Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Author Salman Rushdie reportedly stabbed before New York speech

Michelle

It'll be interesting to learn about the criminal who stabbed him.  My guess would be that he is a Muslim but we need to wait and see.  

• Like 4

CHAUTAUQUA, N.Y. (AP) — Salman Rushdie, the author whose writing led to death threats from Iran in the 1980s, was attacked and apparently stabbed in the neck Friday by a man who rushed the stage as he was about to give a lecture in western New York.

An Associated Press reporter witnessed a man confront Rushdie on stage at the Chautauqua Institution and begin punching or stabbing him 10 to 15 times as he was being introduced. The 75-year-old author was pushed or fell to the floor, and the man was arrested. 

https://apnews.com/article/salman-rushdie-attacked-9eae99aea82cb0d39628851ecd42227a

• Sad 3

• The title was changed to [Merged] Author Salman Rushdie reportedly stabbed before New York speech
24 minutes ago, Myles said:

It'll be interesting to learn about the criminal who stabbed him.  My guess would be that he is a Muslim but we need to wait and see.  

20220812_100149.jpg

20220812_100145.jpg

• Like 3

No doubt this was done by a right wing extremist, assuming that organized religion is right winged.  That could be a thread topic in itself maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

That's what I'm assuming.

God is all powerful and all knowing yet he needs his followers to do the stabbings for him. Is apparently what this fellow must of believed. 

• Like 1

I hope the old guy makes it.  It will be interesting to see how the perp is charged.  The attack on his neck makes it pretty clear that the intent was murder.

• Like 4

One source said he was stabbed 14 times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

It’ll be an interesting trial - does a fatwa count as a lawful directive?

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

No doubt this was done by a right wing extremist, assuming that organized religion is right winged.  That could be a thread topic in itself maybe.

Not too far from the truth since I believe every organized religion is right winged, not in a good way tho.

One can agree or disagree with Rushdie but to have a bounty on his head and trying to kill him is complete idiocracy. If we all had same point of views and opinions we would be all still in a small village somewhere in Africa hunting bugs with sticks.

Hope Rushdie will be ok.

• Like 2

Rushdie, 75, was taken to surgery, and Andrew Wylie, his spokesperson, said in a statement early Friday evening that the author was put on a ventilator and had suffered significant injuries: “The news is not good. Salman will likely lose one eye; the nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/aug/12/salman-rushdie-attacked-onstage-new-york

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, odas said:

Not too far from the truth since I believe every organized religion is right winged, not in a good way tho.

One can agree or disagree with Rushdie but to have a bounty on his head and trying to kill him is complete idiocracy. If we all had same point of views and opinions we would be all still in a small village somewhere in Africa hunting bugs with sticks.

Hope Rushdie will be ok.

Yes, one day these people may actually move into the 21st century, not holding my breath though.

• Like 1

The only question: what security he/she/men were doing? Venue organizers knew who Rushdie is, don't they?

Organizing such event, with the possibility of someone rushing onto the stage, ain't no brainer, 'twasn't black/death/doom metal concert, it was Salman Rushdie, for ef's sake.

[/rant over]

Some grim news, but I hope Salman will survive, and will be well.

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed inflammatory remark
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, acidhead said:

She gave assistance AFTER the talk? The pool of blood under him must not have been a good enough sign that he was injured. 

• Confused 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Thread cleaned

Could we keep the comments in this thread civil, respectful and relevant to the topic please.

Best wishes from staunch antitheist schmuck.  I hope he will survive, and will continue his work.

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Salman Rushdie stabbing suspect charged with attempted murder

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62536592

I read he pled not guilty.  If he was so self-righteous about his attack, why would he plead that way?  It always blows my mind that there is video evidence and they plead not guilty :huh:

6 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I read he pled not guilty.  If he was so self-righteous about his attack, why would he plead that way?  It always blows my mind that there is video evidence and they plead not guilty :huh:

Eh, I have no words...

Put him in the deepest pit till he goes to hell.

Still no news about Salman's state. Prays and wishes won't probably work, but I pray for his health.

Salmanai, išsigydik, pasveik.

• Like 1

Will he attempt to get off attempted murder by mounting a defence using the First Amendment with it allowing complete freedom of belief and freedom of religious practice?

Edited by Cookie Monster
  • Like 1

Rumours going around he was a supporter of the IRGC though he was not part of the group's the attacker I mean

How does anybody take the MSM seriously. Apparently 'the motive remains unclear':huh:

Remember when reporting the news was a respected profession?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1