Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

At least 40 killed and and 45 injured in Egypt church fire

Still Waters

At least 40 people have been killed and 45 injured in a fire inside a church in the Egyptian city of Giza, according to two security sources.

An electrical fire broke out during mass as 5,000 people gathered at the Coptic Abu Sifin church in the Imbaba neighbourhood on Sunday, the sources told Reuters.

The fire blocked an entrance to the church, causing a stampede, they said, adding that most of those killed were children.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/14/egypt-church-fire-giza

• Sad 9

2 hours ago, Still Waters said:

At least 40 people have been killed and 45 injured in a fire inside a church in the Egyptian city of Giza, according to two security sources.

An electrical fire broke out during mass as 5,000 people gathered at the Coptic Abu Sifin church in the Imbaba neighbourhood on Sunday, the sources told Reuters.

The fire blocked an entrance to the church, causing a stampede, they said, adding that most of those killed were children.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/14/egypt-church-fire-giza

Philopatyr Marcorios(Abu Sifein)

Philopatyr was born in 224 A.D. in the city of Eskentos in Cappadocia (Eastern Asia Minor.) The word Philopatyr is a Greek word which means Father of Love (Patyr = father, Philo = love). His family used to live on hunting wild animals. One day his father Yares, along with his grandfather, were hunting in the forest when they were attacked by a wild beast. The animal jumped on the grandfather, and that scared Yares so much that he fainted.

While he was unconscious, he had a vision: he saw a brilliant light and heard a voice saying, "Yares, I am your God who loves you. I know that you have a good heart and that you hate the pagan idols. I want to inform you that your son Philopatyr will become like a tree bearing good fruits, and because of him, I will bless you and your wife. Philopatyr will be my witness and will defy all prejudice in my name."

It is truly sad that so many people died because they believed a ridiculous story from ancient times.  smh

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, joc said:

It is truly sad that so many people died because they believed a ridiculous story from ancient times.  smh

You mean to say that they had no realistic reason to be there at all.

Right.

What if it had happened in a cinema?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Abramelin said:

You mean to say that they had no realistic reason to be there at all.

Right.

What if it had happened in a cinema?

It has...and in a concert at a club in Rhode Island featuring Great White...but...they were there for entertainment ...not Belief.  So What's your point again?

15 hours ago, joc said:

It has...and in a concert at a club in Rhode Island featuring Great White...but...they were there for entertainment ...not Belief.  So What's your point again?

Entertainment, right.

No 'good reason', just wanting to get entertained.

My point: none had pressing reasons to be where they were. One wanted to celibrate some saint, some others wanted to celibrate a concert.

They had all better stayed at home and watch the event on live tv.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, joc said:

Joc  I am really not religious and I really despise ALL organized religions and the stuff they shove down our throats and into our brains. But, people seek refuge in all kinds of places, churches, mosques, synagogs, or at concerts, football games....if we would all stay in only our safe places.....well lockdowns really were not appriciated. Althogh helpfull in a short term they did cause us all mental problems.

• Like 2

Heck,  I'm a heathen and even I have sought out Christian churches on ocassion. Ritual is a fundamental part of the human experience and certain preyers and chants (such as the rosary) can have a meditative effect and meditative states have a positive effect on the psyche. 

Beyond that I feel that engaging with the divine,  in whatever form is something that gives me,  personally, positive emotions for everyday life. 

So let's not be too harsh on people just for going to a house of worship and engaging in in rituals. There might be other parts of their beliefs that could be second-guessed and discussed,  but the basic practise of going to a house of worship and engaging in ritual is not something,  I personally judge people for. Plus you can die at any moment in any place. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, odas said:

Joc  I am really not religious and I really despise ALL organized religions and the stuff they shove down our throats and into our brains. But, people seek refuge in all kinds of places, churches, mosques, synagogs, or at concerts, football games....if we would all stay in only our safe places.....well lockdowns really were not appriciated. Althogh helpfull in a short term they did cause us all mental problems.

were they seeking refuge or were they attending organized religious services?  I don't know.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joc said:

were they seeking refuge or were they attending organized religious services?  I don't know.  

