Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BBC Dismayed by Brexit Blow to ‘Eat the Bugs’ Agenda

itsnotoutthere

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has expressed dismay that Brexit has temporarily delayed efforts to normalise the consumption of bugs to achieve “net zero”.

The state-owned news organisation, funded by a compulsory licence fee which all television viewers and all consumers of BBC iPlayer content online must pay on pain of fines backed by imprisonment, noted that the sale of edible insects in Great Britain became illegal after the end of the so-called Brexit transition period — although not in Northern Ireland, which was surrendered to the European Union as a kind of customs and regulatory semi-colony — in a short video report focused on two so-called “insect farmers” with a clear commercial interest in the “eat the bugs” agenda.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2022/08/09/bbc-dismayed-brexit-blow-eat-bugs-agenda/

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has expressed dismay that Brexit has temporarily delayed efforts to normalise the consumption of bugs to achieve “net zero”.

The state-owned news organisation, funded by a compulsory licence fee which all television viewers and all consumers of BBC iPlayer content online must pay on pain of fines backed by imprisonment, noted that the sale of edible insects in Great Britain became illegal after the end of the so-called Brexit transition period — although not in Northern Ireland, which was surrendered to the European Union as a kind of customs and regulatory semi-colony — in a short video report focused on two so-called “insect farmers” with a clear commercial interest in the “eat the bugs” agenda.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2022/08/09/bbc-dismayed-brexit-blow-eat-bugs-agenda/

I'm surprised even Breibart could include so much right wing nonsense in a single paragraph.Is Keir Starmer going to make gender change compulsory, and are woke Lefty lawyers going to force us all to convert to Islam? And did aliens really change a child into a fish finger?

Edited by Silver
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Has Brexit squashed our edible insect industry?

Hopefully yes. 

The idea of ground up bugs being added to sausages or steak and kidney pies is not particularly appetising. :wacko:

• Thanks 1

Why eat bugs when you can just eat plants, and far less meat? As pretty much all civilizations did in the past.

We've known for a while that a whole food plant-based diet can reverse all sorts of chronic diseases anyway.

Edited by Only_

42 minutes ago, Only_ said:

Why eat bugs when you can just eat plants, and far less meat? As pretty much all civilizations did in the past.

We've known for a while that a whole food plant-based diet can reverse all sorts of chronic diseases anyway.

When did "pretty much all civilizations" only eat plants?   I believe meat was a large part of most diets in the past.  

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

When did "pretty much all civilizations" only eat plants?   I believe meat was a large part of most diets in the past.  

Meat is a luxury item. We've made it ''cheaper'' in modern times with factory farming. Though that comes with hidden costs.

In the past, the average people around the world got the bulk of their calories from starches. Rice, beans, potatoes, whole grains...

Only the rich and royal class could afford to eat meat at every meal. The rest of the population based their diet around the most basic dietary staple: Starch.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Only_ said:

A plant based diet can heal all sorts of chronic diseases but so can a heavily meat based diet. Only difference is that meat diets are sustainable while long term plant based has huge drawbacks from a health perspective whilst also being worse for the environment. It’s processed foods and fructose that are the huge issues in our diets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

A plant based diet can heal all sorts of chronic diseases but so can a heavily meat based diet. Only difference is that meat diets are sustainable while long term plant based has huge drawbacks from a health perspective whilst also being worse for the environment. It’s processed foods and fructose that are the huge issues in our diets.

A high-meat diet is sustainable only if you are well-off, or happen to raise livestock for yourself.

The illusion provided by factory farming is that meat should be available everywhere, for everyone at all time. But it's clearly not sustainable.

That being said, I'm not advocating a ''plant-only diet''. More like a 90-95% plant-based diet which I think is the natural diet for mankind in most places.

Edited by Only_
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Only_ said:

Meat is a luxury item. We've made it ''cheaper'' in modern times with factory farming. Though that comes with hidden costs.

In the past, the average people around the world got the bulk of their calories from starches. Rice, beans, potatoes, whole grains...

Only the rich and royal class could afford to eat meat at every meal. The rest of the population based their diet around the most basic dietary staple: Starch.

I guess I didn't realize you weren't speaking of going very far back in the past when you said "As pretty much all civilizations did in the past."

I was going back beyond the modern times.   For most civilizations meat has been a major part of the diets of the people.   Whether mammoth, deer, fish, crabs or anything else they could hunt for.   Of course plants were also a major part.  

• Like 1

I like eating lobsters and prawns (shrimps) and they are closer to insects than mammals.  I bought some reduced-price lobster tails from Tesco recently (down from £7 each to £1.50 each), fried them in garlic butter, put them in a crusty roll, they were good! First time I have eaten big, meaty, chunks of lobster, and I have had lobster in some restaurants. 

2 hours ago, Only_ said:

Why eat bugs when you can just eat plants, and far less meat?...

Because bugs contain more protein than meat, per weight measurement

16 minutes ago, Silver said:

...lobsters and prawns (shrimps) and they are closer to insects than mammals...

Having 8 legs, they are closer to spiders and scorpions than to insects. Here, impaled and deep fried:

People Share Puzzling Foods That Left Them Regretting Eating It - Oola.com

Yeash

7 minutes ago, Autistocrates said:

Because bugs contain more protein than meat, per weight measurement

Having 8 legs, they are closer to spiders and scorpions than to insects. Here, impaled and deep fried:

People Share Puzzling Foods That Left Them Regretting Eating It - Oola.com

Yes, look what sheep look like after being transported for 7 days in a ship without food or water to slaughter. A bit worse than those insects. What point are you trying to make?

Edited by Silver

On 8/16/2022 at 1:50 AM, Only_ said:

Yes, and the average life span back then was about 40. So three cheers for cheap meat.:tsu:

Edited by itsnotoutthere

11 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Yes, and the average life span back then was about 40. So three cheers for cheap meat.:tsu:

The average lifespan was dragged down by high infant mortality. If you made it to 16, you'd probably make it to 60+.

4 hours ago, Setton said:

The average lifespan was dragged down by high infant mortality. If you made it to 16, you'd probably make it to 60+.

Also dragged down by poor sanitation and lack of modern medicine to cure common ailments.