Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog walker attacked by herd of cows

Silver

A valuable life lesson. Dogs have killed 5 people in the UK this year, and mauled many others. I'm a dog owner (not really, Bella bosses me about) but I wouldn't walk her through a herd of cows:

A dog walker says she feared she would die after being strangled and repeatedly headbutted by a herd of cows in a five-minute-long horror attack by a herd of rampaging cows in Lancashire. 

Sharon Eley was surrounded by 20 cows led by an agitated 'ringleader' which threw her to the ground twice before repeatedly headbutting her, leaving her with 15 broken ribs, a punctured lung, a dislocated and shattered ankle and a broken clavicle. 

The 51-year-old was also nearly garrotted when the strap on her bag wrapped around her throat during the attack, leaving her with a ligature mark around and severe bruising. 

Dog walker, 51, feared she would DIE after she was almost strangled and headbutted by a herd of COWS | Daily Mail Online

Edited by Silver
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

• The title was changed to Dog walker attacked by herd of cows

The title was changed by mods, but what I said was it is pretty stupid to walk a predator animal through a herd of prey animals. Now the title has changed, the post has no point.

10 minutes ago, Silver said:

The title was changed by mods, but what I said was it is pretty stupid to walk a predator animal through a herd of prey animals. Now the title has changed, the post has no point.

Your previous title was "Woman learns not to take possible predator to prey animals" which didn't really represent what the topic was about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that most people don't even think about cows  being dangerous...and it wasn't the dog that set them off either...it was the woman and the dog...but just the woman by herself would have provoked an attack.  

I know this to be true because I was on that same end as a kid.  I was walking out in the pasture behind our house.  There were several cows out there and I got too close and they all started looking at me...one started doing the foot thing they do before they attack, pawing the ground with their hoof.  And then suddenly it was like 1,2, 3 Go!   All the cows started running toward me...so I ran...and they almost caught me because, you cannot outrun a cow...I actually dove under the barbed wire fence just ahead of them.  Scariest thing I have ever encountered.

The thing about cows is...calves.  And most herds have calves.  And calves are like anyone else's babies...the herd is  going to protect it's babies.  We all see cows and they look so docile laying there chewing their cuds...but they are huge animals and they are very aggressive if they feel threatened.  All it takes to threaten them is to be inside their territory.  

Moral of story:  stay away from cows...and donkeys...ever notice how most cow herds also have donkeys?  Donkeys are there to protect the herd against coyotes and a donkey can kill a coyote...they can kill you too...so just leave the farm and ranch animals alone.  They are only your friends when they are on your plate!

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Saru said:

Your previous title was "Woman learns not to take possible predator to prey animals" which didn't really represent what the topic was about.

I think she has leaned, though.

I bought a couple of Jersey steers last week. Friendly yearlings but walking my whippet today through the paddock the cattle took a dim view and started chasing the dog. Whippets can run, really fast but one steer was right on the dog. Luckily she ducked under a fence but I was surprised how fast cattle can skoot.

• Like 5

The widespread network of public footpaths in the UK does make it easier for the great unwashed to come into unexpected contact with livestock. 

Its even possible to walk through farm yards with large machinery in use. 

Surprised there are not more incidents like this but I am not in favor of closing the public footpath and green lane network. 

Although those averse to any risk might like to. :rolleyes:

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 4

Weird,  i knew a farmer guy in the 80s tough as nails type fellow and only one cow got mad at him and tried to kill him doing all the head butting stomping etc, messed him up so i asked what happened to the cow, he said it was a great barbeque.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I was raised with a small heard.  They knew each family member as we fed and milked them.  The cows wouldn't hurt us, but if a stranger came into the fields,  then you would see the difference in the animals.  The bulls were the ones we never trusted, too unpredictable, especially in breeding season.

• Like 4

We own a small patch of land in Dorset. All the horses there are domesticated, but I am still wary. One of the horses sniffed Bella, she bit its lip,it used one of its front feet to kick her into the next county.  We are both more careful now.

• Like 2

Isn't it strange  that most of us on UM are talking about buying animals, when most people are talking about buying food? Are we rich?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver said:

Isn't it strange  that most of us on UM are talking about buying animals, when most people are talking about buying food? Are we rich?

