Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flixborough timeslip.

Paul 1954

This morning while catching up on my YouTube subscriptions, I noticed an item on the Flixborough disaster in 1974, and this after some online research led me to this site.

On Saturday June 1st 1974, I experienced exactly the same phenomenon  as Lesley Brennan, a woman from Cleethorpes Lincolnshire who saw a TV newsflash about a massive explosion at the Flixborough chemical plant five hours before it actually occurred. At the time I was baffled by this inexplicable occurrence, but as I was just coming up to my twentieth birthday, had just bought a new motorcycle, and had also started dating the girl who would later be my wife I had plenty to keep me occupied and didn't dwell on the matter for very long, also mentioning such things tends to only result in ridicule. 

Ten years or so later I was watching a TV programme and for the first time heard of Lesley Brennan who shared the same timeslip experience as myself, and fortunately had mentioned it to friends before the actual explosion that afternoon, and these friends could later confirm her account. Back then in the days before the internet, it was much harder to track down and make contact with people, but I wish I'd made the effort to get in touch with Lesley, It may have helped us both come to terms with the experience we both shared.

In my online quest to try and find out more about the Flixborough disaster I could find very little  further information and have added what little I could find below, one link includes a post about Reg Presley of "The Troggs" having seen the same newsflash some five hours early. 

This was by far the strangest thing that has ever happened to me and I am both mystified and fascinated by it, if timeslips can occur, does make the possibility of time travel more likely.

https://scenesfromparanormalearth.webs.com/aspecialpremonition.htm

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/phantom-news-broadcasts.9041/

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/46298-newsflash-precognition-or-message/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Welcome to Um, Paul :).

I had a similar experience to you, regarding Nick Leeson, the trader who caused Barings bank to crash in 1995. Before the police had a chance to arrest him, he fled Singapore and was on the run for a while. Eventually he was arrested in Frankfurt and I saw a news item on the tv showing him at an airport, between two policemen, being returned to Singapore for trial . . . . . several days before he was actually caught!

• Like 2

I wouldn't call these "timeslips". Surely, they are premonitions.

To me, a timeslip would be... suddenly finding yourself in a different time and seeing things how they used to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, acute said:

I wouldn't call these "timeslips". Surely, they are premonitions.

To me, a timeslip would be... suddenly finding yourself in a different time and seeing things how they used to be.

Hmm, I don't know. I think the fact that something was on the tv, i.e. not just in the person's mind, is what makes it a timeslip.

• Like 3

This is an timeslip anecdote, not really related to this story: Sometime when I was a late  theteenager, I was returning home from the centre of city. Usualy it took me about 15 minutes walking to my then apartment. I left for my home around 12 at midnight, and I should have been in my home normally for around 12h 15 min after midnight. When I unlockrd door of my home and took off my sneakers, a clock in the kitchen showe exactly 6 hours in the morning! So, almost the 6 hours (5h and 45 min)disappeared somewhere. I went to the bed quite shaken, thinking maybe I feltl asleep on the way to my home, and slept for almost 6 hours? But, it was a winter and very cold, so there's no way that could have happened. I simply concluded that I had fallen into the 'twilight zone' for nearly 6 hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Welcome to Um, Paul :).

I had a similar experience to you, regarding Nick Leeson, the trader who caused Barings bank to crash in 1995. Before the police had a chance to arrest him, he fled Singapore and was on the run for a while. Eventually he was arrested in Frankfurt and I saw a news item on the tv showing him at an airport, between two policemen, being returned to Singapore for trial . . . . . several days before he was actually caught!

Hello Ouija, and thank you for the welcome and your reply. I was interested to hear you've had the same type of experience as myself, makes you wonder how common this sort of event could be, as it's not the sort of thing that most people would  normally bring up in conversation, It's hard to know.

In my case learning some years later that someone else had experienced exactly the same phenomenon as myself  was both surprising, and in a way reassuring. I didn't for a moment think I'd imagined the newsflash, but knowing someone else's TV over two hundred miles away picked up the same signal at the same time, gave me the comfort of confirming the experience, and of not feeling alone.

When my online search yesterday turned up a third witness to the Flixborough TV broadcast, I think I signed on to this forum in the hope of discovering if this event or similar ones were not as rare as I'd believed, and if anyone could offer a plausible theory of how this type of event could happen.
  • Like 1

Phantom Broadcasts, has happened before and all over the world.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 9:11 PM, jethrofloyd said:

This is an timeslip anecdote, not really related to this story: Sometime when I was a late  theteenager, I was returning home from the centre of city. Usualy it took me about 15 minutes walking to my then apartment. I left for my home around 12 at midnight, and I should have been in my home normally for around 12h 15 min after midnight. When I unlockrd door of my home and took off my sneakers, a clock in the kitchen showe exactly 6 hours in the morning! So, almost the 6 hours (5h and 45 min)disappeared somewhere. I went to the bed quite shaken, thinking maybe I feltl asleep on the way to my home, and slept for almost 6 hours? But, it was a winter and very cold, so there's no way that could have happened. I simply concluded that I had fallen into the 'twilight zone' for nearly 6 hours.

I've heard quite a few similar stories and the term 'missing time' is often used for these experiences. Many alien abductee claim 'missing time' experiences for example. Just pointing that out and not making any guesses on your experience. Maybe your clock was malfunctioning or did you confirm it was really 6:00?

