Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Polio resurgence in New York, 100s of infected.

and-then

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11084629/Hundreds-New-Yorkers-infected-polio-Empire-state-health-chief-warns.html

Polio has effectively been eradicated in America.  It had become exceptionally rare to see a case.  I saw nothing in the article that makes any guess about the source.  The most likely cause would seem to be a new reservoir for the virus being introduced into major cities.  London is also at risk.  Gee, I wonder how this scourge might have been reintroduced?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, and-then said:

Gee, I wonder how this scourge might have been reintroduced?

Liberal Hippie anti-vaxer moms who think polio is a government fake?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Possibly, but they've been around since forever so why is the spread exploding now?  The same thing is occurring with TB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, and-then said:

Possibly, but they've been around since forever so why is the spread exploding now?  The same thing is occurring with TB.

Because people don't bother to get vaccinated?   People today seem to think they are immune to the real world. When I was a kid, there was a boy in my class who had polio and was crippled, then of course, there was Franklin Roosevelt one famous victim.   Our parents knew it was a killer and crippler, so we took vaccines.  Now because it is so rare, it is nearly forgotten.  Polio was all but wiped out, in fact I think only 3 countries have not eradicated it: Pakistan, Nigeria, and Afghanistan. 

• Like 1

I think we had to be vaccinated against polio when I was a kid.  I think I'll ask my Mom.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think we had to be vaccinated against polio when I was a kid.  I think I'll ask my Mom.

They didn't stop until 2000 so I'm sure you did.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, OverSword said:

We did. I remember mine. Two doses on a sugar cube. I was around 4 yrs old, so it was 1959/60. My kids all had the polio vaccine which was a red liquid in a little vial by that time. It was required to start school. I heard they stopped requiring the vaccine about 10 or so years ago. I don't know how true that is.

Edit: Just saw Michelle's post above. I guess they did stop giving it.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

In the U.S., the use of the OPV vaccine was stopped in 2000, although it is still used in many parts of the world.

https://www.newsweek.com/polio-vaccine-still-required-united-states-why-opv-stopped-1727120#:~:text=In the U.S.%2C the use,at protecting against the disease.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, susieice said:

We did. I remember mine. Two doses on a sugar cube. I was around 4 yrs old, so it was 1959/60. My kids all had the polio vaccine which was a red liquid in a little vial by that time. It was required to start school. I heard they stopped requiring the vaccine about 10 or so years ago. I don't know how true that is.

Edit: Just saw Michelle's post above. I guess they did stop giving it.

I remember doing the red liquid in the vial.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, and-then said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11084629/Hundreds-New-Yorkers-infected-polio-Empire-state-health-chief-warns.html

Polio has effectively been eradicated in America.  It had become exceptionally rare to see a case.  I saw nothing in the article that makes any guess about the source.  The most likely cause would seem to be a new reservoir for the virus being introduced into major cities.  London is also at risk.  Gee, I wonder how this scourge might have been reintroduced?

.....in recent decades, some small groups have not vaccinated their children against the virus. One of them is within the ultraorthodox Jewish community in New York, including in Rockland County.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/11/health/polio-cdc-rockland-county/index.html

• Like 3

6 hours ago, and-then said:

I read an article about this not too long ago.  The patient zero was an Orthodox Jew that was unvaccinated and recently returned from the Poland and Hungary.  Polio detected in NYC wastewater as data reveals heavily Orthodox Williamsburg is vulnerable - Jewish Telegraphic Agency (jta.org)

I get being an anti-vaxxer because of religious reasons, but it's sad that a disease that was almost eradicated is making a resurgence.

Edit to change where he visited.

Edited by Gromdor
Fix mistake in location
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

They’re the vector of infection. 
But patient zero is inevitably someone from a nation that never had the resources to conduct a mass vaccination, which without the helpful vectors would have been “a tragic single case of polio” being treated in hospital by experts. 

nevermind - I didn’t see Grom’s above post.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

To my understanding it’s not “anti-Vaxers” that are to blame but people vaccinated by the oral vaccine over seas.

”The New York patient reportedly contracted a form of polio that can be traced back to the live, but weakened, poliovirus used in the oral polio vaccine. This version of the vaccine has not been used in the U.S. since 2000. Health officials said the virus affecting the male patient, who has muscle weakness and paralysis, likely originated somewhere overseas, where oral vaccines are still administered.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-york-polio-case-revives-questions-about-live-oral-vaccine/

I believe that I read that the oral vaccine has a tendency to shed.

A Man Shed Live Polio Virus In His Stool For 28 Years

Polio is almost gone from the face of the earth. The virus is actively circulating in only two countries, Afghanistan and Pakistan. But now there's a worrisome new development in the polio end-game.

In Thursday's edition of the journal PLoS Pathogens, scientists report on a man in the United Kingdom who was immunized with oral polio vaccine as a child and whose stool samples continued to contain live polio virus for 28 years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/08/27/434649466/a-man-shed-live-polio-virus-in-his-stool-for-28-years

• 1 month later...

Health officials in New York are “very, very concerned” about a recent outbreak of polio, the latest in a string of infectious diseases to rattle the state. 

Polio was eradicated in the United States in 1979 thanks to high vaccination rates. But now the disease has been detected in wastewater samples in multiple counties, one man has been irreversibly paralysed, and a state of emergency has been declared. 

The unidentified individual, who was unvaccinated, is thought to be one of hundreds of New Yorkers who have contracted the virus, as paralysis affects only one in every 200 people.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/why-new-york-s-polio-outbreak-has-put-global-experts-on-high-alert/ar-AA12eUxX?

• Like 3

Was curious about my state and found this list. Apparently alot of states do still require polio immunization for public school or childcare centers. New York is one of the states.

https://www.immunize.org/laws/polio.asp

There are religious exceptions though, so it makes sense it would start in the more religious Jewish community 

• Like 2

I think in Pennsylvania the Amish are exempt from the vaccine. There was a minor outbreak about 10 yrs ago. Otherwise, the vaccine is mandatory.

• Like 2