Only in heart and mind ;) I am seriously considering swapping my woodlice for a bluebottle. :tu: 

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Silver said:

Im not buying much of anything i was doing okay then covid and i live hand to mouth now payday to payday if i didnt own my car and home it would have been nasty.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Only in heart and mind ;) I am seriously considering swapping my woodlice for a bluebottle. :tu: 

I started a thread about the cost of living, it was removed. I hope you are okay, LAT. I'm sure you are.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Im not buying much of anything i was doing okay then covid and i live hand to mouth now payday to payday if i didnt own my car and home it would have been nasty.

I hope you are okay?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Silver said:

I hope you are okay?

I am, thank you! :tu:

Im back two nights at the club and hopefully tina will go back to teaching at the college soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, joc said:

...There were several cows out there and I got too close and they all started looking at me...one started doing the foot thing they do before they attack, pawing the ground with their hoof...

Even bovines have their Alpha as leader of the herd. The best way to avoid attack is to back off and break the direct eye contact of which threatens them. My girlfriend owns property of which she leases to a local farmer, so that he could feed his younger bulls and cattle through grazing. One day, we went there, in order to evaluate the young fruit trees of which the farmer had planted, in reimbursement for those damaged by his cattle. Grazing younger bulls were there and I was contemplating going over, in order to pet them. They also stood militarilly in line. My instincts told me not to venture further. As long as we kept our distance and focused our attention away from them, they then left us alone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

The cows are a sweet creatures. They love a music. :)

I think they love more the rancher behind the accordion with the grain buckets...

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, joc said:

I think they love more the rancher behind the accordion with the grain buckets...

May be, but a lot of the animals love a music. My budgie parrot goes crazy of happiness when he hear Stairway to Haven by Led Zepp.  :lol:

• Haha 1

I saved a Long Horn calf once.  Probably the dumbest thing I ever did but I just couldn't drive by after seeing the calf with it's head stuck in the Y of a big tree. I went to a neighbors house...he helped me by fending off the Big Mama Long Horn with a broom handle...

...so picture this...   (and keep in mind how stupid we are when we realize in retrospect what we risk)

This is a big calf...it is up on it's hindlegs and somehow it had gotten it's head wedged between the Y of this big tree...so I straddled the calf and put both arms under him and pulled up...but he weighed too much...so the neighbor grabbed the calves head from the other side of the tree and we both heave-hoed at the same time.

The calf became dislodged and with me straddling it's back went flayling backwards....fortunately we flew off on different paths and it didn't land on me because it would have crushed me for sure.   ...and I landed in some pretty moo-shy LHS.  (long horn stuff)!  

But I saved the calf.  

But what did I save the calf for really?  so it could eventually become bbq on the grill...smh.   ...and I could have been killed...in so many ways...   I don't know this but I think the Mama and the rest of the herd knew we were trying to rescue her baby...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

May be, but a lot of the animals love a music. My budgie parrot goes crazy of happiness when he hear Stairway to Haven by Led Zepp.  :lol:

My sister is a pianist and their dog Vinnie (Boston Terrier) would sit under her grand piano and just sing (howl) while she played...

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, joc said:

stay away from cows...and donkeys...ever notice how most cow herds also have donkeys?  Donkeys are there to protect the herd against coyotes and a donkey can kill a coyote...they can kill you too...so just leave the farm and ranch animals alone

Your not wrong joc, I bought a donkey years ago for my kids to ride and it was great until it's nuts dropped. It ended up crippling my staffy, attacking, biting people and killing the neighbors bull terrier plus 5 sheep I had in the paddock. I sold it being honest with the guy, he nutted it and it ended up taking kids for rides at country fairs. Horrible animal, his name was JC for the cross on his back, lol.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Silver said:

I hope you are okay, LAT. I'm sure you are.

So far so good. But who knows what's around the corner. 

Hope you are keeping head above water.  :tu:

On 8/16/2022 at 4:07 PM, openozy said:

...I bought a donkey years ago for my kids to ride and it was great until it's nuts dropped...

...he nutted it...

The nuts are edible, as is the rest of the donkey:

Mortadella di Asino intera "Nebrodella" | Corte Normanna 2kg - Enhood

• Haha 1