of families battling to make ends meet, followed by Scotland at 72.8%, then the West Midlands (70.9%) and Yorkshire and the Humber (70.6%).

The research published by The Guardian newspaper further stated that 86.4% of pensioner couples will fall into fuel poverty. Single parent households with two more more children will bare the brunt at 90.4%.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/forty-five-million-britons-to-be-plunged-into-fuel-poverty-in-winter-study/ar-AA10MvRO?