17 hours ago, Paul 1954 said:

Hello Ouija, and thank you for the welcome and your reply. I was interested to hear you've had the same type of experience as myself, makes you wonder how common this sort of event could be, as it's not the sort of thing that most people would  normally bring up in conversation, It's hard to know.

In my case learning some years later that someone else had experienced exactly the same phenomenon as myself  was both surprising, and in a way reassuring. I didn't for a moment think I'd imagined the newsflash, but knowing someone else's TV over two hundred miles away picked up the same signal at the same time, gave me the comfort of confirming the experience, and of not feeling alone.

When my online search yesterday turned up a third witness to the Flixborough TV broadcast, I think I signed on to this forum in the hope of discovering if this event or similar ones were not as rare as I'd believed, and if anyone could offer a plausible theory of how this type of event could happen.

From your story and Lesley Brennan's story I feel it is highly likely that something not explainable in our straightforward understanding of reality occurred.

Certainly, any explanation is over my head, but I just have to wonder if the fact that it was a disaster could have some connection with the claim that animals sense impending disasters before they occur and take action avoiding death from earthquakes, tsunamis, etcetera.

For one, I am convinced reality is ultimately something far deeper than our straightforward understanding.

• Thanks 1

Its a shame with the number of such stories whatever you call them, that there is not any evidence to support this is anything except poor memories mind tricks,

If someone has proof please do post it but a claim a story of course isnt proof.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the13bats said:

Its a shame with the number of such stories whatever you call them, that there is not any evidence to support this is anything except poor memories mind tricks,

If someone has proof please do post it but a claim a story of course isnt proof.

What more evidence could be expected than what we have (a multiple witness corroboration). You may likely say you need 'something more than...' without describing what that 'something more' can even look like.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

What more evidence could be expected than what we have (a multiple witness corroboration). You may likely say you need 'something more than...' without describing what that 'something more' can even look like.

Witnesses no matter the number with zero tangible evidence do not support a claim that is still just a story,

If i wanted to prove i can predict the future i would make a specific claim and date example, within the next 3 days time PG will rate a ridiculous claim with no supporting evidence likely paranormal.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Witnesses no matter the number with zero tangible evidence do not support a claim that is still just a story,

What kind of tangible evidence could there ever be in a case like this. Think about that.

In the end all we should expect to have is the type of multiple witness evidence we have here and then we are left to form our own judgment. I don't hear anyone claiming 'proof' but rather strong evidence so for you to say it is not 'proof' is not saying anything disputed.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

What kind of tangible evidence could there ever be in a case like this. Think about that.

In the end all we should expect to have is the type of multiple witness evidence we have here and then we are left to form our own judgment. I don't hear anyone claiming 'proof' but rather strong evidence so for you to say it is not 'proof' is not saying anything disputed.

This is just as half baked as your blind faith in ME.

All you have are stories and those credulous enough to believe stories, you lost me way back the first time you claimed your memory is perfect and cannot fail or be wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

This is just as half baked as your blind faith in ME.

All you have are stories and those credulous enough to believe stories, you lost me way back the first time you claimed your memory is perfect and cannot fail or be wrong.

Good thing I never claimed that or I would be a disbeliever in even my own reasoning skills. lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Good thing I never claimed that or I would be a disbeliever in even my own reasoning skills. lol.

Im not going to go hunt that richard simmons thread but you did say that, and you said it about your flintstones mistake.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It happens to me pretty often that I see celebrities/well-known persons, being alive, where I feel certain about that I have read or seen that the celebrity in question is dead. Seems to happen to other people too, my father was for example quite surprised to see an actor that he was sure was dead.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

It happens to me pretty often that I see celebrities/well-known persons, being alive, where I feel certain about that I have read or seen that the celebrity in question is dead. Seems to happen to other people too, my father was for example quite surprised to see an actor that he was sure was dead.

Sure sounds like a memory issue or just misinformation not a weird donny darko time slip tangent universe qlitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Sure sounds like a memory issue or just misinformation not a weird donny darko time slip tangent universe qlitch.

Yes, it must be, although I can't say that I have bad memory in general.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, fred_mc said:

Yes, it must be, although I can't say that I have bad memory in general.

That is exactly my point part of my mental issues are OCD ADD etc and associated letters i remember little stupid stuff without trying drives my wife who forgets everything nuts,

However, i will catch myself in memory mistakes moreso the last year its weird alien to me and i could jump and say im perfect so i gotta blame it on paranormal but im not ego controlled and admit the evidence shows im human with memory flaws.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what evidence there would be in a case like this from 1974?

Lesley was watching a movie in the morning when it was interrupted by breaking news about an explosion. She asked her friends later in the day if they had heard about it.

The explosion then happens at 5pm. 

What proof should Lesley have in this circumstance?

On 8/30/2022 at 4:55 PM, Knob Oddy said:

Lesley was watching a movie in the morning when it was interrupted by breaking news about an explosion. She asked her friends later in the day if they had heard about it.

The explosion then happens at 5pm. 

What proof should Lesley have in this circumstance?

Its very hard if not impossible to prove something like this isnt just bad memory when the believer is convinced they are part of some big cool epic thing.

Edited by the13bats

On 8/30/2022 at 9:55 PM, Knob Oddy said:

Well, given it's claimed she was watching a movie that morning, the first thing to do would be to check the TV listings for that day.   And note that there were no movies being broadcast.

ITV & BBC:
https://tvrdb.com/listings/1974-06-01

BBC2:
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/service_bbc_two_england/1974-06-01