Refuge in a sense of hope and belonging.

Just now, odas said:

Refuge in a sense of hope and belonging.

I'm sorry...that does not compute.   Hope is not part of my vocabulary.   yeah, I know...I'm not most people...I just think it is very sad that people died like that.  I guess the reason they were there doesn't really matter...but...on the other hand...if people could just get over their archaic, ancient, birth box belief systems...maybe they would not have been gathered together like sheep packed into a chute.  

...never mind...  I'm just always sad when people die that way...

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 12:59 PM, joc said:

maybe they would not have been gathered together like sheep packed into a chute.  

572d8464dd08956c3e8b4573.webp.6d560d8a8eae65bb95a49f6c4052cb6d.webp

38 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

572d8464dd08956c3e8b4573.webp.6d560d8a8eae65bb95a49f6c4052cb6d.webp

You are still missing my point.  And your analogy doesn't really work.  These people in your picture are gathered together for an event outside for the purposes of entertainment...NOT...superstitious belief.  Huge difference.  Plus the people outside are ...outside...and while there are a lot of people in the picture above...they are all sitting in ordered sitting arrangements...there are plenty of exits in the stadium.  The people of the fire in the church were in fact jammed into a building with insufficient exits...liken unto Sheep packed into a chute...

The  glaring difference in your portrayal above is that...they are outside, plenty of exits, and mostly...they are their for entertainment, not Belief.  

One thing in common however...behind the scenes...there are people who are profiting big time off of the people in the stadium...and behind the scenes...there are people profiting big time off of the 'believers' in their Congregation.   

It would be equally sad if anything horrific happened in the stadium.  The difference is one is entertainment while the other is Superstitious Belief.  Sheep packed into a chute have no where to go and they trample each other if something scares them.  

What the hell does it matter why people gather? People gather for many reasons, and religion is just one of them.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 6:59 AM, Abramelin said:

What the hell does it matter why people gather? People gather for many reasons, and religion is just one of them.

You are still missing the point.  It's  more how they were gathered...like jammed into building where occupancy limits weren't in place, where exits weren't sufficient for the number of people and weren't well marked.  And they were jammed in there like sardines in an aluminum can because they were all wanting this 'experience' that only the voodoo belief could get them...that is what is sad.  It is sad because they died for nothing.  They were so consumed with their idiotic belief system they couldn't see the danger.  

On 8/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, joc said:

You are still missing the point.  It's  more how they were gathered...like jammed into building where occupancy limits weren't in place, where exits weren't sufficient for the number of people and weren't well marked.  And they were jammed in there like sardines in an aluminum can because they were all wanting this 'experience' that only the voodoo belief could get them...that is what is sad.  It is sad because they died for nothing.  They were so consumed with their idiotic belief system they couldn't see the danger.  

I really wonder how you would have responded if the church had followed all safety rules, and still burnt down.

Joc, I am not a religious guy myself, but your response to the OP shows you've an axe to grind with religious institutions.

9 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I really wonder how you would have responded if the church had followed all safety rules, and still burnt down.

Joc, I am not a religious guy myself, but your response to the OP shows you've an axe to grind with religious institutions.

I do have an axe to grind with religious organizations that cram the believers in like that...take out the money factor and what do you have really?  The fact is...if the religious organization had followed protocol...there would not have been a problem.  Your superimposing a 'what if" on a tragedy is totally irrelevant. The facts are what the facts are..and at the bottom of it all is a greedy hierarchy of a defunct religious construct that advertised a service for believers who perished in the wake of the religious leaders greed. 

13 hours ago, joc said:

The facts are what the facts are..

The facts are: a church burnt down. Many died.

All the rest is you filling in.

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

The facts are: a church burnt down. Many died.

All the rest is you filling in.

You're kind of slow aren't you.

15 minutes ago, joc said:

You're kind of slow aren't you.

I'm not, but you are a weasel.

3 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I'm not, but you are a weasel.

I'm not.  But you picked a fight....