Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tyne Tunnel 'ruins' man's holiday after '103 attempts to pay' as system does not recognise accent

Still Waters

A holidaymaker who travelled through the Tyne Tunnel en route to his caravan holiday in Northumberland has vowed to never use the tunnel again after struggling to pay the £1.90 toll charge over the phone.

Ivor Rodgers claims he read out his vehicle registration number 103 times to the Tyne Tunnel's Interactive Voice Response (IVR) technology. He added that the first two days of his five-day holiday were ruined by fears he would be landed with a £100 fine for being unable to pay the toll within 28 days.

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-08-13/man-makes-103-attempts-to-pay-tyne-tunnel-when-system-doesnt-recognise-accent

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

A holidaymaker who travelled through the Tyne Tunnel en route to his caravan holiday in Northumberland has vowed to never use the tunnel again after struggling to pay the £1.90 toll charge over the phone.

Ivor Rodgers claims he read out his vehicle registration number 103 times to the Tyne Tunnel's Interactive Voice Response (IVR) technology. He added that the first two days of his five-day holiday were ruined by fears he would be landed with a £100 fine for being unable to pay the toll within 28 days.

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-08-13/man-makes-103-attempts-to-pay-tyne-tunnel-when-system-doesnt-recognise-accent

If the machine was tailored to a Geordie accent then he shouldn`t be annoyed, its unintelligible English lol.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

If the machine was tailored to a Geordie accent then he shouldn`t be annoyed, its unintelligible English lol.

:lol:

Anyone from the North is unintelligible to a Southerner and I have to act as a outright translator for my Uncle Ronald, David and @Uncle Yammy in the States.

But at least we don't cover you in spit like a Welshman. Just sterilize your airspace with the alcohol from our breath. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Why didn't he try an RP (Received Pronunciation) accent?

Surely, everyone in England can more-or-less fake a South-East accent.  We hear it on the TV all the time!

Edited by acute
  • Thanks 1

Funny.

Aussies probably would get  the same...

Damn aussie accent, I have to put subtitles on their films/series ))))

11 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

Funny.

Aussies probably would get  the same...

Damn aussie accent, I have to put subtitles on their films/series ))))

We’re not hard to ****ing understand you daft ****, you just need to assume that every other ****ing thing we say is ****ing swearing ;)

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Reminds of the Scottish accent in the voice activated elevator YouTube clip... sadly it can't be posted here due to a bit of bad language... 

18 hours ago, Piney said:

:lol:

Anyone from the North is unintelligible to a Southerner and I have to act as a outright translator for my Uncle Ronald, David and @Uncle Yammy in the States.

But at least we don't cover you in spit like a Welshman. Just sterilize your airspace with the alcohol from our breath. ^_^

Our accent is pure thank you very much. Not our fault we like to water plants as we speak.:unsure2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's from Hull, where I'm originally from. The accent is awful and I can understand why the IVR didn't understand him (or it did, but decided to mess with him for fun).

I have always tried to speak with less of the accent, which has been noted before, but sometimes it slips. Farve instead of five, narn instead of nine, rerd instead of road... you get the picture.

Aaaargh, I'm dying inside just thinking about it. Help me release this demon! 

*runs off to burn sage and bang pots and pans*

• Like 1